How's Reason 10.3 beta going?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:24 pm
chimp_spanner wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:20 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:18 pm I'm running the 10.2 demo and I'm getting the "computer too slow message" even though the CPU usage is 10%. I played with the CPU settings and optimized my computer to no avail. Buffer settings are maxed out with my Focusrite iTrack Solo (maybe that's the problem?). Any ideas?

Windows 10 64 bit, i7 3rd gen 2.3 quad core, 8gb ram, 500gb SSD.
That’s literally what’s addressed in the 10.3 update :) shouldn’t get that again once it’s out.
Yeah but I'm getting the error just playing the demo or even in a new project with just one instance of Europa. The DSP bars are absolutely crazy. I ran it in a much slower machine a few months back and had no issue. Besides the real CPU usage is barely 10% according to Task Manager but Reason's DSP bars are going into the red. There's something really fishy going on with my machine. :(
Oh right! Sorry, mid-read. Make sure that the CPU limit is set to none in preferences. Also try turning hyper threading off as it seems to make things worse for most people. Also check things like sample rate (96 and beyond will cause headaches potentially). Make sure power plan is set to high performance and not balanced or power saver. Those are the first things I’d try!
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

chimp_spanner wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:28 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:18 pm I'm running the 10.2 demo and I'm getting the "computer too slow message" even though the CPU usage is 10%. I played with the CPU settings and optimized my computer to no avail. Buffer settings are maxed out with my Focusrite iTrack Solo (maybe that's the problem?). Any ideas?

That’s literally what’s addressed in the 10.3 update :) shouldn’t get that again once it’s out.
Yeah but I'm getting the error just playing the demo or even in a new project with just one instance of Europa. The DSP bars are absolutely crazy. I ran it in a much slower machine a few months back and had no issue. Besides the real CPU usage is barely 10% according to Task Manager but Reason's DSP bars are going into the red. There's something really fishy going on with my machine. :(
Oh right! Sorry, mid-read. Make sure that the CPU limit is set to none in preferences. Also try turning hyper threading off as it seems to make things worse for most people. Also check things like sample rate (96 and beyond will cause headaches potentially). Make sure power plan is set to high performance and not balanced or power saver. Those are the first things I’d try!
Thank you, I set CPU limit to none and I stopped getting the error with CPU performing at about 28% for the demo song. The DSP bars are still pretty high (4 out of 6 I think), is that normal? hyper threading definitely makes things worst and the multi-core option enabled makes things better. Also I'm having crashes with Sampletank 4 even though the DSP use is pretty low, is that a CPU issue that will be solved with the update or some sort of compatibility issue?

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Thank you, I set CPU limit to none and I stopped getting the error with CPU performing at about 28% for the demo song. The DSP bars are still pretty high (4 out of 6 I think), is that normal? hyper threading definitely makes things worst and the multi-core option enabled makes things better. Also I'm having crashes with Sampletank 4 even though the DSP use is pretty low, is that a CPU issue that will be solved with the update or some sort of compatibility issue?
No problem! Yeah HT is a weird one. My experience is that in the early stages, it's not helpful. When the project gets busier and I start to get near my limit, then it helps. Don't really know why. Although with 10.3 I think it'll be mostly redundant for me as there's so much overhead so, I'll probably just leave it off!

What is the demo track? Let me see if I can load it up here on 10.3. Our machines aren't too dissimilar; i7 4700mq 12GB. The new update is focused on VST performance but whatever they've done seems to have had a positive impact across the board. Once I know what track it is, hopefully I can confirm.

As for Sampletank 4, doesn't sound like a CPU issue to me. I've only experienced one VST crash with Reason (Roland Sound Canvas). Everything else seems to work fine so it might just be a compatibility issue, in which case raise a ticket with both IK and PH. Or check on Reasontalk or Propellerhead Reason Users group on FB and see if anyone else is able to run it.

Some crappy phone footage of a big-ish project!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwADCDiA-Hv ... qu5v1s3dn0

chimp_spanner wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:54 am
reggie1979 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:04 pm The bars seem about the same. It's weird because if I just load a big project it can seem at times like it's lighter but then all of the sudden it's the same.

I dunno, wasn't expecting miracles.

However my controversial post I made about the cracking seems to have at least improved (just the facts, no need to shoot the messenger!!!!!!! )
Definitely on non logging? Also just to clarify, you’ll see the most improvement above 64 samples. Aaaalso try with hyperthreading off (if it’s on).
Ah, I run at 64. Yeah, the HT thing is weird. I'd think they would have addressed that and added it to improvements.

chimp_spanner wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 am
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:56 pm

No problem! Yeah HT is a weird one. My experience is that in the early stages, it's not helpful. When the project gets busier and I start to get near my limit, then it helps. Don't really know why. Although with 10.3 I think it'll be mostly redundant for me as there's so much overhead so, I'll probably just leave it off!

What is the demo track? Let me see if I can load it up here on 10.3. Our machines aren't too dissimilar; i7 4700mq 12GB. The new update is focused on VST performance but whatever they've done seems to have had a positive impact across the board. Once I know what track it is, hopefully I can confirm.

As for Sampletank 4, doesn't sound like a CPU issue to me. I've only experienced one VST crash with Reason (Roland Sound Canvas). Everything else seems to work fine so it might just be a compatibility issue, in which case raise a ticket with both IK and PH. Or check on Reasontalk or Propellerhead Reason Users group on FB and see if anyone else is able to run it.
The demo song is Carlstrom - Airplane. Funny, when I use ASIO4ALL instead of my Focusrite iTrack Solo ASIO driver the DSP bars in Reason are about half... I think my interface has a very shitty driver :(

Actually, I tried with the Focusrite driver and DSP are also way lower now. Don't know what is happening but my computer seems to be performing much better now out of the blue :o

It happened to me that I accidentally opened the normal non-beta Reason (10.2) - just because I am so used to simply clicking on the respective icon on my Windows Taskbar - and wondering for a moment why the performance is so bad again all of a sudden.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I've found it to be awash. There are some things that "seem" better but in windows performance, bars and overall use I find it to be remarkably the same.

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 am I've found it to be awash. There are some things that "seem" better but in windows performance, bars and overall use I find it to be remarkably the same.
Not in my case. I see really really big improvement. I mean it's like on par with every other DAW i have now (Reaper, Live and FL Studio). It wasn't at all until 10.3.

I use a lot of VST. For people using VST difference between 10.2 and 10.3 will be staggering. For people relying mostly on RE there is also improvement just not that much.

Ok testers, have they fixed the UA issue? or .......

Studio Saturn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 pm Ok testers, have they fixed the UA issue? or .......
Apparently they did - I've seen 3 people confirming it independently.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Studio Saturn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 pm Ok testers, have they fixed the UA issue? or .......
Yes they did!! It act normal in 10.3

They even fixed issue i reported to them with Kontakt hanging for 2 minutes when loading big libraries.

Has anyone tested changes to AU performance?
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pm Has anyone tested changes to AU performance?
No change. Still don't work :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:20 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pm Has anyone tested changes to AU performance?
No change. Still don't work :D
:lol:

I never use plugins with Reason, and didn't realize AU doesn't work. Guess I should have checked.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”