Bitwig 3 Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i'm not a fan of bitwig in general but this makes me think about getting it at least as synth :lol:

Hi all,
probably already discussed here.

The Grid needs:

#01 grig snap on-off
#02 variable space grid
#03 zoom window
#04 zoom extents
#05 zoom in-out with mouse wheel
#06 pan command rmb
#07 dragging over a cable creates the connection not only on ins-outs (when possible)
#08 group blocks
#09 exposing of ins-outs and rotary controllers on blocks
#10 multiple outs support
#11 vst block containers
#12 effects blocks
#13 all modulators available also inside the grid
#14 compiled groups

regards

gabrielefx wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:12 pm Hi all,
probably already discussed here.

The Grid needs:

#01 grig snap on-off
#02 variable space grid
#03 zoom window
#04 zoom extents
#05 zoom in-out with mouse wheel
#06 pan command rmb
#07 dragging over a cable creates the connection not only on ins-outs (when possible)
#08 group blocks
#09 exposing of ins-outs and rotary controllers on blocks
#10 multiple outs support
#11 vst block containers
#12 effects blocks
#13 all modulators available also inside the grid
#14 compiled groups

regards
Zooming and Panning by mousewheel is already there...

So, it looks like the Grid prevents you from creating an instrument with feedback. It refuses to patch if feedback is the result. But what if I want to intentionally introduce attenuated feedback?

I have tried quite a few modular soft-synths, and one of the things I always try is to run the output of a LP filter through an attenuator, and mix it back into the input of the filter. And it never works. It either does nothing, or as with the Grid, refuses to allow you to patch it that way.

teilo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm I have tried quite a few modular soft-synths, and one of the things I always try is to run the output of a LP filter through an attenuator, and mix it back into the input of the filter. And it never works.
That's because technically it makes things much much much much more complex. Feedback is supposed to be instantaneous, and your calculation at the filter needs to know the result of what was filtered. And your calculation of that needs to know the result of what was filtered. And your calculation of that needs to know the result of what was filtered. etc etc.

Feedback in DSP terms is time travel. Your algorithm needs to know the future.

Now, if you know what processing is going to be in the signal path, you can estimate that future. In something completely modular, where multiple other feedback loops could exist? Much much more unpossible.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

teilo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm So, it looks like the Grid prevents you from creating an instrument with feedback. It refuses to patch if feedback is the result. But what if I want to intentionally introduce attenuated feedback?

I have tried quite a few modular soft-synths, and one of the things I always try is to run the output of a LP filter through an attenuator, and mix it back into the input of the filter. And it never works. It either does nothing, or as with the Grid, refuses to allow you to patch it that way.
Take the output of the filter and send it to the Long Delay module. Set the Long Delay to 0.02 delay time (or higher if that is what you want). Now you can patch the output of that to the attenuator and back into the filter.

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm
teilo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm So, it looks like the Grid prevents you from creating an instrument with feedback. It refuses to patch if feedback is the result. But what if I want to intentionally introduce attenuated feedback?

Take the output of the filter and send it to the Long Delay module. Set the Long Delay to 0.02 delay time (or higher if that is what you want). Now you can patch the output of that to the attenuator and back into the filter.
Thank you! Works beautifully!

I was hoping for a Live style audio looper, but I guess not.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:13 am I was hoping for a Live style audio looper, but I guess not.
There's a Recorder device in The Grid so actually you can make one yourself (or others will).

Other than that, there are plugins made for just this, like Enso for example:
https://www.audiodamage.com/collections ... ad049-enso
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:13 am I was hoping for a Live style audio looper, but I guess not.
There's a Recorder device in The Grid so actually you can make one yourself (or others will).

Other than that, there are plugins made for just this, like Enso for example:
https://www.audiodamage.com/collections ... ad049-enso
Yeah, I have Enso. I like it a lot, but the thing I’m really missing about Live’s Looper is that you can record a loop and then have its length determine the tempo of the sequencer. That’s a really useful trick.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:13 pmYeah, I have Enso. I like it a lot, but the thing I’m really missing about Live’s Looper is that you can record a loop and then have its length determine the tempo of the sequencer. That’s a really useful trick.
Ok, wasn't aware of that functionality - that indeed requires it to be a native device (I think).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

A generative never repeating the same Grid patch. Dry, no FX at all

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/grid-generative-01.mp3

Beta 2 is out!

New stuff already- those guys are FAST...I was not expecting new modules during the beta phase!

Changes in Bitwig Studio 3.0, Beta 2

New features
New module: Curve (Level) - Remaps defined input and output levels
Audio Out module (I/O): added Output Clipping parameter (off, hard, soft)
S/H LFO module (Random): added Epoch parameter, which controls the number of steps used by the Feedback loop
Show numerical readout of volume sliders when using Big Meters in the mixer
Added support for showing context menus inside VST3 plug-ins

Improvements
Polyphonic voices for all Bitwig instruments (and FX Grid) are now processed in parallel
The Grid devices now have a Free-run when stopped setting (enabled by default)
A module is now selected after it is replaced/swapped
Ø Reset module (Phase): now has a pre-cord to reset using the device's note gate
Clock module (LFO): now has a pre-cord to reset using the device's note gate
Save Preset (Device) and Show Item Help (Module) are now pinned by default
Improved cable drawing for cords that go backwards
Don't show value popups for knobs which already have a numeric readout on the panel

Fixes
Copying a module that had a modulation-routing to a nested device didn't clear the routing, causing a crash later when saving the project
[CTRL](PC)-\[CMD](Mac)-click on parameter for text entry didn't work for some parameters (LFO Rate, OSC Pitch Offset, etc.)
AM/RM module (Level): now maintains both inputs when replaced with other multiplier/mixer modules
Sawtooth module (Oscillator): is properly visualized on the module's panel
CV Pitch Out module (I/O): Root Key parameter now works properly
Removed Per-Voice toggle from module context-menu
Sampler device was always loaded as monophonic when created from a sample or multi-sample

Regressions
Mac: Audio engine would freeze in some situations when no audio input was configured
Windows: HiDPI plug-in scaling was broken
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Sweet! I can get at least twice as many voices of Polyphony with beta 2!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”