Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Make a new 'Reason' from the ground up that supports modern monitor resolutions and hardware

Move the current Reason to a Reason Classic and update and maintain it for a few years then discontinue support.

Give everyone on Reason Classic path a generous crossgrade offer into the new 'Reason' software.

They should turn Reason into a hardware workstation.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

How about, instead of spending the next 5 years trying to be more like linear style DAWs, and trying to accommodate singer/songwriter types, they could go back to their roots that attracted their user base in the first place?

Why not build upon their wiring concept and push it forward? Why not bring the cables to the front of the DAW and harness the power of the modular system?

Sure, there are plenty of modular instruments already available, but what if it was all tightly integrated within the DAW? Wouldn't that attract the modular, cv and hardware crowd, instead of trying for the linear based community? Because, there are already plenty of DAWs vying for that space in the audio world.

An example would be Live and Bitwig carving out their own niche in the marketplace.

Reason suffers from an identity crisis and really should consider going back to their roots and pushing that concept forward into the future, instead of trying to be like everyone else.

ictools wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:42 pm Image

How about, instead of spending the next 5 years trying to be more like linear style DAWs, and trying to accommodate singer/songwriter types, they could go back to their roots that attracted their user base in the first place?

Why not build upon their wiring concept and push it forward? Why not bring the cables to the front of the DAW and harness the power of the modular system?

Sure, there are plenty of modular instruments already available, but what if it was all tightly integrated within the DAW? Wouldn't that attract the modular, cv and hardware crowd, instead of trying for the linear based community? Because, there are already plenty of DAWs vying for that space in the audio world.

An example would be Live and Bitwig carving out their own niche in the marketplace.

Reason suffers from an identity crisis and really should consider going back to their roots and pushing that concept forward into the future, instead of trying to be like everyone else.
But Reason never left its roots. Propellerhead never changed its identity, it hasn't changed much at all. It's kept the same "rewired synth playground in a hardware-type environment" idea since inception. And with REs and now VSTs, theres even more of the same, too much more in fact, and there's no reason to change that, nor re-envision how its done.

I haven't seen anyone at all request Reason to be more like any other 'linear daws', at least not in the two site forums Reason users congregate.

See below, it's all that is needed.
Have you tried Vital?

EnochLight wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 pm
Psuper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 pm The gaming history from Mattias is in the equivalent 'ceo' thread in RT where he talks about Blizzard. I just didn't elaborate because it's not worth it, nor relevant except in the way I explained it.
Ah, right - I got you. I just read that part. Yeah I don't really have an opinion on that part. I have a friend who worked for Blizzard in their IT upper management in Texas, and left when they started doing a bunch of restructuring years ago. He got out then because he said things weren't looking good from a staff point of view, but apparently Blizzard are doing just fine right now. Whether that had to do with them laying off staff or not is beyond me, but... you can only trim so much fat.
You need to see more news about Activision-Blizzard (and the rest of that horrible industry). It’s a Wall Street feeding frenzy. Becoming all too common in the game industry. Developers are treated like garbage. Studios are being run into the ground by “publishers”. Layoffs are happening during record profits. Etc. Watch some industry report videos by Jim Sterling and YongYea.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

ictools wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 pm
4. Mobile music making has tried for the past 5+ years to make a dent in the market. There just isn't enough processor power, memory and storage to be consider anything more then a basic noise generator, an assistant or control device.
I’m not a mobile music guy (well, I use mobile apps to make music, but usually as external hardware added to my DAW setup), and even I know that you’re way WAY off here. You should spend more time on websites like https://discchord.com/ and watch videos by people like Jakob Haq. There are MANY people “doing it all” on mobile equipment. iOS is WAY ahead of Linux-based devices in terms of music products and musician usage. Some people actually use nothing but an iPad.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Psuper wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:00 pm
2. Mobile is a waste of time. Makes money though, and fun to toy around, but a waste of time overall and won't help anyone who takes their music even somewhat seriously. And considering they focus on only half of that market (apple), its a wash.
Maybe for YOU it’s “a waste of time”, but you aren’t the model for all musicians. You also sound terribly uninformed with this commentary. See my other response to this bit...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 pm
Psuper wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:00 pm
2. Mobile is a waste of time. Makes money though, and fun to toy around, but a waste of time overall and won't help anyone who takes their music even somewhat seriously. And considering they focus on only half of that market (apple), its a wash.
Maybe for YOU it’s “a waste of time”, but you aren’t the model for all musicians. You also sound terribly uninformed with this commentary. See my other response to this bit...
Thanks for putting so much weight into my opinion! I stand by it, waste of time.
Have you tried Vital?

ictools wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:21 pm1. RE's are a form of proprietary and exclusivity that no longer has it's usefulness since VST's were introduce within Reason. But, they can still be utilized for their "stock plugins" and the occasional exclusive to Reason only device.
That's a pretty narrow-minded point of view characteristic of someone who never used them.

