Reason 10.3 is out ...and it's awesome!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/reason-103-is-here

I'm happy to announce that Reason 10.3, a free update to Reason 10, is now available. Just launch Reason 10 and there'll be an auto-update waiting for you.

Reason 10.3 is the much anticipated "performance update", a big rewrite changing how Reason handles buffer sizes to work how VST plugins expect a host to work. There's now a setting in Reason's audio preference to "Render audio using audio card buffer size setting" that is on by default. But what does that mean in practice?

When making music, your computer can now handle more VST plugins before experiencing issues (like clicking and popping) on buffer sizes higher than 64 samples. Depending on the plugins used, the improvements you'll see can vary a lot. In our testing we've seen improvements from a measly 10% to well over 200% when using a buffer size of 512 samples. You might see even bigger improvements on larger buffer sizes, but of course a larger buffer size has other downsides like latency.

Now that we've had a month of beta testing I can also say for certain that even if you don't use VST plugins, you'll see performance improvements using Rack Extensions and internal devices too. As an example, the Reason 10 demo songs run 10-50% better on our testing machines using a buffer size of 512 samples.

While this is all good news, some things might actually sound different with these rendering changes and that's important to understand. When automating or CV controlling parameters in a VST, it will use the same resolution as the buffer size. This is also true for any feedback connection, for example sending a signal out of a device and then back in to the same device.

In Reason 10.2 and earlier, the buffer size was fixed at 64 samples and thus had almost no noticeable delay. Now, with larger buffer sizes you might hear a difference when controlling a VST parameter or hear a delay when creating a feedback loop. In most cases, you probably won't notice it, but for full compatibility with your older songs you can either bring the buffer size down to 64 samples or untick the new option in the preferences.

With all that said, we're very happy with the improvements in Reason 10.3 and that we can finally share it with you. We've also reset all Reason trials so anyone curious about the improvements can start a 30-day trial. I personally want to say thank you for all the feedback and testing help we've had from the Reason users out there. Now it's time to make more music!

Mattias Häggström Gerdt
Reason Product Manager

Just for reference of how much of an improvement it is, here's my project in 10.2 and 10.3! It's only using single VST (Phoscyon), so indeed the performance boost - as Mattias says - also is visible with native devices & REs!

:clap: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

It's a good update. Well worth the wait. Reason is now on pair with other hosts more or less (when it comes to VST performance that is). I can finally load most of the Acustica Audio acquas (ZL version) and Reason does not crap out. It behave VERY wrong with ZL versions but now it's same like Ableton or FL Studio in that regards.

On top of that they fixed major problem. Big Kontakt libraries. As i reported them and at KVR some big libraries such as SonicCouture ElecroAcoustic (http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... -acoustic/) had major problem in Reason. When you load them Reason hang for more then two minutes before Kontakt interface appear. They fixed it in 10.3.

I like it and overall Reason was pretty good investment (for me). Very happy user.

:clap: ... and now What Are Your Most Wanted Features You'd Like To See In Reason : https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... &t=7510808 :hug:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I will give Reason a go again when it has an interface suitable for 4K (scalable will do) - it should be perfect for my MS Surface, but it’s too small and hard to operate with touch - may be they will look at this now they have performance sorted.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I'll update it later and see what improvements I notice.

Anyone see anything other than improvement to plugin performance?
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pmAnyone see anything other than improvement to plugin performance?
No, there's nothing else and it wasn't meant to fix/add anything else - they were clear about it from the start.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pmAnyone see anything other than improvement to plugin performance?
No, there's nothing else and it wasn't meant to fix/add anything else - they were clear about it from the start.
Didn't the original announcement add that there would be other performance improvements? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought I remembered something along those lines.
Sweet child in time...

Yeah thrilled to bits with this update. I've been working and getting jobs completed with 10.2 (albeit with a more minimal/streamlined approach) but now I can use everything I wanna use, which is fantastic for big hybrid/orchestral trailer stuff. Neck deep in Kontakts!

