How's Reason 10.3 beta going?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kmonkey wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:23 am
reggie1979 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 am I've found it to be awash. There are some things that "seem" better but in windows performance, bars and overall use I find it to be remarkably the same.
Not in my case. I see really really big improvement. I mean it's like on par with every other DAW i have now (Reaper, Live and FL Studio). It wasn't at all until 10.3.

I use a lot of VST. For people using VST difference between 10.2 and 10.3 will be staggering. For people relying mostly on RE there is also improvement just not that much.
As I stated at reasontalk, maybe I'm just testing it wrong.

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:19 pm As I stated at reasontalk, maybe I'm just testing it wrong.
Probably not. It also depend on type of VST you use. Anyway i hope it will be ok for everyone :party:

"luckily" Bitwig3beta has still not released so I begin to know Reason finally :D , Combinators can be poly chained with MIDI-CV player devices wow (or Combinators also can be used with player devices wow :o ), local send effects (or parallel fx chains) can be created with SPEM device (docs > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1MkPE ... gxYXM/view) wow and finally its performance is acceptable

Reason is quite cool "little" DAW for sure

btw. fyi ReaStream working nicely in Reason too, so MIDI can be streamed between different VSTi host plugins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nWpoWWaZ1Y
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

VST performance in the latest beta is very very much improved for me on windows 10. Its night and day for most of the plugins I use. :tu:
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

UA fix is a great news. Thanks guys! So, when will it be available? with in two three days?

Studio Saturn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:30 pm UA fix is a great news. Thanks guys! So, when will it be available? with in two three days?
I don't know for sure, but I think you can get into it now:

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... &t=7511358

10.3 is out of beta!

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/reason-103-is-here

I'm happy to announce that Reason 10.3, a free update to Reason 10, is now available. Just launch Reason 10 and there'll be an auto-update waiting for you.

Reason 10.3 is the much anticipated "performance update", a big rewrite changing how Reason handles buffer sizes to work how VST plugins expect a host to work. There's now a setting in Reason's audio preference to "Render audio using audio card buffer size setting" that is on by default. But what does that mean in practice?

When making music, your computer can now handle more VST plugins before experiencing issues (like clicking and popping) on buffer sizes higher than 64 samples. Depending on the plugins used, the improvements you'll see can vary a lot. In our testing we've seen improvements from a measly 10% to well over 200% when using a buffer size of 512 samples. You might see even bigger improvements on larger buffer sizes, but of course a larger buffer size has other downsides like latency.

Now that we've had a month of beta testing I can also say for certain that even if you don't use VST plugins, you'll see performance improvements using Rack Extensions and internal devices too. As an example, the Reason 10 demo songs run 10-50% better on our testing machines using a buffer size of 512 samples.

While this is all good news, some things might actually sound different with these rendering changes and that's important to understand. When automating or CV controlling parameters in a VST, it will use the same resolution as the buffer size. This is also true for any feedback connection, for example sending a signal out of a device and then back in to the same device.

In Reason 10.2 and earlier, the buffer size was fixed at 64 samples and thus had almost no noticeable delay. Now, with larger buffer sizes you might hear a difference when controlling a VST parameter or hear a delay when creating a feedback loop. In most cases, you probably won't notice it, but for full compatibility with your older songs you can either bring the buffer size down to 64 samples or untick the new option in the preferences.

With all that said, we're very happy with the improvements in Reason 10.3 and that we can finally share it with you. We've also reset all Reason trials so anyone curious about the improvements can start a 30-day trial. I personally want to say thank you for all the feedback and testing help we've had from the Reason users out there. Now it's time to make more music!

Mattias Häggström Gerdt
Reason Product Manager
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Danilo Villanova wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 am Without violating your NDA, how is it? Good? Bad? Ok? :hyper:
Since this is released, it should probably be locked now.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”