Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oh sure blame us
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm the world will be run by apes.

get your stinking paws off my daw you damn dirty ape :x
You maniacs!… You blew it up!… Ah, damn you!…
God damn you all to hell!!

:lol:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

telecode wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:56 pm I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it. It doesn't work for my personally as I need to be able to sit at a computer in order to focus and pay attention to one thing, but the fact that Akai are making the products seems to indicate they see something in the marketplace and see a demand for it.

So far I really liked what I saw when I tried out the MPC live, but found it still a little to bukly to be a portable DAW. Perhaps in 10 years it will be leaner and slimmer and more powerful.
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak. And I’ll probably end up getting whatever comes after the Force too. Those are very cool devices, no doubt about it, but hardly a new concept. Aside from advances in miniaturization of electronics and associated software developments, an MPC Live is more or less doing the same thing that a Fairlight did decades ago. Dedicated music computers are not exactly a fresh and revolutionary idea.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

:clap:

apespog.jpg
ftfy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

deastman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm
telecode wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:56 pm I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it. It doesn't work for my personally as I need to be able to sit at a computer in order to focus and pay attention to one thing, but the fact that Akai are making the products seems to indicate they see something in the marketplace and see a demand for it.

So far I really liked what I saw when I tried out the MPC live, but found it still a little to bukly to be a portable DAW. Perhaps in 10 years it will be leaner and slimmer and more powerful.
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak. And I’ll probably end up getting whatever comes after the Force too. Those are very cool devices, no doubt about it, but hardly a new concept. Aside from advances in miniaturization of electronics and associated software developments, an MPC Live is more or less doing the same thing that a Fairlight did decades ago. Dedicated music computers are not exactly a fresh and revolutionary idea.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 am

apespog.jpg
ftfy
ha! planet of the pogs :lol:

deastman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak.
I picked up an MPC Live a couple of weeks ago. Originally had the Touch, and I liked it so much it just made sense to send it back and go with the standalone. :party: Just installed a 1 TB SSD in my MPC Live, which is probably far more storage than I'll ever need for the time being.

Once you get yours, if you like keeping it on the table while you work, check out this 3D printed stand that's available. The files are free - you just need to find someone with a 3D printer to make it (or use an online service).

This cost me a total of $1.25 in 3D printing substrate, and some Super Glue to glue the pieces together. Keeps the Live at the perfect angle for viewing the touch screen, and drumming is awesome. Also allows me to leave it mounted with my Decksaver Cover:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3247554
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

telecode wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:56 pm I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it.
Actually a regression; to "replace" something logically means it does that same thing; so it doesn't do that for one who uses more than it offers, which would seem to be quite a lot in a modern DAW. As to the negative 'tied to a computer', you're still tied to a machine, one is not more free by having a different paradigm per se. It may work for you for whatever reason but this is at best a lateral move for those with narrower interest. "the movement" probably overstates the thing.

jancivil wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 am
telecode wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:56 pm I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it.
Actually a regression; to "replace" something logically means it does that same thing; so it doesn't do that for one who uses more than it offers, which would seem to be quite a lot in a modern DAW. As to the negative 'tied to a computer', you're still tied to a machine, one is not more free by having a different paradigm per se. It may work for you for whatever reason but this is at best a lateral move for those with narrower interest. "the movement" probably overstates the thing.
I see your point. I guess it really depends on what sort of music you make and what kinds of sounds and instruments you use. For orchestral scores and so on, a MPC Live device would not be a good solution. For making beats and EDM type music, it would be a good solution. I really like the device. I havn't gotten it yet but am seriously considering it.

I see it a bit like the difference between playing a hardware synth vs a VST or a real piano vs a VST piano. There is a certain focus and attention to the instrument and what you are doing that happens when you play the instrument on its own vs when its a VST on a computer and you attached to a fully fledged computer. Its just not the same feeling.
Last edited by telecode on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

EnochLight wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am
deastman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak.
I picked up an MPC Live a couple of weeks ago. Originally had the Touch, and I liked it so much it just made sense to send it back and go with the standalone. :party: Just installed a 1 TB SSD in my MPC Live, which is probably far more storage than I'll ever need for the time being.

Once you get yours, if you like keeping it on the table while you work, check out this 3D printed stand that's available. The files are free - you just need to find someone with a 3D printer to make it (or use an online service).

