Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
Psuper
KVRist
262 posts since 3 May, 2018

Post Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am

EnochLight wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am
reggie1979 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am
I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
It was largely unmoderated, and lacking modern features most forums have. If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF. That's not to say that there wasn't a good community lurking underneath all that. Many of the members migrated to Reaontalk.
That's the spin that Propellerhead used to justify the shutdown, however the reality was it was a vibrant forum poorly moderated, and for every idiot post there was hundreds of good ones - like everything in life and same as modern forums. It was also a killer treasure trove of information lost in an instant due to poor managements on Props part.

However I also doubt many of you were actually a part of it, regardless that you say so, because people did not migrate to Reasontalk - that site came much later than the one most of us migrated to. I won't even mention it yet, I'm curious if anyone here even knows.
Cubase has won the Prize! :party:
...I now need nothing but more hours in a day.

reggie1979
KVRian
799 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 11:21 am

EnochLight wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am
reggie1979 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am
I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
It was largely unmoderated, and lacking modern features most forums have. If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF. That's not to say that there wasn't a good community lurking underneath all that. Many of the members migrated to Reaontalk.
Yeah, that place seems pretty cool.

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1296 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 11:26 am

Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am
EnochLight wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am
reggie1979 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am
I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
It was largely unmoderated, and lacking modern features most forums have. If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF. That's not to say that there wasn't a good community lurking underneath all that. Many of the members migrated to Reaontalk.
That's the spin that Propellerhead used to justify the shutdown, however the reality was it was a vibrant forum poorly moderated, and for every idiot post there was hundreds of good ones - like everything in life and same as modern forums. It was also a killer treasure trove of information lost in an instant due to poor managements on Props part.
Most of that treasure trove of information was extremely dated - especially by modern expectations. It's strange - I was a regular member there that spent a good amount of my time goofing off as well as helping, and made some friends there. Yet I don't have nearly as much invested in the loss of that place.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am
However I also doubt many of you were actually a part of it, regardless that you say so, because people did not migrate to Reasontalk - that site came much later than the one most of us migrated to. I won't even mention it yet, I'm curious if anyone here even knows.
That's rather presumptuous. Also, who cares about a failed forum attempt? I can't even remember the name of it (that's how forgettable it was). And yeah, most migrated to Reasontalk. Whether it happened before or after, that's where most ended up.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 | Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

Psuper
KVRist
262 posts since 3 May, 2018

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm

EnochLight wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:26 am
Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am
EnochLight wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am
reggie1979 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am
I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
It was largely unmoderated, and lacking modern features most forums have. If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF. That's not to say that there wasn't a good community lurking underneath all that. Many of the members migrated to Reaontalk.
That's the spin that Propellerhead used to justify the shutdown, however the reality was it was a vibrant forum poorly moderated, and for every idiot post there was hundreds of good ones - like everything in life and same as modern forums. It was also a killer treasure trove of information lost in an instant due to poor managements on Props part.
Most of that treasure trove of information was extremely dated - especially by modern expectations. It's strange - I was a regular member there that spent a good amount of my time goofing off as well as helping, and made some friends there. Yet I don't have nearly as much invested in the loss of that place.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dead wrong, and you know it, or at least you should. The stuff that Reason could do in Ver 3 (when I hopped on board) is largely the same. The vast majority of tutorials from years ago concerning the devices and effects that were released then, are still valid today.
Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am
However I also doubt many of you were actually a part of it, regardless that you say so, because people did not migrate to Reasontalk - that site came much later than the one most of us migrated to. I won't even mention it yet, I'm curious if anyone here even knows.
That's rather presumptuous. Also, who cares about a failed forum attempt? I can't even remember the name of it (that's how forgettable it was). And yeah, most migrated to Reasontalk. Whether it happened before or after, that's where most ended up.
Presumptuous is a bold foolhardy assumption which it's not. It's factual experience which is the opposite of presuming. My point is people (any people) who speak from the prism of 'experience' having 'been there' largely are wrong. Specifically they characterize one of the greatest failures of Propellerheads forum speak from spin, instead of actually being there in any genuine capacity. And there were a lot of us who looked elsewhere quickly, and it wasn't RT.

The Prop forums weren't bad at all compared to the septic vitriol found in most forums today, and I'd rather hear genuine opinions even if not eloquently spoken, than any moderated fanboy demands like that from RT. The greater point is there is nothing remotely useful to users or prop developers today like the old prop forums, which is how this part of the conversation started.
Cubase has won the Prize! :party:
...I now need nothing but more hours in a day.

