What does the future hold for Magix?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Clearly a company run by shareholders. Much of the stuff is good though, if long in the tooth.
If you think Samplitude isn't a kick ass DAW, likely you don't know what you're talking
about. Not for everyone though, to be sure. Soundforge and Acid are also good.

I'm sure they have good people, although likely, they aren't allowed to do as they please.
I will buy the stuff if it's cheap enough, not otherwise. Mostly they have different ideas
about that than me, but not always.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:56 pm I really wished i would get a cent for every "They don't listen to their customers" lament on internet forums. Interestingly, it's often about bigger companies, with a lot of customers, they allegedly don't listen to. Oh well. Probably the one or the other still has this fantastic image in his mind, that companies with ten thousands of customers have some CEO's running around which check internet forums, and read the "common user's" every wish from his lips. Whoever the "common user" is supposed to be. Oh, yeah, the guy posting in a forum, right. So, let's take him, and then let's take another person, and another person, and so on, until we have a couple of hundred different opinions, and end up with a complete mish mash of different opinions, and "great ideas" which of course should be implemented, so that the company "listens to their customers". And have a Frankenstein of a software, which does everything, but nothing really good, and is a complete mess. Yes, it's great to "listen to the customers".
:hihi:

this isn't a reaper thread
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

DID SOMEONE SAY REAPER?
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

I'm thinkin perhaps a little to dry...:oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

inkwarp wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm They have a forum which is pitiable short of useful info. and it feels like if there are any users with issues they are staying mute for the most part. it is the worst forum if you are looking for helpful info.

[...] The truth is there is no clear direction for development. and i don't expect to see any statements to the contrary in the near future. The so-called 'upgrade' for X3 to X4 is, to say the least, very poor, worthy of a fractional number upgrade and certainly not from 3 > 4... just an opinion from someone who thinks SAM has some amazing features.
I don't find their forum useful for tech support; their customer service is quite good. The forum is useful for requesting features but you need to coalesce people to speak up for it. I'm not trying to put responsibility on you but a feature only one person wants is going to be ignored.

And yeah, the update cycle is more or less on a schedule as opposed to being triggered by a certain amount of new features. It's funny, they threw in the Vintage FX and Vandal in with the current Sound Forge Suite. But Samplitude and Acid are still their own things, so there's hope. But people that are interested and invested gotta encourage them.

:phones:

Sound forge is awesome. Samplitude is awesome but convoluted and remshackled - just like REAPER, funnily enough.I basically see REAPER as the younger sibling of samplitude.

Spectralayers is great but it’s always felt like they’ve been holding back, since day one. There was VST support but it disappeared for some reason. The modern version with VST support would be amazing. Magix sold Spectralayers to Steinberg last year and v6 will be released soon. Hopefully it has VST support. It will have ARA2 support so any host that support will be able to open sound files in Spectralayers just like Melodyne. I’m a little bummer steinberg bought it cause I don’t want to have to use their stupid dongle.

nathanj wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:00 am Sound forge is awesome. Samplitude is awesome but convoluted and remshackled - just like REAPER, funnily enough.I basically see REAPER as the younger sibling of samplitude.

Spectralayers is great but it’s always felt like they’ve been holding back, since day one. There was VST support but it disappeared for some reason. The modern version with VST support would be amazing. Magix sold Spectralayers to Steinberg last year and v6 will be released soon. Hopefully it has VST support. It will have ARA2 support so any host that support will be able to open sound files in Spectralayers just like Melodyne. I’m a little bummer steinberg bought it cause I don’t want to have to use their stupid dongle.
That was an interesting purchase on Steinberg's part - very logical. My assumption is that Spectralayers will either be sold by Steinberg as an independent extra - maybe as part of a Cubase Bundle (perhaps even included in future versions of Nuendo natively) or as a fully independent app.

Or an interesting third possibility: SL is integrated *directly* into the Cubase/Nuendo DAW itself -

So: does Samplitude's current spectral editing code come from it's association with Spectralayers? If that is the case: what will happen in Samplitude X5? lol - it's possible that Magix sold the code with the understanding that it's licensed for continued use of the Spectralayers code currently integrated into it's DAW - we'll see, right? I'm interested.

Magix is no slouch - they may have made a deal with fellow-German company Steinberg that assures continued development of SL for the foreseeable future (Or I might be wearing a sad pair of rose-colored glasses, instead! :hihi: )

I may be wrong, but I feel like spectral editing was in Samplitude prior to the purchase of the Sony Creative software.
Last edited by toddbooster on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddbooster wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 am I may be wrong, but I feel like spectrai editing was in Samplitude prior to the purchase of the Sony Creative software.
Correct - thats why i made a point of emphasizing the word: 'current' - but its possible that the SE code used prior to Magix purchasing Spectralayers from Sony was *already* licensed Spectralayers code - Magix may well have seen it as a strategic buy, since even though it (and Acid and Sound Forge) were not current SOTA products, there was (and is) plenty of potential to move them forward with the right dev teaming; and/or monetizing the products by resale/licensing - which is precisely whats happened to Spectralayers.

I would not be the least bit surprised if there now exists a healthy relationship between Steinberg and Magix - both have parallel full-on production products whos younger brother is a commercial-grade DAW (Sequoia/Samplitude; Nuendo/Cubase) - i personally think that Magix could learn a lot about marketing to the Americas by paying attention to what Steinberg does.

I’m thinking that because Spectralayers 6 will have ARA2 integration Magix thought let’s just add ARA2 support to Sound Forge and Samplitude and let Steinberg give us a crap load of money and we won’t need to do anything else.

I’m mostly just bummed I’ll need to get a steinberg dongle.

I don’t think the spectral editing in samplitude had/has anything to do with Spectralayers.

nathanj wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:42 pm don’t think the spectral editing in samplitude had/has anything to do with Spectralayers.
It doesn't. Samplitude has had this feature for a while before Spectralayers appeared.
this is one of the good features in SAM X...

inkwarp wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:09 pm
nathanj wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:42 pm don’t think the spectral editing in samplitude had/has anything to do with Spectralayers.
It doesn't. Samplitude has had this feature for a while before Spectralayers appeared.
this is one of the good features in SAM X...
My question is if the underlying SE code in SAM X *changed* when they bought SL - or is it the same code as before -
nathanj wrote:I’m thinking that because Spectralayers 6 will have ARA2 integration Magix thought let’s just add ARA2 support to Sound Forge and Samplitude and let Steinberg give us a crap load of money and we won’t need to do anything else.
This may indeed be the case - but I doubt that Steinberg paid them a lot of money for it, nathanj. My guess is that there's more to the story - let's see what happens -

nathanj wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:42 pm I’m mostly just bummed I’ll need to get a steinberg dongle.
nathanj, just to clarify: *any* syncrosoft eLicenser will work - there are several softs that I own licenses for that came with their own Syncro dongle - that I successfully use for different company's license seatings in addition to the original. And, here's a very important point: you can usually install a Syncro license on your hard drive (negating the need for a USB dongle)

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... eLicensers

The dongles themselves have been problem-free in my world, btw - I've used them for years.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”