How's Reason 10.3 beta going?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Without violating your NDA, how is it? Good? Bad? Ok? :hyper:

Danilo Villanova wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 am Without violating your NDA, how is it? Good? Bad? Ok? :hyper:
I don't see any difference in performance. I've not received invitation yet :P
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I was thinking that last night. I didn't participate as I knew I wouldn't really be able to to dedicate time to it, but as it's supposed to be released in April, I'm sure there can't be too much time remaining for the beta to be closed out.
Sweet child in time...

For me, it's brilliant. I use a pretty healthy mix of RE's and VSTs (like Kontakt/Kontrol, Superior 3, Helix Native, bunch of other random stuff). I usually work at 64 samples, as I'm a guitarist. But the issue previously was that was as my projects got busier, raising the buffer size basically made no difference to performance and didn't buy me any more headroom. Now at 512 samples I'd say I'm seeing as much as a 2/3 drop in CPU usage at the most. But at least 50% on average. Which is just great. And at buffer sizes beyond that, it scales more or less as you'd expect so if real time performance isn't vital (like you're at the mixing or prod phase) then there's tonnes of headroom. This is on a fairly old machine btw; HP Envy i74700MQ 12GB. I don't know exactly what's going on under the hood but it *feels* like performance is better at 64 samples as well, although I suspect for most just bumping up to 96 or 128 will make enough of a difference to continue working and adding instruments.

So yeah if you couldn't tell...I'm happy with it!
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

Ableton Live 10.06 43 Spire instances factory3 PL Anjuna Pluck (one bar one C note)
Reason 10.3b9 44 instances without crackling

win10, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 32GB RAM

so same as AL at this point

--
Bitwig 2.5.1rc3 87 instances with Within Bitwig (least resources plugin) settings
Last edited by xbitz on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:04 pm Ableton Live 10.06 43 Spire instances factory3 PL Anjuna Pluck (one bar one C note)
Reason 10.3b9 44 instances without crackling

win10, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 32GB RAM

so same as AL at this point

--
Bitwig 2.5.1rc3 87 instances with Withing Bitwig (least resources) settings
Good tiiiiiimes!

just because I was curious Bitwig 2.5.1rc3 By plug-in (sandboxed plugins) 71 instances
--
Roland Duo-Capture EX 288 samples
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I've had similar results to chimp_spanner, it's made a world of difference on my i7-4790k. I usually work with a 512 sample buffer.

antic604 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am
Danilo Villanova wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 am Without violating your NDA, how is it? Good? Bad? Ok? :hyper:
I don't see any difference in performance. I've not received invitation yet :P
:hihi:

Yeah, we're screwed unless they go to open beta which I don't think they do. This is the second time I've been snubbed for the beta.
Last edited by reggie1979 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoping to get an invite soon. I haven't been able to use Reason since I've bought it, at all, due to the VST performance issues. I would add a few instances of anything and my pc would be completely maxed and crazy amounts of popping/clicking etc.

FX8320, 32GB ram, Steinberg UR22mkII and M-Audio M-Track 2x2. I've picked up BWS since then and am much happier, but I quite like many of the synths in Reason. It might be time to sell Reason once BWS3 hits the shelves, gotta see if the Grid can replace all the fun stuff you can do w/ the Reason rack. Ideally they'd make a Reason Rack vst and I could get the best of both worlds. I'd put this pipe dream beyond any reasonable chance of happening but me and many others never thought Props would release a VST and Europa VST is here, so... never say never?

One thing I hope the rewrite does is make it so that it doesn't crackle when accessing the web. It's not a critical thing but it's really annoying.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:46 pm One thing I hope the rewrite does is make it so that it doesn't crackle when accessing the web. It's not a critical thing but it's really annoying.
Haha yeah this is a real thing - especially if you're referencing YouTube videos for work or checking emails in between writing and the like. I would, on the whole, recommend that you either use a second machine or tablet or something for that because browsers (and Chrome especially) can be hungry even under the best of circumstances. That said, I have noticed significantly less crackling when browsing, changing tabs.

Also, VCV Rack VST bridge seems to work without pauses or crackles in the audio now. If that's of interest to anyone!

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:46 pm One thing I hope the rewrite does is make it so that it doesn't crackle when accessing the web. It's not a critical thing but it's really annoying.
I would think that is more related to hardware and drivers rather than how any particular piece of software accesses the audio hardware of a machine.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:52 pm
I would think that is more related to hardware and drivers rather than how any particular piece of software accesses the audio hardware of a machine.
It isn't. I don't have that problem with other hosts.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:52 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:52 pm
It isn't. I don't have that problem with other hosts.
If it's Reason, don't you think that every Reason user would have this issue? Reason is exactly the same for every Reason user - the variable for every user is their audio infrastructure and the drivers that Reason uses to access that hardware.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”