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1296 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm
Presumptuous is a bold foolhardy assumption which it's not. It's factual experience which is the opposite of presuming.
How can you possibly sit there and claim you're being "factual" when you're accusing people who claim to have been apart of the PUF... as liars? Simply put - you presume too much, and have no data to back up your claim. Yes, it's presumptuous. I mean, unless you have proof?
Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm
My point is people (any people) who speak from the prism of 'experience' having 'been there' largely are wrong.
The thing is, saying something over and over again doesn't make it true. You claim the PUF shutting down was a travesty with a wealth of information lost, and it wasn't an unmoderated shit show. I'm calling bullshit, because we clearly have very different perspectives. But I suppose you have no more proof than I have, right?
Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm
Specifically they characterize one of the greatest failures of Propellerheads forum speak from spin, instead of actually being there in any genuine capacity. And there were a lot of us who looked elsewhere quickly, and it wasn't RT.
Yet it's so strange - as RT is the place where most of us went. Go figure! :party: You can call it spin. The fact of the matter was it turned into a shit show, and an unmoderated one at that.
Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm
The Prop forums weren't bad at all compared to the septic vitriol found in most forums today, and I'd rather hear genuine opinions even if not eloquently spoken, than any moderated fanboy demands like that from RT.
Ahhhh - there it is. :lol:
Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm
The greater point is there is nothing remotely useful to users or prop developers today like the old prop forums, which is how this part of the conversation started.
No offense, but you are clearly disconnected from reality. There are a ton more resources available today than ever existed back in those forum-only days - both for users and devs. You think that Props don't run a forum specifically for devs or alphas? You think that all of the [[FREE]] tools available such as Facebook and other social networking infrastructures aren't just as useful? I mean seriously - what decade are you living in, Psuper? :o :lol: :o
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 | Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

reggie1979
KVRian
799 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 pm

I'm sorry I brought it up you guys! :lol:

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1296 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 5:25 pm

reggie1979 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 pm
I'm sorry I brought it up you guys! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 | Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

Psuper
KVRist
262 posts since 3 May, 2018

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 5:51 pm

First of all, I only mentioned RT is because its a safe space for Reason users, a very small space at that, and not friendly to criticism, and quite unlike most genuinely neutral moderators of forums which this conversation is entirely about. RT loves to talk shit about KVR, maybe some of it is deserved but I've yet to see it -- I've seen idiots banned for being idiots, but never for being intelligent or critical, quite unlike RT.

Regardless, I'm one of the few who have a consistent proven record of neutrality, especially of Reason. Its fine that few ever complains when I point out the good, but you guys love to jump on people pointing out the bad. At least your honest about your username, and I actually always have enjoyed creative conversations with you, but you've grown more fannie of late. Which since we're being sensitive, is fine, I'm on/off fannie too, off right now.

As for the "liar" stuff (bit over-dramatic), I didn't call anyone a liar, I simply implied that those "facts" aren't facts. Its the "I was there so know for sure" that makes one look rocky, not necessarily a liar, but certainly doesn't seem truthful to me, since I know I "was there".

Now if we're done with the attempt of personal jibes and forum epeen...

The only 'repetition' that keeps being repeated is the tribe of you who verbatim repeat crap about how terrible the Prop forums were. I'm one of the FEW voices around here calling bullshit because it is, I was there, and its bullshit.

Here's what you said (and other say in other ways, but the same junk):
EnochLight wrote:If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF."
As for proof of those facts, well we can't go back in time. Or can we? I can pull up the internet archive links if you like and prove it. Should I? It certainly paints an undeniable factually clear picture of overall engaged maturity, at least in the glimpses found in the archive, as opposed to your statement I quoted.

And as for resources, well I'd certainly hope that 5 more years of booming internet and video would product more resources, not only more, but better quality. But to say:
EnochLight wrote: Most of that treasure trove of information was extremely dated
about Reason is laughable man, I already explained why.

Regardless, here's an emote to make it all better :party:
Cubase has won the Prize! :party:
...I now need nothing but more hours in a day.

User avatar
Benedict
KVRAF
2859 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 6:25 pm

I was a long-time active (known name) on the old PUF. Technology-wise it was a bit of a dinosaur and needed a new structure.

Most of the time I was there PUF was a great place (KVR was renown for flaming and generally name-calling at that time). Sadly, fairly quickly a growing group of Trolly people took over and resisted sane moderation. For Props it was becoming a losing thing with the need for costs against an increasingly (yet baselessly) antagonistic set of users. I was sad they killed PUF but it was the right move at the time.

RT was pretty good for some time but they allowed the same types of people to take control so most of the best people have left. Oddly enough, right now KVR is a nicer place to be. Not exactly free of persnickety flamers, but better. I wrote this recently about these exact issues.

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2019/05/0 ... mmunities/

:-)

reggie1979
KVRian
799 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Interesting insight as I'm pretty new to this crap. I just remember people not liking that forum. Seems as though like all, there was some good with the bad.

@Moderation: I like that KVR is lightly moderated. Not like gearslutz with 5200 moderators, all with different opinions, attitudes and justices :lol: All I want, is to chat about sh......t. Not looking for crazy stuff.