1) REs are integrated with Reason, i.e. they're all visible in the Rack side by side without need to pop out a new window

2) Integration goes much further with cables on the back, that allow for modulation of parameters, capturing audio to the effects chain, tapping to the internal sequencers or LFOs to use by other devices, etc.

3) All of the REs you own - from Propellerhead and 3rd party - are available in your account, which means they install & update with a single click. Installing Reason + all the instruments/fx on a new computer is just few clicks, one login & password. Try that with VSTs...

4) REs never crash, because they're sandboxed

5) There's lots of unique devices that have no equivalent on the VST market, especially sequencers, CV utilities and/or modulation / experimental devices, that use and enhance the integration with the Rack as I described in #1-2

Therefore me and many others still buy new REs, because they're what makes Reason special and unique. You might not see the use for them, but do. Lots of REs are rivaling premium VSTs in terms of workflow and sound quality, like Expanse, Vk2, Antidote, Parsec, Nostromo and perhaps there's fewer of them, but it's not like having 100 VSTs will help you make better music... Despite owning well over 100 VSTs, I've disabled them in Reason because I've more than enough tools there, both native & 3rd party.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ictools wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:42 pmReason suffers from an identity crisis and really should consider going back to their roots and pushing that concept forward into the future, instead of trying to be like everyone else.
Say what? :o :dog:

Reason has a much stronger *identity* than Cubase, Studio One, Logic, Reaper or ProTools that are largely interchangeable.
Music tech enthusiast

ictools wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm 1. recent expansion of its management team

2. an entrepreneurial leader with experience from both large and small organizations.

3. take the company on an expansion journey where we reach new target groups

4. entrepreneurial approach is an amazing fit for what we need as a company

5. By building upon their legacy and making music making even more accessible

6. building on that foundation, growing the user base of both the desktop and mobile products.

Looks more like a business plan, then a musically journey, unlike Presonus. Which will take a lot of time, energy and money away from Reason. Good luck, but this is the same mistakes they have already made several times.
It appears that Propellerheads are heading in another totally saturated direction.

antic604 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm Reason has a much stronger *identity* than Cubase, Studio One, Logic, Reaper or ProTools that are largely interchangeable.
Arguable. Cubase always has been what it is now, and, Reaper is customize galore for its users. Pro Tools also has a pretty clear identity, which is catering to mastering studios.

In fact, Propellerhead seems to be turning everything around recently. New owners, which obvious have a different vision, VST support after years of arguing that Reason doesn't need it (and let's not forget the implementation of RE before that, after years of arguing that Reason doesn't need to open up to third party plugins), a new CEO after Ernst Nathorst-Böös resigned... i would say ictools has quite a point saying Reason has some sort of idenitity crisis. Or let's rather say... the people in charge don't seem to know exactly where they want to steer the ship to.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:19 pm
antic604 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm Reason has a much stronger *identity* than Cubase, Studio One, Logic, Reaper or ProTools that are largely interchangeable.
Arguable. Cubase always has been what it is now, and, Reaper is customize galore for its users. Pro Tools also has a pretty clear identity, which is catering to mastering studios.
No, I meant distinct in terms of workflow or ways to create music - they're all traditional, linear sequencers and moving from one to the others isn't a paradigm shift like it can be going to Bitwig, Live or Reason.
Music tech enthusiast

What is less traditional and linear about Reason's sequencer?

The one thing which set Reason apart from other sequencer programs was its self contained environment, which let you start making music from the start with what you got. Now that they opened up to RE's and VST's, i don't see that anymore. Other sequencer programs have quite extensive routing possibilities by now as well. Just saying that they somehow lost the plot what Reason always was about, probably the concept has outlived itself by now.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun May 19, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, he did say "sit back and watch the speculation" :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”