Bitwig 3 Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

today is a beautiful day :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPhIm6Ttd8
https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/lea ... orial.html

don't think worth to put out release notes while it's in beta state, so let's pla...test it :wheee:
Last edited by xbitz on Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Looking forward to hearing from beta testers!

I have it downloaded and running, its even better than I imagined - so intuitive, unlike Reaktor and Max there is almost no learninmg curve, like BWS as a DAW, its initiative and designed to be fast and fluid...you can literaly change/design instruments whilst the DAW is playing (clips, loops, linear) and the sound just keeps playing.

Genius.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

the UI of the app is much more polished, definitely doesn't look like a toy anymore

:o

For those who are interested:

Changes in Bitwig Studio 3.0, Beta 1

New features
  • Global GUI Contrast settings, to better adapt to different lighting conditions
    Optional Realtime Ruler for showing time in MINUTEs:SECONDs.MILLISECONDs (enable via the right-click context menu in ruler area)
    Ableton Link version 3 support, allowing you to synchronize start and stop of the transport
    Converting devices (e.g., EQ-2 to EQ-5) is now possible by right-clicking on the device header
The Grid
  • New device: Poly Grid, for creating synthesizers, sequenced patches (like a beatbox), droning sounds, etc.
    New device: FX Grid, for creating audio FX
    Both devices support Bitwig's Voice Stacking, for easily layering and varying your sound
    Ability to convert between the different Grid devices, or to copy–paste contents between different instances
    Gestures for replacing modules, reordering modules, inserting modules with cables in place, and inserting modules together with routing modules (such as a mixer or adder)
    All signals in The Grid are oversampled at 400% your current sample rate
    All signals in The Grid are stereo, with various modules configured to easily "stereo-ize" any signal
    Interactive documentation for any module by selecting it, and then pressing the [F1] key or clicking Show Help in the Inspector Panel
    16 categories covering 147 modules:
    I/O - Terminal modules for signals entering or exiting this Grid device
    Audio In, Gate In, Phase In, Pitch In, Pressure In, Timbre In, Velocity In, Audio Out, Audio Sidechain, HW In, HW Out, CV In, CV Out, CV Pitch Out, Key On, Keys Held, Transport Playing, Modulator Out
    Display - Visualization and note-taking modules
    Label, Comment, Oscilloscope, Spectrum, VU Meter, XY, Value Readout
    Phase - Modules that output wrapped phase signals
    Phasor, Ø Bend, Ø Reset, Ø Scaler, Ø Reverse, Ø Wrap, Ø Counter, Ø Formant, Ø Lag, Ø Mirror, Ø Shift, Ø Sinemod, Ø Skew, Ø Sync
    Data - Lookup modules that are read with incoming phase signals
    Gates, Pitches, Steps, Probabilities, Ø Pulse, Ø Saw, Ø Sine, Ø Triangle, Ø Window
    Oscillator - Periodic signal generators based on waveforms or samples
    Pulse, Sawtooth, Sine, Triangle, Phase-1, Swarm, Sampler
    Random - Aperiodic and randomized signal generators
    Noise, S/H LFO, Chance, Dice
    LFO - Periodic low frequency oscillators
    LFO, Clock, Transport
    Envelope - Modules that produce or extract an envelope, often with a normaled amplifier
    ADSR, AD, AR, Follower
    Filter - Frequency-dependent amplifiers
    Low-pass LD, Low-pass SK, SVF, High-pass, Low-pass, Comb
    Shaper - Various linear and nonlinear waveshapers
    Chebyshev, Distortion, Quantizer, Rectifier, Wavefolder
    Delay - Delay functions, some allowing patched feedback
    Delay, Long Delay, Mod Delay, All-pass, Recorder
    Mix - Signal routing and mixing modules
    Blend, Mixer, LR Mix, Select, Toggle, Merge, Split, Stereo Merge, Stereo Split, Stereo Width
    Level - Amplitude-based functions, values, and converters
    Level, Value, Attenuate, Bias, Drive, Gain, AM/RM, Average, Bend, Clip, Hold, Lag, Sample / Hold, Level Scaler, Bi→Uni, Uni→Bi
    Pitch - Modules that produce pitch values
    Pitch, Pitch Quantize, by Semitone, Pitch Scaler, Zero Crossings
    Math - Basic arithmetic operators
    Constant, Add, Divide, Multiply, Subtract, Abs, Ceil, Floor, Minmax, Quantize, Round, Product, Sum, dB → Lin, Exp, Lin → dB, Log
    Logic - Comparators and other modules that output logic signals
    Button, Trigger, <, =, ≠, >, ≤, ≥, NOT, AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NOR, XNOR, Gate Length, Gate Repeat
Improvements
  • New common Inspector Panel for instruments, including voice count, streamlined Voice Stacking options (additional parameters moved to the Voice Stack modulator), and other behaviors
    Unified double-click behavior (reset value to default, when there is a default) for both number fields and other numeric controls. Text entry is now available via [CTRL](PC)-/[CMD](Mac)-click or triple-click.
    Reworked audio backends: ASIO, WASAPI, CoreAudio, ALSA, Jack, and PulseAudio
    Improvements to various modulator devices, including MIDI, Vector-4, Vector-8, Voice Stack, and XY
    Improved compensation delay for Distortion and Amp devices
    Various touch interface improvements and updated support
    General user interface overhaul
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

