Bitwig 3 Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm So basically you're paying the same as a brand new license on every major version. That's what I call a rip-off.
100% correct. People seem not to understand math nowadays. Generous deals like FL Studio aside. Sane companies end around update prices of $50-80 (in sales). I can accept that for the additional work. $160 every year seems plain stupid to me. The other Berlin based company (A.) is even more greedy. Maybe too much party residues in the water :D

antic604 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 pm "you don't have to upgrade every year" aside, do you always convert everything into money?

Because for me it's much more important to feel inspired and actually have fun doing something.
When I encounter the annoyances I listed before, my inspiration quickly dies.

Bitwig started out with a lot of potential, and I immediately purchased it when it was released back in 2014. But v1 was a disaster... for every bug they fixed they introduced 2 new ones.
Then v2 got released and I got excited again.... until I found out about their new pricing model.
But I did upgrade to v2 (one of my weakest moments :hihi: ) and tried to like it, but got annoyed every time by those annoyances I mentioned.
It could still have huge potential, but not with the current pricing model and the fact that they only keep adding new stuff without addressing all the annoyances. New stuff means new customers and more money coming in. To me it looks like Bitwig quickly changed from a promising project into a money grabbing machine.
Last edited by Reefius on Fri May 10, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As much as I don't like their pricing model and I was very much against it there's actually a good way to handle it - wait until you actually need to upgrade and stay on the current version. This of course means you need to keep your GAS under control :D

Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pmWhen I encounter the annoyances I listed before, my inspiration quickly dies.
Same for me, when I can't do complex FX chains, easy parameter modulations or use clip launcher in Cubase...

As I said, you can't expect everyone to need or appreciate the same features, because if that was the case we'd only have single DAW.

But I guess you still don't get it :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

akeia wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm So basically you're paying the same as a brand new license on every major version. That's what I call a rip-off.
100% correct. People seem not to understand math nowadays. Generous deals like FL Studio aside. Sane companies end around update prices of $50-80 (in sales). I can accept that for the additional work. $160 every year seems plain stupid to me. The other Berlin based company (A.) is even more greedy. Maybe too much party residues in the water :D
Perhaps get a proper job if 50-100$ a year is end of the world for you?
Music tech enthusiast

Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pmBut v1 was a disaster... for every bug they fixed they introduced 2 new ones.
And how's that working in Live for you? Why was v10 in beta for 5 months and 10.1 is still in beta though it was announced in early Feb '19? Or how about when Steinberg took few months very recently to squash a very notorious bug with windows sizes/spacing getting out of shape?

You have selective (and biased...) memory.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:19 pm
akeia wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 pm
Perhaps get a proper job if 50-100$ a year is end of the world for you?
You seem not able to understand the words I wrote. Not to mention the math involved. Amazing :party:

antic604 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:23 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pmBut v1 was a disaster... for every bug they fixed they introduced 2 new ones.
And how's that working in Live for you? Why was v10 in beta for 5 months and 10.1 is still in beta though it was announced in early Feb '19? Or how about when Steinberg took few months very recently to squash a very notorious bug with windows sizes/spacing getting out of shape?

You have selective (and biased...) memory.
So now you're comparing Live beta's to official Bitwig updates? Maybe you have a point, because the first three years with Bitwig 1.x seemed like one big beta :lol:

Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:02 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm some blah blah... some lies.... more blah blah... more lies
a predictable troll
I stated facts, and you reply with 'lies' without any proof of those 'lies'. So who's trolling here?
you are

You've all got different wants and needs and you're all able to buy (or not buy) whatever software you like. Why the need to justify your choices to strangers on the internet? Just use whatever you like and stop caring what anyone else thinks - it doesn't impact you at all.

You can also change your mind and switch DAWs any time you like, or use more than one. Whatever you like. Everyone relax and enjoy whatever you're using!

Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:34 pm So now you're comparing Live beta's to official Bitwig updates? Maybe you have a point, because the first three years with Bitwig 1.x seemed like one big beta :lol:
No, I'm just saying that in that same time Bitwig is able to release 1-2 point releases, while Ableton still fights with bugs. And it's not like there won't be any when it's finally out. 10 wasn't problem free and 9 was a huge disaster, with people going back to 8.
Music tech enthusiast

pdxindy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm some blah blah... some lies.... more blah blah... more lies
a predictable troll
I stated facts, and you reply with 'lies' without any proof of those 'lies'. So who's trolling here?
you are
Once again no valid arguments. :dog:

Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pmI stay away from Bitwig
except to come in Bitwig threads and be a dick
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pmLet's do some math (sales are not counted because almost every DAW is on sale at some point)
Sales do count because they are different on the different pricing models

If a paid Cubase or Live update comes out, you would have to wait for quite some months to get a sale price. With Bitwig, I can purchase an upgrade at a sale price before my current 12 months expires. So I get a sale price and never have a gap, never have to miss having the new features immediately in order to get the sale price. Big difference between those two and one way the Bitwig model is better.
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pmor buy Ableton Live and update it for over 20 years (at 4 years per major version)
Ableton Live has averaged less than 2 years between paid upgrades over its life.
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pmEveryone who paid for the Bitwig v2 update when it was released has already paid $340 for v2 (2017 + 2018)
More false information. I paid $270 (as I have stated to you before, but you would rather spread false info than be honest)

antic604 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:44 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:34 pm So now you're comparing Live beta's to official Bitwig updates? Maybe you have a point, because the first three years with Bitwig 1.x seemed like one big beta :lol:
No, I'm just saying that in that same time Bitwig is able to release 1-2 point releases, while Ableton still fights with bugs. And it's not like there won't be any when it's finally out. 10 wasn't problem free and 9 was a huge disaster, with people going back to 8.
With Live version 8 Ableton had to make a public statement halting development to focus on stability because users were so pissed off at all the bugs/crashes. They spent more than a year just on bug fixing an already shipped version.

Reefius wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 pm
a predictable troll
you are
Once again no valid arguments. :dog:
You don't have the slightest interest in honest discussion... any valid arguments I make are for others... you are nothing but a waste of time.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”