Reason 10.3 is out ...and it's awesome!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone compared to Reaper and Logic yet?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

rewrite history wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 pm Actually the whole iOS fad was doomed from the start as predicted.
LMAO!! Over 1.2 billion iOS devices and $738 billon later... sure - it’s a “fad”... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

v1o wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:33 am Anyone compared to Reaper and Logic yet?
Pro tools is better. Sounds mo' better.

Anyone else have trouble reaching the "reasontalk" forums?

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 am
Pro tools is better. Sounds mo' better.
Sound quality doesn’t concern me at all. After a lifetime spent around loud speakers I have reduced frequency response and ringing in the ears.

I’m only interested in efficiency. Which one can host more tracks and VSTs before crackling out. Currently Reaper is king on PC, Logic is on Mac.
Last edited by v1o on Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:25 am Anyone else have trouble reaching the "reasontalk" forums?
Use Wayback machine until they’re back online.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I could upgrade to Reason 10, but I'm very reluctant to do so because the GUI is just too painful to look at and use now, which is pretty weird having used it for so many years in the past. I knew in the past that the workflow was rather clunky and slow, but I didn't realise just how slow till I switched.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

best daw i tried i have even Bitwig
i have a big screen so no problem for me

the best daw for me : Reason +Bitwig

Reaper is still king on the PC as far as plugin count goes, but Reason 10.3 is now on par with all of the other DAW available (on average).
THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:47 am I knew in the past that the workflow was rather clunky and slow, but I didn't realise just how slow till I switched.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohhhhhhh ScottyM, don't kid yourself - you miss Reason terribly. :hihi: :tu:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 am
rewrite history wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 pm Actually the whole iOS fad was doomed from the start as predicted.
LMAO!! Over 1.2 billion iOS devices and $738 billon later... sure - it’s a “fad”... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, please inform us of the latest and greatest iOS synth that everyone is talking about?

I can't remember the last time I've seen an advertisement for anything new or ground breaking in the iOS department.

The fad has seemed to have smoldered out, because a couple of years ago, everyone was releasing something. Now it's just dust bunnies and tumbleweeds.

EnochLight wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:23 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:47 am I knew in the past that the workflow was rather clunky and slow, but I didn't realise just how slow till I switched.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohhhhhhh ScottyM, don't kid yourself - you miss Reason terribly. :hihi: :tu:
I thought I would too, but the reality was far far different and has remained so ever since I put it on the proverbial shelf way back in 2014. I got so frustrated with it, it lead me to completely redesign it in my vision as most people here know like a lasting headstone.

Here's what I missed, Reasonstation.net...the .rns, rps, song upload, reviews / ratings, and forum the MSN Messanger RUG, Reason User Group I created for collaboration and... and a few other things...Pretty much... it's the other things that surrounded Reason I did... With all that, I learned it inside out, like it was the back of my hand..But now.. it doesn't ever enter my mind to even use it...other than looking for a few samples in the 40 gigs worth I have for Reason.

I pretty much got fed up with how slow everything development wise was with Reason as I've said quite a few times before. It took them over 10 years to give us more than 9 colours to colour the tracks......but anyway, it's 6am... I could write a whole book / magazine on it all...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:33 pm
chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pmAs for the "other performance improvements", 10.3 runs better even without VSTs.
Native devices & REs were previously using fixed 64 samples buffer, whereas now they adjust to what you set in Settings.
Just to be clear, this hasn't changed. Native devices and Rack Extensions are still using fixed 64 sample buffers. Only VSTs and other parts around Reason now adapt. It's those "other parts" and general optimisation that lead to the general performance improvements.

So, by update 10.3 Reason managed parity with other DAWs for VST performance in this but Ialso think it has a long way to go with GUI and workflow, it realy all does seem so dated. Great sound, some great ideas etc, but some much time and effort wasted on REs to then finally permit VSTs anyway...they realy need some direction.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Anosou wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 am
antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:33 pm
chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pmAs for the "other performance improvements", 10.3 runs better even without VSTs.
Native devices & REs were previously using fixed 64 samples buffer, whereas now they adjust to what you set in Settings.
Just to be clear, this hasn't changed. Native devices and Rack Extensions are still using fixed 64 sample buffers. Only VSTs and other parts around Reason now adapt. It's those "other parts" and general optimisation that lead to the general performance improvements.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying! That makes more sense, and explains why REs are snappy with CV at any buffer.
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

personally, I need MIDI out(CV) of VSTfx
… but Reason is just so cool! heh

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”