User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
5092 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 pm

I found lots of useful info on the original Propellerhead forum. I also found a lot of extremely unhelpful jackass fanboys. Losing one just to get out of dealing with the other was a poor choice. But hey, that’s business today: throw the product out there and have no interaction with the consumer. I mean, yeah, most companies who host forums never interact with the users, but at least they host official user to user forums. Props dropped that like it was hot garbage. An expense that supports users is a worthwhile expense. Killing things like that is never a good sign.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

User avatar
Benedict
KVRAF
2859 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Tue May 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Props have never had a lot of close interaction with every user. This is not a bad thing. It helps them to stay focused on the long game and not get dragged down every rabbit hole. That said I see them respond to things on FB far more than they ever used to. Just note that they tend to ignore poorly presented arguments so if you wade in spitting bile and shoulds and every other DAW type stuff, they pass by. I have seen several Devs get destroyed by letting the wrong type of users (or non-users as is often the case) get in their heads.

KVR now seems an interesting situation as while I haven't been back long, I have yet to see a Mod in action but equally, I have seen no great need. Maybe I have just chosen my thready carefully enough or there are enough firm hands (or hard-asses like Vurt & BONES) to head-off the average troll off before they get very far. Conversations veer but don't seem to go too far over the edge naturally. Good to see.

:-)

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1296 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Wed May 22, 2019 3:31 am

Psuper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:51 pm
First of all, I only mentioned RT is because its a safe space for Reason users, a very small space at that, and not friendly to criticism, and quite unlike most genuinely neutral moderators of forums which this conversation is entirely about. RT loves to talk shit about KVR, maybe some of it is deserved but I've yet to see it -- I've seen idiots banned for being idiots, but never for being intelligent or critical, quite unlike RT.

Regardless, I'm one of the few who have a consistent proven record of neutrality, especially of Reason. Its fine that few ever complains when I point out the good, but you guys love to jump on people pointing out the bad. At least your honest about your username, and I actually always have enjoyed creative conversations with you, but you've grown more fannie of late. Which since we're being sensitive, is fine, I'm on/off fannie too, off right now.

As for the "liar" stuff (bit over-dramatic), I didn't call anyone a liar, I simply implied that those "facts" aren't facts. Its the "I was there so know for sure" that makes one look rocky, not necessarily a liar, but certainly doesn't seem truthful to me, since I know I "was there".

Now if we're done with the attempt of personal jibes and forum epeen...

The only 'repetition' that keeps being repeated is the tribe of you who verbatim repeat crap about how terrible the Prop forums were. I'm one of the FEW voices around here calling bullshit because it is, I was there, and its bullshit.

Here's what you said (and other say in other ways, but the same junk):
EnochLight wrote:If you think trolling and junk posts are a problem here, magnify that issue by a factor of 10, and that was the PUF."
As for proof of those facts, well we can't go back in time. Or can we? I can pull up the internet archive links if you like and prove it. Should I? It certainly paints an undeniable factually clear picture of overall engaged maturity, at least in the glimpses found in the archive, as opposed to your statement I quoted.

And as for resources, well I'd certainly hope that 5 more years of booming internet and video would product more resources, not only more, but better quality. But to say:
EnochLight wrote: Most of that treasure trove of information was extremely dated
about Reason is laughable man, I already explained why.

Regardless, here's an emote to make it all better :party:
I’ve seen quite a few people get banned here, but the mods are incredibly slow. It’s improved compared to years ago, though. It’s a lot easier for people who were banned to re-appear under different user names. ;)

As per usual, we’ll have to agree to disagree. You’re certainly a fanboi in your own right (as we all are).

I’ve never been a fan of people who change their screen names. It seems dishonest.
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 | Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
Stupid American Pig
KVRAF
7053 posts since 25 Nov, 2002 from not sure

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Wed May 22, 2019 3:43 am

Ive largely stopped using Reason, as the VST support ended up making it mostly unusable for me. I still use it as a non vst sketchpad, but the performance with UAD and reason was really bad. I saw there is a 10.x patch that should fix this as they re-wrote the engine, which I havent tried. couple of questions:

1) am I the only one having the problem? I worked with propellerheads support for a time and they acknowledged what I was saying but never promised a fix.
2) anyone with the same problem experience any improvement with new builds?

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1296 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Post Wed May 22, 2019 3:51 am

Stupid American Pig wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:43 am
Ive largely stopped using Reason, as the VST support ended up making it mostly unusable for me. I still use it as a non vst sketchpad, but the performance with UAD and reason was really bad. I saw there is a 10.x patch that should fix this as they re-wrote the engine, which I havent tried. couple of questions:

1) am I the only one having the problem? I worked with propellerheads support for a time and they acknowledged what I was saying but never promised a fix.
2) anyone with the same problem experience any improvement with new builds?
Why don't you just install the latest update and see if it works for you?
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 | Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”