Reason 10.3 is out ...and it's awesome!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anosou wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 am
antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:33 pm
chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pmAs for the "other performance improvements", 10.3 runs better even without VSTs.
Native devices & REs were previously using fixed 64 samples buffer, whereas now they adjust to what you set in Settings.
Just to be clear, this hasn't changed. Native devices and Rack Extensions are still using fixed 64 sample buffers. Only VSTs and other parts around Reason now adapt. It's those "other parts" and general optimisation that lead to the general performance improvements.
Oh, OK! Thanks for that clarification :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Am I the only person who hasn't received an improvement? I'm on El Capitan the latest. Is El Capitan not supported or what? Ok the improvement which I get is not like I have been reading here. The song which is not playing it plays but it looks like I'm not going to finish mixing. The improvement which I have gotten is like one bar from the DSP indicator. Do you think I will get a better performance if I bootcamp or something? I'm asking this because I really don't want to start from the beginning in another DAW, it is laborious. They are 78 tracks of imported stems.

xbitz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm :clap: ... and now What Are Your Most Wanted Features You'd Like To See In Reason : https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... &t=7510808 :hug:
Proper MIDI loop-recording (multitake) isn't even on that list... lol
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Studio Saturn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 am Am I the only person who hasn't received an improvement? I'm on El Capitan the latest. Is El Capitan not supported or what? Ok the improvement which I get is not like I have been reading here. The song which is not playing it plays but it looks like I'm not going to finish mixing. The improvement which I have gotten is like one bar from the DSP indicator. Do you think I will get a better performance if I bootcamp or something? I'm asking this because I really don't want to start from the beginning in another DAW, it is laborious. They are 78 tracks of imported stems.

What's your latency setting and did you try to switch Hyperthreading off?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Studio Saturn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 am Am I the only person who hasn't received an improvement? I'm on El Capitan the latest. Is El Capitan not supported or what? Ok the improvement which I get is not like I have been reading here. The song which is not playing it plays but it looks like I'm not going to finish mixing. The improvement which I have gotten is like one bar from the DSP indicator. Do you think I will get a better performance if I bootcamp or something? I'm asking this because I really don't want to start from the beginning in another DAW, it is laborious. They are 78 tracks of imported stems.
Need a bit more detail; computer specs, buffer size, project sample rate, the contents of the project (what kind of plugins are in use), the nature of the performance issues (disk overload? CPU?), hyperthreading on or off, etc. The more you can provide the better.
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

Studio Saturn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 amAm I the only person who hasn't received an improvement?
The optimisation works best at the 256-512 samples buffer. Also hyperthreading off might help. I'm assuming you're already running in low-res mode and have color prifle switched to RGB?
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:44 am
Studio Saturn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 amAm I the only person who hasn't received an improvement?
The optimisation works best at the 256-512 samples buffer. Also hyperthreading off might help.
Actually, up to 1024 samples seems to offer fantastic improvement as well - depending on plugin count, complexity of the project, and which particular VST.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:53 amActually, up to 1024 samples seems to offer fantastic improvement as well - depending on plugin count, complexity of the project, and which particular VST.
Perhaps. I just meant I don't see much of an improvement on buffers higher than 512 and I'm not really keen on sacrificing on CV/automation precision to only get marginal performance boost.

But obviously all that depends on the music. I rely heavily on CV & automation, so I start to hear the difference above 512, although that might be because so far I only run old projects. If I started at 1024 or 2048 that would just be a "new normal" I guess :)
Music tech enthusiast

SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am So, by update 10.3 Reason managed parity with other DAWs for VST performance in this but Ialso think it has a long way to go with GUI and workflow, it realy all does seem so dated. Great sound, some great ideas etc, but some much time and effort wasted on REs to then finally permit VSTs anyway...they realy need some direction.
What's dated about the workflow?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am So, by update 10.3 Reason managed parity with other DAWs for VST performance in this but Ialso think it has a long way to go with GUI and workflow, it realy all does seem so dated. Great sound, some great ideas etc, but some much time and effort wasted on REs to then finally permit VSTs anyway...they realy need some direction.
Somehow I think this statement is funny. The workflow of most of the DAWs is a tape machine approach - one assembles bites linearly. What is not dated about that ....?

Logic had a bit of a object oriented approach (at least for MIDI and control) ....
Live is also more or less linear - micro-linear ....

Just my 2-cents ;)

steff3 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:02 pm
Somehow I think this statement is funny. The workflow of most of the DAWs is a tape machine approach - one assembles bites linearly. What is not dated about that ....?

Logic had a bit of a object oriented approach (at least for MIDI and control) ....

Just my 2-cents ;)
What are you talking about? If you’re talking about the sequencer, then yes it is linear. But Reason is modular so you can sequence entirely in CV using all sorts of generator and sequencer devices if you fancy.

Ableton Live has clip based sequencing, but that’s only because Live’s clip launcher was originally invented for DJ’ing. Not every DAW has to be like Live, I wouldn’t want to record 100 piece orchestras with it.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

But you could easily. It has a perfectly linear sequencer as well as the clips.

Studio Saturn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 am Am I the only person who hasn't received an improvement? I'm on El Capitan the latest.
Maybe it's not optimized for El Capitan and the improvements are more obvious in more recent versions of MacOS?
Sweet child in time...

v1o wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:38 pm
steff3 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Just my 2-cents ;)
What are you talking about? If you’re talking about the sequencer, then yes it is linear. But Reason is modular so you can sequence entirely in CV using all sorts of generator and sequencer devices if you fancy.

Ableton Live has clip based sequencing, but that’s only because Live’s clip launcher was originally invented for DJ’ing. Not every DAW has to be like Live, I wouldn’t want to record 100 piece orchestras with it.
still one of the most usable ones ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6UFCdD4Lyk
especially with the https://www.edmprod.com/subtractive-music-production/ methodology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=delCISbVfFU
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I think most people use that when talking about sequencer. I don't know how to describe it, but it's kinda 'stiff' or 'rigid', doesn't feel as fluid like in Bitwig or Live. Some examples:
- until 10.2 you couldn't edit 2+ tracks at once and even still it's very limited compared to Bitwig
- editing notes is a mix - in the clip itself it's quite limited and inconsistent (moving notes with mouse plays them, with keyboard doesn't), but then under F8 there's lots of super deep options
- on big screens (or high res), the piano roll is very small vertically even at highest zoom
- there are no automation curves and automation values more often than not do not correspond with respective parameter (say a channel fader at 0dB will show a value of around 7000)
- if you have an instrument followed by chain of 5 FX and you want to automate each of those FX, the sequencer will put those automations in separate FX tracks (that you can't hide or collapse), totalling 6 tracks for the part,
- there are no folder tracks to organise your session.

Not saying it's all bad, because what I miss in other DAWs are e.g. blocks mode (check xbitz' video above!) and support for pattern-based sequencers, multiple MIDI lanes for single track, separate mutes for MIDI & automation tracks, automation clips, native pitch-shifting editor, etc.

So perhaps 'dated' isn't the best word, because it's a mix :)
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”