Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

It's really nice to see S1 updated so frequently. I remember when it seemed like forever for updates.

Really great development pace and features.

Video pulled
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Spoiler - lots of small tweaks, nothing big or revolutionary that I can see, but probably a lot of useful workflow features. Presonus probably saving the sexy new features for the paid v5 release (I am assuming this one will be free)

New features overview

Recording and Mixing
• Redesigned hardware controls gain-phase-48V on mixer channels for compatible PreSonus interfaces
• Input Mixer: software gain - phase controls on every input
• Software input gain - phase controls on every channel, bus and FX channel
• Extended grouping system with attributes Volume, Pan, Mute-Solo, Inserts-Sends
• Groups definable as Edit- and-or Mix-Groups
• Commands-shortcuts to suspend any group
• Command to suspend all groups
• Support for unlimited nested groups groups within groups
• New Groups section in Track List and Channel List
• Optional group name displays on channels with Group assign and renaming options
• Customizable Channel Components in Console
• RMS-Peak metering option per channel
• Global Pre-Fader Metering option
• Quick-assign I-O routing for multiple selected channels
• Quick-assign outputs in ascending order
• Basic and Advanced Plug-in menu styles
• Alternative reverse Sidechain routing
• Copy Plug-ins with Sidechain routing

Arrangement and Editing
• Lock Events with position and editing options
• Lock Tracks option
• Independent Quantize-Timebase-Snap options
• Snap to Zero Crossings

Musical MIDI Editing
• Chord Audition option in Chord Selector
• Chord Audition option for chord events in Chord Track
• User assignable Chord Audition sound
• New Major-Minor Triad scales • Re-organized Musical Actions
menu
• Stretch multiple notes by dragging
• Note Action: Apply Scale
• Note Action: Distribute Notes
• Note Action: Randomize Notes
• Note Action: Quantize Notes
• Note Action: Mirror Notes
• Note Action: Repeat Notes to Part End
• Note Action: Thin out Notes • Note Action: Fill with Notes

Workflow
• Independent Macro Toolbars for Arrangement, Music Editor and

Audio Editor
• Macro Toolbar: custom menus
• Macro Toolbar: direct macro editing
• Macro Toolbar: Duplicate Macro command
• Macro Toolbar: “move to Group” command
• Impact XT: drag more than 16 samples or slices
• Patterns: support for Quintuplets - Septuplets resolution
• Improved swing timing for patterns with individual lanes resolution
• Stem Export: quick drag select tracks-channels
• Stem Export: save selection when closing window
• Song Data Import retains “Disabled” track state when importing
• Fat Channel XT modules retain state when switching
• Instrument list: “disable all” option
• Instrument list: “remove unused” option
• Store Presets with folder selection
• Assignable F13-F24 keys • Recall any Marker with
shortcut
• One-step Audioloop export drag&drop
User Interface
• Smooth audio waveforms option
• Macro Toolbar icons update • Sample One XT - Impact XT:
improved unit readouts

Performance
• Improved CPU performance with Multi Instruments
• Improved CPU performance with Mai Tai, Sample One XT, Impact XT and Presence XT

Hardware and Installation
• I-O Setup: add multiple inputs or outputs
• I-O Setup: re-order inputs - outputs with drag & drop
• New Plug-in Manager with filters by format and vendor
• Plug-in Manager: list and reset blacklisted plug-ins individually

Import - Export
• Import - Export I-O Setups
• Video Export option with multiple codec support platform-dependent
• MP3 Export with variable bitrate
• AAC support Import - Export , including ALAC Apple Lossless
• Mono option for Export Mixdown
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I certainly hope that's not the real complete changelog for V4.5. This looks a lot like one of those Reaper update-lists, where with the majority of entries you don't even have a clue what the heck it all means (except with Reaper you get one of these mystery-lists every few days).

I had high hopes that they would finally implement the long overdue and much requested mixer-snapshots in V4.5 - that would a feature worthy of a .5 designation.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

And... still no hardware instruments integration? :(

I was thinking Pipeline was for hardware instruments integration? Unless you mean some specific (Native Instruments) midi controllers...

Blaster wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 am I was thinking Pipeline was for hardware instruments integration? Unless you mean some specific (Native Instruments) midi controllers...
That's for external effects.
Currently there's no way to send midi to external synth and get properly delay compensated audio signal back into S1 realtime. I think most of the major DAWs are doing this.
Or I'm missing something completely :)

tuzemec wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:48 am And... still no hardware instruments integration? :(
That would normally require SysEx for older hardware, and no mention of it on that list.

dellboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 pm
tuzemec wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:48 am And... still no hardware instruments integration? :(
That would normally require SysEx for older hardware, and no mention of it on that list.
It really seems like their initial idea to eschew MIDI was a huge F-up on the part of whoever's idea that was. All these years in and no polyphonic aftertouch, no MPE, no Sysex, no MTC. I suspect when they finally do build in proper MIDI support, it's going to be a huge under-the-hood undertaking. Maybe this all means that 5.0 will be the one that finally addresses that, hence an earlier than expected 4.5 release, but I'm not optimistic based on everything they've put out since 3.64.

Still no support for Komplete Kontrol? Studio One needs way more CPU optimization, not only for multi instruments...

jens wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am I certainly hope that's not the real complete changelog for V4.5. This looks a lot like one of those Reaper update-lists, where with the majority of entries you don't even have a clue what the heck it all means (except with Reaper you get one of these mystery-lists every few days).
True that. :lol: I guess it should serve nowadays' quantitiy over quality mentality... give the audience loads of small changes, and they think that a whole lot has changed. Actually, if you watched the video, it's rather opposite. Very few outstanding changes, while a lot of minor changes. Which is cool, of course, but, i'm a bit sceptic... it appears to me like they wanted to push the .5 update, so they can push a paid version soon again. I hope Studio One doesn't end up in a yearly paid update pattern like Cubase one day. 2 years is already a bit much, especially considering that it's 160-170 € for the update. If that really is the case, then i'll surely end up waiting for a sale, or might even skip versions.

The video export feature is nice but a bit useless without surround sound support.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

TheKid wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm Still no support for Komplete Kontrol? Studio One needs way more CPU optimization, not only for multi instruments...
It doesn't appear in the chagelog, but, in the video, i think they talked about general VST performance improvements, not just for multi instruments, and the Studio One included ones. At least that's how i understood it. Could be wrong.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”