As for the "other performance improvements", 10.3 runs better even without VSTs. Not sure how, or why. But throughout testing users were reporting much better performance with things like Grain, and especially with third party racks. Tried it on my partner's laptop which is an AMD A6. Previously 2 or 3 Antidotes and a reverb or two would bring it to its knees. Now it purrs along at 2 bars nicely. So whatever they've done, it's improved performance all around.
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

Not sure why MultiCore is using more cpu on than off.

Omnisphere phoenix rising patch, 4 note chord
5% Multicore = Off
24% Multicore=On

Mac Pro 2010 12 Core

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm Didn't the original announcement add that there would be other performance improvements? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought I remembered something along those lines.
The original announcement didn't, but the follow-up announcement when they stated the update would be delayed revealed that even core Reason devices/RE's have benefited from the performance update. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

topaz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:41 pm Not sure why MultiCore is using more cpu on than off.

Omnisphere phoenix rising patch, 4 note chord
5% Multicore = Off
24% Multicore=On

Mac Pro 2010 12 Core
I assume you're talking about Hyperthreading? If so, yeah, it's kinda weird! Almost everyone seems to get better results with HT off, at least in the early stages. Busier projects seem to benefit from it. I'm sure there are reasons for it, but I'd say if you're getting low usage with it off, leave it off. It's not like if HT was working as you'd expect it to then you'd get 2% instead of 5%. Just one of those things I guess!

Hi Paul, No Multi-Core

Multi-Core Off cpu drops to Cubase 10 levels (3 x omnisphere playing 4 note chord using phoenix patch) = 10% Max but wont run. audio craps out.

Multi-Core on = 26% in reason 10.3 around 15% more than Cubase 10

256 Buffer Rate using Motu Ultralite Mk3.
chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm

I assume you're talking about Hyperthreading? If so, yeah, it's kinda weird! Almost everyone seems to get better results with HT off, at least in the early stages. Busier projects seem to benefit from it. I'm sure there are reasons for it, but I'd say if you're getting low usage with it off, leave it off. It's not like if HT was working as you'd expect it to then you'd get 2% instead of 5%. Just one of those things I guess!

topaz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 pm Hi Paul, No Multi-Core

Multi-Core Off cpu drops to Cubase 10 levels (3 x omnisphere playing 4 note chord using phoenix patch) = 10% Max but wont run. audio craps out.

Multi-Core on = 26% in reason 10.3 around 15% more than Cubase 10

256 Buffer Rate using Motu Ultralite Mk3.
chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Oh right, weird! Does Omnisphere have a Multi-Core setting? If so, maybe try turning it off? I know some plugins (like Kontakt) advise you not to have it enabled in both the plugin *and* the host as it can cause problems. Otherwise, not sure what's going on. I don't use Omnisphere unfortunately!

For reference:

Reason 10.3 / Reason 10.3 Intro / Reason 10.3 Lite Release Notes
  • Rewrote big parts of Reason's audio rendering code, now rendering audio using audio card buffer size, to improve performance
  • New preference to enable the new audio rendering improvements (on by default, turn off for compatibility reasons)
  • Removed "CPU Usage Limit" from Reason's preferences
  • Fixed a bug in the effects section of Europa and Grain
  • Fixed an issue where macOS would say Reason was "not optimized for your Mac and need to be updated"
  • Various bug fixes and improvements
  • Removed Allihoopa button
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... S53jZbjKFI
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

No it doesn't, ps I love your music and your dad is a total legend ;-)

chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 pm Oh right, weird! Does Omnisphere have a Multi-Core setting? If so, maybe try turning it off? I know some plugins (like Kontakt) advise you not to have it enabled in both the plugin *and* the host as it can cause problems. Otherwise, not sure what's going on. I don't use Omnisphere unfortunately!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”