How's Reason 10.3 beta going?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Interesting; I wonder if bitwig and studio one have something like Cubase where when a track isn’t monitored it will use a higher buffer setting? If not they’re impressive scores! Not tried bitwig yet but I like the look of the new modular synth elements.
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:54 am
xbitz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 am win10, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 32GB RAM, Roland Duo-Capture EX 288 samples
Spire factory3 PL Anjuna Pluck (one bar one C note)

Studio One 4.14. 99 instances
Bitwig 2.5.1r4 81 instances
Reason 10.3b9d72 44 instances
Ableton Live 10.06 43 instances
Your Bitwig is broken ;) :D
benchmark https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... &t=7511633
test file: http://www.reflexion-x.com/downloads/R8 ... 0Hz.reason

10.2 instant crackling (this is why I'm not used it before) Reason 10.3b9d72 1:05 :o :clap:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 am win10, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 32GB RAM, Roland Duo-Capture EX 288 samples
Spire factory3 PL Anjuna Pluck (one bar one C note)

Studio One 4.14. 99 instances
Bitwig 2.5.1r4 81 instances
Reason 10.3b9d72 44 instances
Ableton Live 10.06 43 instances
So going by the way the Props measure things, S1 is 105% better in performance when compared to the current Release Candidate version, or in layman terms, just over twice as better in S1.

Bitwig is doing pretty well, especially with it's direct competitor being Ableton, and really Reason still looking to be in the poor man's bracket.

I'm sure at some point there will be a more comprehensive comparison of many of the DAWs out there to compare with Reason 10 which has been criticised for the past 2 years.

Still, if you are stuck in Reason's eco system, a 41% improvement in performance is pretty significant, but does highlight how shockingly bad Reason was.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Well if IIRC, Studio One required a couple iterations to not suck when it came to plugin related performance as well. Reason is improving faster, in that regard, id say.

pekbro wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 pm Well if IIRC, Studio One required a couple iterations to not suck when it came to plugin related performance as well. Reason is improving faster, in that regard, id say.
I don't know how you work that out... Reason has been performing about 40 percent less efficiently than what it could have been for over 10 years essentially. And given that a lot of RE's are really ports of VST instruments which were introduced way back in 2012, that's way longer than any performance optimisations in Studio One from version 3 where it wasn't matching the level of Reaper which is pretty much a bare bones DAW.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

pekbro wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 pm Well if IIRC, Studio One required a couple iterations to not suck when it came to plugin related performance as well.
At least from what i always read here. Frankly, i never noticed it was so bad in terms of VST performance. But, of course, i didn't really ever measure it scientifically (wouldn't even know how to).

I was talking about VST specifically. Anyway, obviously intrancer is an expert on reasons technical aspects as well as studio ones and reapers, so clearly I should just take his word for it. Even though, I’ve used them myself for years. :hihi:

*Sry been pretty ornery of late. Less patience for bs.

No worries. I feel the same recently. :D

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:11 pm
pekbro wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 pm Well if IIRC, Studio One required a couple iterations to not suck when it came to plugin related performance as well. Reason is improving faster, in that regard, id say.
I don't know how you work that out... Reason has been performing about 40 percent less efficiently than what it could have been for over 10 years essentially. And given that a lot of RE's are really ports of VST instruments which were introduced way back in 2012, that's way longer than any performance optimisations in Studio One from version 3 where it wasn't matching the level of Reaper which is pretty much a bare bones DAW.
I can’t remember if it was already detailed in the initial announcement, and as we’re still in beta I’ll not go into too much detail but there are reasons for Reason’s VST performance beyond “they just did it worse than everyone else”. Bear in mind there’s no direct equivalent to patching CV from and to anything in other VST hosts, modulating them from audio and CV sources at a relatively high rate.

However given how few people probably used it this way, I get that the initial implementation was frustrating. Reason is my primary DAW now but I did find myself holding back with instrumentation so I’m super happy I won’t have to do that now :) If Studio One and Bitwig are the new yardstick, well then let’s hope we get there sooner rather than later. But if it’s on a par with *most* other DAWs like Logic, Cubase, Ableton, then I think that’s a good place to be.

Next up, feature update right... 😄

chimp_spanner wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:43 pm Interesting; I wonder if bitwig and studio one have something like Cubase where when a track isn’t monitored it will use a higher buffer setting? If not they’re impressive scores! Not tried bitwig yet but I like the look of the new modular synth elements.
Studio One yes, Bitwig not. But I wouldn't pay too much attention to this result - it's just one VST, one preset and one measurement. Hardly a scientific test.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

features ... blocks already make Reason is the best usable DAW if u are in pattern based music
incredible powerful arranger tool, really happy to able to use it again,

oops I've missed the most important muting works not just only on block clips ...
so given type blocks can contains differently muted clip set
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I'm running the 10.2 demo and I'm getting the "computer too slow message" even though the CPU usage is 10%. I played with the CPU settings and optimized my computer to no avail. Buffer settings are maxed out with my Focusrite iTrack Solo (maybe that's the problem?). Any ideas?

Windows 10 64 bit, i7 3rd gen 2.3 quad core, 8gb ram, 500gb SSD.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:18 pm I'm running the 10.2 demo and I'm getting the "computer too slow message" even though the CPU usage is 10%. I played with the CPU settings and optimized my computer to no avail. Buffer settings are maxed out with my Focusrite iTrack Solo (maybe that's the problem?). Any ideas?

That’s literally what’s addressed in the 10.3 update :) shouldn’t get that again once it’s out.

xbitz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:07 pm features ... blocks already make Reason is the best usable DAW if u are in pattern based music
incredible powerful arranger tool, really happy to able to use it again,

oops I've missed the most important muting works not just only on block clips ...
so given type blocks can contains differently muted clip set
Yeah blocks are something I need to mess with more - interesting that you seem to have them stacked/overlapping there. Will try that out later! By features I’m just talking about little workflow things like track folders, auto loop slicing, multi-timbral MIDI support, just a small list of things that would make the experience even better for me personally!

chimp_spanner wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:20 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:18 pm I'm running the 10.2 demo and I'm getting the "computer too slow message" even though the CPU usage is 10%. I played with the CPU settings and optimized my computer to no avail. Buffer settings are maxed out with my Focusrite iTrack Solo (maybe that's the problem?). Any ideas?

That’s literally what’s addressed in the 10.3 update :) shouldn’t get that again once it’s out.
Yeah but I'm getting the error just playing the demo or even in a new project with just one instance of Europa. The DSP bars are absolutely crazy. I ran it in a much slower machine a few months back and had no issue. Besides the real CPU usage is barely 10% according to Task Manager but Reason's DSP bars are going into the red. There's something really fishy going on with my machine. :(

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”