Steinberg Spectralayers

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SpectraLayers Pro

Was doing some reading on Spectralayers yesterday and noticed that the developers twitter feed has a post about a presentation for “Steinberg Spectralayers” from NAMM Jan 2018.

https://mobile.twitter.com/divideconcept?lang=en - third post down.

Does anyone know anything about this? Am I readying too much into this? I was really hoping Magix was working towards tighter integration between Sound Forge and Spectralayers.

Nathan
Last edited by nathanj on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I think that may be just a joke with banner advertising that was unrelated to the presentations.

Ah, ok. I’m just an idiot. I’ll retitle the thread to avoid confusion

Its no joke...

There was a presentation at NAAM this year. Not seen any official announcement of its launch, but it is stated at the end of this video that along with ARA2 technology in Cubase, the new 'Spectralayers Pro v6' is coming this April... by Steinberg.!
https://www.facebook.com/Steinberg/vide ... =2&theater
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

super interesting. perfect use case for ARA2. along with melodynes "musical" capabilities, vocaligns "timing" capabilities and now spectra layers "spectral" capabilities ARA should slowly take off and bring completely new types of plugins to the table.

Hmm... Looks interesting. Still... Coming in April do raise some suspicions. I mean maybe something planned for April 1st?

Anyway - If this is true, there is a lot of nice stuff coming up...

Thanks for the link @thebutler

I’m bummed it’s coming out by steinberg because it will need a dongle. But at least it will now integrate with any DAW that supports ARA 2. That is a smart move.

I’ve once again renamed the thread.

I guess the developers felt it had a safer development future with Steinberg than Magix - understandably

Hey, this is Bill Evans, the new co-designer of SpectraLayers. To address questions…
  • Yes, SpectraLayers is distriubted by Steinberg now. They're fantastic about supporting the product, and it's great working with them.
  • We were at NAMM this year, and spent…some of the time…at the booth demonstrating the new version. There's a lot of interesting things at NAMM.
  • We are indeed using ARA2. It's an advanced integartion. Celemony are good peoples. Support for ARA is coming to lots more DAWs in the near future. There's still a stand-alone version of SpectraLayers, too. And the AAX thing for Pro Tools.
  • I don't think a dongle will be required. Aiming not to, but still firming that up. There's some technical issues there. Steinberg is being very cool about it.
  • Not sure when promotion will start, but not for a while.
  • Nathan, I can't say anything specific, but I think you'll be happy.
  • Not April. But soon.
Feel free to ask any questions, or email me [bill AT spectralayers DOT net]. (I'd prefer something posted here, so everyone can read.)

Bill

What about Magix?

Hey bill,

Thank you for clearing things up and being open to answer our questions!
I do have some at hand:

1. is spectralayers planned to stay as a product on its own, or might there be a chance that it get merged into another product? Maybe the spectralayers tech is going to be in wavelab one day or something. I know, kinda risky and nonsensical question at this point, but maybe you are able to give a hint!?

2. question is tied to the first: might there be some parts of spectralayers incorporated into other Steinberg applications?

3. are there good news for owners of sl5 in terms of upgrade/crossgrade pricing?

4. Are there good news for owners of sl4 in terms of upgrade/crossgrade pricing?
I definitely passed SL5 (Sound Forge 12&13 too) because MAGIX' awful care for customer relation and those disturbing upgrade policies.

Thanks for the response, Bill!

I'm really happy to hear that Steinberg is providing a supportive environment for Spectralayers development. Spectralayers has a special place in my heart and I've wondered about its future from time to time.

One other question, though I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to answer it: will Spectralayers 6 have VST support? This would make sense given that it's a Steinberg product now. That is, in my opinion, the one major missing feature of the software. Once that is added...

Thanks again,

Nathan

perfumer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:31 am What about Magix?
Hi, I'm not sure what you mean?

hlecram wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:30 pm Hey bill,

Thank you for clearing things up and being open to answer our questions!
I do have some at hand:

1. is spectralayers planned to stay as a product on its own, or might there be a chance that it get merged into another product? Maybe the spectralayers tech is going to be in wavelab one day or something. I know, kinda risky and nonsensical question at this point, but maybe you are able to give a hint!?

2. question is tied to the first: might there be some parts of spectralayers incorporated into other Steinberg applications?

3. are there good news for owners of sl5 in terms of upgrade/crossgrade pricing?
1) SpectraLayers will remain its own product.

2) Not as such, but there's some interesting things here - let me check on I can say, and I'll get back with ya.

3) Good question. Steinberg feels strongly it's important to honour existing SL customers when it comes to upgrade pricing. The upgrade price from five is nice.

Bill

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”