2%
Hate is a negative emotion I don't give into
30%

Total votes: 562

RELATED
PRODUCTS

dupont wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:26 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 am
dupont wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 amyou can purchase a 1500 $ I7 windows laptop, Reaper 60 $ and lot of third party plugin
Yes, but then all you have is a Windows i7 laptop with Reaper that needs a thousand dollars of plugins. It costs the same to spend your plugins money on a better MacOS i9 computer with Logic that needs no plugins.
But you can choose which plugins you need and better than Logic stock plugins.
That's a good way of framing the decision: Should one spend a thousand dollars on better plugins, or a better OS and hardware?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Or you could pick up a DAW for £170 during Blackfriday with an included suite of plugins and features other DAWs don't have, buy a few third party plugins and a desktop PC that is much cheaper and more powerful than an equivalent laptop at a higher price. Giving you the best bang for the buck to performance ratio ;-).
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

but then when it comes to fresh installs less third party is quicker back to making music...I dont use logic but my daw does have awesome fx and this is indeed one benefit for me
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

If you want to do orchestral stuff with stock Logic instruments, you will be limited. I've spent a few €€€€s on 3rd party fx and instruments, and they are definitely better than native Logic stuff.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

$1000 on plugins like that's a big f**king deal. LMAO

last guitar I bought cost more than that

Bombadil wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:33 pm If you want to do orchestral stuff with stock Logic instruments, you will be limited. I've spent a few €€€€s on 3rd party fx and instruments, and they are definitely better than native Logic stuff.
that's why one size doesn't fit all :wink:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 pm but then when it comes to fresh installs less third party is quicker back to making music...I dont use logic but my daw does have awesome fx and this is indeed one benefit for me
Ableton?

jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 pmlast guitar I bought cost more than that
That's one vote for spending >$1000 on hardware
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I got most of my investment back when I sold it
I think I paid 1200 and got a thou back

It's the first guitar I bought, at 53.
I was always given guitars. I can't relate to spending money like that. It was the last legs of my journey with the thing. Beautiful tribute vintage strat.

From that same windfall I spent 10s of thousands on soft instruments. A single instrument, meh. I may have been spoiled.
This was nowhere in the vicinity of the first strat I owned, albeit it was prettier by a long ways.

Michael L wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 pm
jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 pmlast guitar I bought cost more than that
That's one vote for spending >$1000 on hardware
Well I'll add a vote. I have a piano that cost almost $2,000, but it is worth every penny.
Sweet child in time...

An acoustic piano? Thats either a steal or it must be bad...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:30 am An acoustic piano? Thats either a steal or it must be bad...
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... index.html

About $1,699 plus tax and shipping came to close to $2,000
Sweet child in time...

Every DAW I have used has had something especially annoying about it.

I saw a report yesterday on French TV whit a famous EDM producer in his studio.
He works with analogue gears and ... pro tool.
So I think this pool does not reflect the reality as pro tool is the 2nd most hated DAW.

dupont wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 am I saw a report yesterday on French TV whit a famous EDM producer in his studio.
He works with analogue gears and ... pro tool.
So I think this pool does not reflect the reality as pro tool is the 2nd most hated DAW.
Actually this is exactly how I would expect it to play out.
Pro Tools is at least in the USA in every major studio it's ubiquitous, and it was at one point really really expensive. It's not a bad program at all, but it's still not cheap, and it's own format AAX is usually hiked up price wise compared to the same plug in in VST or AU format. So it's not at all surprising that it's not popular here.

Reaper has gotten more and more popular among home studio nerds, it's very quirky and can be really frustrating to wrap your head around at first. It's powerful once you spend time with it. It also has zealots, there are people who swear by it and can't imagine why anyone else would use anything else, so they come across like Krishnas or Jehovahs Witnesses. This leads to people hating the DAW.

Logic was cross platform until Apple bought it's parent company Emagic, and dumped the Windows version. Obvious reasons for the hate there.

Fruity Loops or FL Studio started out as a step up from Trackers, and it's got a lot of quirks leftover from that. It's also PC only, with all kinds of stops and starts on a possible OSX version. It has a few zealots as well, but I'm betting it's mostly the odd quirk that makes things 'different' when doing something that's not and issue at all in DAWs like Logic and Cubase that has this high hate ranking.

I'm more surprised at how little hate Cubase and Studio One got really. Not because they suck, but because they're popular and people do switch away from them at times.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”