Mulab 8:This is by far the best timestretch algo of all DAWs!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, really putting this thing through it's paces here:

Drum loop 100% then 800%

Clicky perc loop 100%, 400%, then 800%

You can definitely hear the repeats on the 800% percussion, but still we can't complain here.

Probably my best buy of 2018 / 19 :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/user-351758258/m ... -094429wav

Had a fiddle about with this with the probably most testing material - 12 string strummed acoustic guitar. Very impressive on the speeding up - preserves the transients well and no warbling, definitely the best I've heard. Not so good on the slowing down - stutters quite badly. I'll post some results later on.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 am ... Not so good on the slowing down - stutters quite badly. I'll post some results later on.
You do tempo automation??

Trancit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:12 am
donkey tugger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 am ... Not so good on the slowing down - stutters quite badly. I'll post some results later on.
Not very often..but I do on the odd occasion record things then decide I was a fool and it needs to be slower/faster (usually faster...). You can usually get away with stretching electric guitar bearing in mind it goes through amp sims etc, but acoustics (especially 12 strings..) are always bastards (you sinthesise kids have it easy.. :hihi: ), and you have to re-record them. Anything that helps...

Note: if it appears to stutter, the settings may be inappropriate. When you drop in a continuous audio file and choose Audio Sequence, when the New Audio Sequence Part dialog pops up, turn off both buttons (transient markers and auto snap).
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 am
Not very often..but I do on the odd occasion record things then decide I was a fool and it needs to be slower/faster (usually faster...). You can usually get away with stretching electric guitar bearing in mind it goes through amp sims etc, but acoustics (especially 12 strings..) are always bastards (you sinthesise kids have it easy.. :hihi: ), and you have to re-record them. Anything that helps...
playing in time would help i bet :P

Another test up to 4000% with ircam algo on guitare note.

https://soundcloud.com/roar-of-the-moon ... -2000-4000
peace and love for all.

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:55 am
donkey tugger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 am
playing in time would help i bet :P
I've got riddim an ting, unlike your telephone exchange. :hihi:

Trancit wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 pm
bmanic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm @Trancit

You are the original poster. Can you edit the topic to include MuLab 8? This would give some attention to Jo. He definitely deserves it. For instance something like this: "MuLab 8. This is the best timestretch algo of all DAWs!!". :)
Why not... 8)

...better now?? :D
:tu:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Grodada wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 am Test of ircam algo original 200%, 300%, 400%.Imo transient and timbre is good.

https://soundcloud.com/roar-of-the-moon ... 00-300-400
It's astounding how differently we view things. To my ears that sounds really poor. I'm sure MuLab 8 does it way way better.

EDIT: .. and there we have it.
Trancit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 am
Grodada wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 am Test of ircam algo original 200%, 300%, 400%.Imo transient and timbre is good.
Seriously...?
SeeingInMidi wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:57 am ...someone send this sample through mulab, I would love to see how this compares.
Here you go... another good example either how good the algo is or how laughable the others...

Original then 200%, 300%, 400% always first ircam then Mulab

https://soundcloud.com/trancit01/new-compwav/s-lRoNv

What a difference... :hihi:
MuLab 8's time stretch absolutely KILLS the IRCAM stretch in this example.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm MuLab 8's time stretch absolutely KILLS the IRCAM stretch in this example.
While I have to say the ircam sounds really really bad... This I wouldn´t consider to use in a hundred years at least for drums...perhaps it´s better on melodic stuff or voices, dunno... but drums...no, no, no

I have to say I like the transients of the IRCAM way more. Pretty snappy and not so roomy. Unfortunately it starts to wobble quite a lot which does the MuLab better.

mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 pm I have to say I like the transients of the IRCAM way more. Pretty snappy and not so roomy. Unfortunately it starts to wobble quite a lot which does the MuLab better.
In this case I have to say: Sh*t on a little bit better transients as it changes even at 200% completely the tonal character of the drums... to me it´s less some kind of wobbling but flanging, phasing and ugliness

I have used most of the timestretching/pitchshifting systems that are available and I agree that this is indeed a very fine effort.

I slowed down a singer/guitar track to 25% of the original speed using Elastique Pro (in Tracktion) and also in MuLab 8. The results were both exceptionally good for such extreme, albeit impractical, testing -but I was just curious.
Elastique had a little less echo and also sounded less "as if it was in tunnel", so in this limited test, I'd say that Elastique was the winner - but ever so slightly.

https://soundcloud.com/dakkra/falcon-ir ... ith-slices

Falcon IRCAM Stretch vs. M8 no slices vs. M8 with slices

Here's the video showing the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPCvzmIfo5g

M8 with slices > Falcon IRCAM > M8 no slices, to my ear at least.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”