''Various touch interface improvements and updated support''

Even better on a MS Surface now as well, great to see them improving support and features for surface computers.

and the answer to the big question (which nobody has asked on namn) > can be the Grid used as a modulation source outside from the Grid is .... yes, otherwise the whole Grid would be useless for the non-Grid headz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88bnvF9hTCI

no more question ...

SLiC wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:45 pm I have it downloaded and running, its even better than I imagined - so intuitive, unlike Reaktor and Max there is almost no learninmg curve, like BWS as a DAW, its initiative and designed to be fast and fluid...you can literaly change/design instruments whilst the DAW is playing (clips, loops, linear) and the sound just keeps playing.

Genius.
Very impressive workflow! Easy... Intuitive... integrated right in Bitwig like any Bitwig device. Unlimited modulation inside the Grid without having to wire it at all.

SLiC wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:40 pm ''Various touch interface improvements and updated support''

Even better on a MS Surface now as well, great to see them improving support and features for surface computers.
I don't see what these changes are, still doesn't work properly with automation drawing for example.

SLiC wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:45 pm I have it downloaded and running, its even better than I imagined - so intuitive, unlike Reaktor and Max there is almost no learninmg curve, like BWS as a DAW, its initiative and designed to be fast and fluid...you can literaly change/design instruments whilst the DAW is playing (clips, loops, linear) and the sound just keeps playing.

Genius.
Assuming you're familiar with modular synthesis , there is NO learning curve for reaktor Blocks either .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Genius.
Assuming you're familiar with modular synthesis , there is NO learning curve for reaktor Blocks either .
I agree, I have blocks (and about 400hp of Eurorack) but blocks are not integrated in to the DAW, its another program (and the interface is too small in 4K, BW is fully scalable ) Many BW module are lower level (you could build fx, sequencers and 'blocks' of your own). This is more like 'MAX' and blocks had a baby but far more slick and integrated (I also have Max and Live suite, just never worked for me the way this is working, it feels properly integrated and the BW guys really work hard to make things musical and intuitive (and dare I say 'fun')

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Genius.
That's true... just the workflow is much easier. For example, I can add an ADSR in the Grid and then modulate as many parameters across modules as I want without having to wire anything.

It automatically has unison up to 5 stacked voices without any additional wiring. It has polyphony built in... again no wiring or fuss. MPE just works and all connections are stereo. And the GUI can be as big as I want.

Yeh, we have all only had the grid for a few hours, but I am already getting ideas to sounds faster than with Reaktor/Blocks/Max all of which I have had quite a lot of experience with....especially MPE poly synths, but also FX.
Last edited by SLiC on Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damn! This update looks amazing! I might have to start budgeting for this.. sigh.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Definitely lot's of fun to play around with, might actually getting me into modular stuff. What's almost even more important to me: So far it seems that they seriously improved macOS performance, at least according to my very scientific testing method: 60 tracks with 5min of audio loops + 20 tracks of MIDI (2x DIVA, 18x Serum). Scrolling and zooming is still very smooth, no stuttering during playback. Very impressive :)

I swear, every time I "definitely & finally have decided to stick with Live, really this time" the only serious contender in terms of workflow improves on the few small annoyances that kept me away... ;)
Frequently changing DAW of choice...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”