This cost me a total of $1.25 in 3D printing substrate, and some Super Glue to glue the pieces together. Keeps the Live at the perfect angle for viewing the touch screen, and drumming is awesome. Also allows me to leave it mounted with my Decksaver Cover:

Thanks for the post and info. So how are you finding the MPC Live? What sort of music do you make? What other tools do you use? What other tool did the MPC Live replace for you? I am still on the fence about getting one. Mostly because I can't be arsed to learn a new DAW.

telecode wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks for the post and info. So how are you finding the MPC Live? What sort of music do you make? What other tools do you use? What other tool did the MPC Live replace for you? I am still on the fence about getting one. Mostly because I can't be arsed to learn a new DAW.
I love the MPC Live! The fact that I can just pick it up with a set of cans and be 100% fully mobile at a moments notice - complete with a quality pad controller and touch screen, is just phenomenal. I come from the very old days of big-ass keyboard workstations (Ensoniq VFX line, EPS16+ line, ASR-10 line,) so I’ve always wanted to go back to that feeling of not having to rely on a mouse and keyboard. In the box is what I was after. I considered some of the Teenage Engineering stuff but wanted a more feature-packed device and large touch screen, and THOSE PADS. Probably the best in the industry.

I can get about 4-6 hours of runtime on it, which is perfect for a road trip or afternoon in the park or beach. I also use Reason, as well as bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitar.

It’s not without its limits - only 8 audio tracks in standalone mode - so if I need to lay down full vocals and record some live guitar or bass, I have to plan carefully, but it forces you to be creative. But in controller mode running the desktop software, it’s limitless. Plus, it’s super easy to transfer your projects to your computer, and then you can open them in the MPC Software, and then run that as a VST plugin inside your DAW of choice to add on, finish, polish, and master. It’s quite a brilliant approach really.

I do a variety of genres: EDM, “beats”, as well as traditional “rock” (well, traditional in the sense that there’s bass guitar and lead guitar on top of rhythm). It lends itself to all of those (and more), IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:22 pm
telecode wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 am

I love the MPC Live! The fact that I can just pick it up with a set of cans and be 100% fully mobile at a moments notice - complete with a quality pad controller and touch screen, is just phenomenal. I come from the very old days of big-ass keyboard workstations (Ensoniq VFX line, EPS16+ line, ASR-10 line,) so I’ve always wanted to go back to that feeling of not having to rely on a mouse and keyboard. In the box is what I was after. I considered some of the Teenage Engineering stuff but wanted a more feature-packed device and large touch screen, and THOSE PADS. Probably the best in the industry.

I can get about 4-6 hours of runtime on it, which is perfect for a road trip or afternoon in the park or beach. I also use Reason, as well as bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitar.

It’s not without its limits - only 8 audio tracks in standalone mode - so if I need to lay down full vocals and record some live guitar or bass, I have to plan carefully, but it forces you to be creative. But in controller mode running the desktop software, it’s limitless. Plus, it’s super easy to transfer your projects to your computer, and then you can open them in the MPC Software, and then run that as a VST plugin inside your DAW of choice to add on, finish, polish, and master. It’s quite a brilliant approach really.

I do a variety of genres: EDM, “beats”, as well as traditional “rock” (well, traditional in the sense that there’s bass guitar and lead guitar on top of rhythm). It lends itself to all of those (and more), IMHO.
Thanks. If, you dont mind, will PM you a quick q.

Everything at your fingertips. Futuristic MIDI controllers. Virtual instruments recreating every conceivable instrument out there. Want an Epiphone or a Strat? Sure, load the preset, it's there. Want a string section or a woodwinds section? No problem, there it is. Want to set up a complete virtual orchestra? Consider it done!

Stuff like that will be commonplace.

Now, even the older artists will still be pumping out music. That won't change. What will change is how easy it will be to put those ideas in your head right to the music making AI/instrument setup.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

To summarize:

Even more abundance, software wise.
Lots of AI.
Lots of subscriptions in less open systems.

Too easy to create songs <-- while --> Almost impossible to even get noticed.

Too many people want to create <-- while --> Too few want to listen what others produce (with the help of AI).

We've already passed the hey days of music production.

We'll be living in the digital age of plenty where we can't be sure if a human or AI created a song.

Expect the reappraisal of live music. Acoustic live music in particular. You can't fool it's created by (the help of) a AI DAW!
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”