Bitwig 3 Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm happy for you modular guys but myself hope The Grid finishes off with 3.0 and that Bitwig focuses on the GUI performance from now.
Bitwig

^^^ not just for modularheadz, it quite good for DIY fx units guys too :D (copied Reason Alligator)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfr7hAe4HTM
preset is here viewtopic.php?f=259&t=525425
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Everyone still pleased with the grid? I'm thinking about getting in on this Bitwig sale. I was surprised to find this thread so quiet since mid-May.

I would definitely want it if I could use it more easily with other DAW's in Windows (Rewire or VST). I tried briefly with Jack Audio, but it seems to be a bit complicated to properly set up (as in it didn't work after 5-10 minutes). That said, I do have the Bitwig 8-track version and I'm wondering if it will have full access to the grid devices.

I tried, at least the betas don‘t. It could change though, but Phase-4 is also locked out of the 8-track...

jsp1979 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:56 pm Everyone still pleased with the grid? I'm thinking about getting in on this Bitwig sale. I was surprised to find this thread so quiet since mid-May.
Most of the discussion happens in the Bitwig forum

The Grid is excellent. I'm pleased with it and no gotchas have appeared. I mostly build basic synths. Plus some FX. One does not need to be a coder at all to find the Grid useful.

So suppose I want to combine a granular osc plus a couple osc's with FM and pass that through dual filters it is super easy to do.

I was trying the demo of 2.5(or whatever the latest release is) on Sunday. Didn't make the best first impression as simply adding my vst folders was a bit of a headache. Tried Studio One and sure enough I just had the usual toolbar on top went into options and added the folder.
That being said, everyone seems to love the grid in the new version, so I'll try the beta before giving up on it. I suck at Reaktor, so if there's a quick and easy way to accomplish all the same things and/or more, that's very intriguing.

As for the pricing model, it does seem pretty awful on first impressions. There are other dumb pricing policies around though. Cubase requiring a dongle to just demo the full version. lol. FL Studio of course is in it's own universe for pricing.

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:15 pmI was trying the demo of 2.5(or whatever the latest release is) on Sunday. Didn't make the best first impression as simply adding my vst folders was a bit of a headache. Tried Studio One and sure enough I just had the usual toolbar on top went into options and added the folder.
Well, this is exactly how it works in Bitwig as well (just click the Bitwig icon up top and it's in one of the tabs in Settings), with the added benefit that Bitwig will add the plugins immediately, even if you install new ones on your PC/MAC when Bitwig is running! S1 requires restart to even notice the added folders...

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:15 pmAs for the pricing model, it does seem pretty awful on first impressions. There are other dumb pricing policies around though. Cubase requiring a dongle to just demo the full version. lol. FL Studio of course is in it's own universe for pricing.
It's a really simple model - you're buying current version and get 12 months of free upgrades (e.g. buy 2.5 now, you'll get 3.0 within a month or so and even 4.0 if that was released within 12 months). After 12 months passes you're staying at the last version you had (+bug fixes) and then - when new versions include new features you want - you can pay $169 ($129 on sale like we have now), receive that version plus 12 months of free upgrades on top of it. Rinse & repeat.

It's only awful if you hate paying for what you care for, which would be strange ;) :P

I wouldn't use FL if someone was paying money to me, but that's personal preference.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 am I wouldn't use FL if someone was paying money to me, but that's personal preference.
FL has the same clip launcher based workflow as Bitwig has, just it hasn't got that sophisticated modulator framework (but has multi-arranger, nice channel-rack for scratchpad and far better piano roll)although its controllers are still usable for basic modulations (and has Patcher too for complex ones) so Byome/Triad is a must have in it but otherwise quite cool and usable system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO3L3Xjrq8E

07:08 > clip launcher part

fun fact cv out is coming :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ToIx-reRs

xbitz wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:28 am
antic604 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 am I wouldn't use FL if someone was paying money to me, but that's personal preference.
FL has the same clip launcher based workflow as Bitwig has...
It's not because it doesn't have something. It's because it has too much of everything and it's a cluttered mess or multi-level manus and windows. I've tried it 3 times already. It's just not for me. And it still looks like the toy it was in late 90s...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm
It's not because it doesn't have something. It's because it has too much of everything and it's a cluttered mess or multi-level manus and windows. I've tried it 3 times already. It's just not for me. And it still looks like the toy it was in late 90s...
FL has lots and lots of 'stuff' like animated dancing people (?) but personally I hate the workflow- Bitwig and FL are not remotely similar.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

the workflow of FL is different for sure but so versatile to can be used based on the same logic as Bitwig, just instead of different containers Patcher has to be used for grouping(wiring) things together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAHihxbsjc

and because FL is fully modular DAW yepp has "lots and lots" stuff for ex. even games can be created with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PadghJOWgCc
:D so I definitely wouldn't underestimate it just because it looks like a "like the toy it was in late 90" :party:

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:37 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm
FL has lots and lots of 'stuff' like animated dancing people (?) but personally I hate the workflow- Bitwig and FL are not remotely similar.
I also want nothing to do with FL

I own FL Studio, but never felt fully comfortable with it. Believe me - I have given the program really a fair chance, but at the end it just won't "click" with me. For me Bitwig has simply a very relaxed interface and workflow that makes things easy and fast. I feel comfortable with Bitwig in a way I never was with FL Studio. Sure - You can mimic the Bitwig layout somewhat with FL Studio, but it is far from the same. Mind you, I do not say FL Studio is worthless or something, but I do not think the average Bitwig user would consider a "jump" to FL Studio.

So - Sorry xbitz, you can spam this topic with countless examples of FL Studio greatness, but that's not going to change my opinion. The program is nice, but it simply does not work for me.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”