Which DAW for sketching out ideas fast (and easy)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Long time Reaper user and not moving away from that :D

However, I'm looking for a DAW that let me work out ideas quickly and then move that over to reaper for final recording and production. Preferably something pattern-based, limited track count and such is not a problem.

The options I have available (installed) right now are Maschine (came with my Komplete keyboard), Tracktion 7, Ableton Live Lite, Reason Adapted (old version) if I can find the serial again and Caustic 3 windows version.

Before I start to commit a lot of time in trying out those, any ideas and suggestions about those options are welcome. Other suggestions are welcome as well, but it has to be free or cheap (50Euro-ish) available. Any ideas about setting something up inside reaper for this are also much appreciated.

First impressions so far:
- Maschine: workflow is pretty different from what I'm used to with scenes and all that, but plugs into reaper as VST so that's a plus.
- Tracktion 7: took a bit getting used to as well, but already getting there as it seems pretty logical to work with.
- Ableton Live Lite: very limited track count but that can be a plus for inspiration, didn't do anything with it yet.
- Reason Adapted: still have to locate my serial :dog:
- Caustic 3: fairly closed system (no plugins or anything) but again that might be inspirational, also have it running on my tablet which might be a (big) plus.

EDIT:
For those that stumble onto this topic in search of something like this. I've settled on setting up something inside Reaper. The write-up I did on that is here: viewtopic.php?p=7428134#p7428134
Last edited by crimsonwarlock on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

If you like a linear workflow, try MuLab (69 Euro). I find it has a very peaceful, visual, and intuitive interface.
The browser lets you easily audition and drag/drop patterns, and you can save your patterns at different levels: as midi patterns, as instrument patterns, as racks, as sequencer presets, etc.
It has a clean top-level interface but a lot of depth in the modules (it's a modular DAW), context menus, and the audio editor (with terrific pitch/time stretch).
https://www.mutools.com/mulab-product.html
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

For me nothing can beat Maschine for quick sketching.

Peter, WTF! I figured you were dead or something. Do you still have your Orion license? You'll never find anything better than that and you know it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Michael L wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 am If you like a linear workflow, try MuLab (69 Euro). I find it has a very peaceful, visual, and intuitive interface.
They used to have I lite version iirc but not anymore. I would at least play around with it a bit to see if it fits me and timed demos are not working for me as I don't always find the time to try it within the demo period.
Reefius wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:58 am For me nothing can beat Maschine for quick sketching.
I tend to lean that way if only because of the incredible integration with my Komplete Kontrol MKII keyboard. But the actual workflow still doesn't gel with me. Maybe after a while (I've just started exploring it). If you have any links to some beginner tutorials I'm all for it :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

BONES wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 am Peter, WTF! I figured you were dead or something.
I thought the same of you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
BONES wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 am Do you still have your Orion license? You'll never find anything better than that and you know it.
Just checked and yes I still have my license. Just no idea how to get the latest version. Is there even a 64bit version now?

Yeah, has been for years. To be honest, I am waiting around for Cubase to download. If you want, I can get you the latest version of Orion. Just PM me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm primarily a Reaper user but have Ableton Live Intro too, mainly for those moments where you just want to throw things around easily. All the builtin sampling, drum racks etc a lot easier to deal with than Reaper. Then I can pull everything over to Reaper for arrangement and mixing though Live is getting better on the arrangement fron I feel.

Not much help to you but I still use Cakewalk's Project5... only 32 bit, no multicore but simple and fast..
I always associate Orion and Project as being kinda similar.. (I am refering to early Orion, circa 2000).

[/Start of Thread]
crimsonwarlock wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:54 am Long time Reaper user and not moving away from that :D
[/End of Thread]
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Fls fruity edition 89€ (if I remember correctly). Just stick with pattern mode and it's quick as heck. Also works as vst in reaper :tu:

For me its an empty project with a pure piano and audio track. When I want to get 'experimental', anything works if you have sources (vsts, physical instruments, effects, samples, etc) for the type of experiment you're looking for. I prefer Reason for experimenting overall, but that's because I've planned and created rack ideas for many years.
Have you tried Vital?

BONES wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 am Yeah, has been for years. To be honest, I am waiting around for Cubase to download. If you want, I can get you the latest version of Orion. Just PM me.
PM send :D

Aloysius wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 am [/Start of Thread]
crimsonwarlock wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:54 am Long time Reaper user and not moving away from that :D
[/End of Thread]
:hihi:

BONES wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 am Peter, WTF! I figured you were dead or something. Do you still have your Orion license? You'll never find anything better than that and you know it.
:hug:
yes, 4 years without posting !
You can use Orion, 32 or 64 bits :love:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”