Ableton Transpose Automation

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I record automation with the transpose knob I can't locate the red line that depicts automation for like every other function and filter etc in Ableton.

So if you sort of know what I'm talking about, you're familiar with that red line that shows all the automation you've done. I typically view and edit that in arrangement view. Well, I can't edit what i can't find.

the recording of my automation (transposition) is recorded, but from the drop downs on the right hand side of arrangement view for that audio track I can't seem to find "Transpose" anywhere.

Anyone know?

Bump :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nidg1TUhA0Y

select from Envelopes:
device chooser: Clip
control chooser: Transposition

sl1914 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nidg1TUhA0Y

select from Envelopes:
device chooser: Clip
control chooser: Transposition
What if I want to edit it in my arrangement though. It's like they forgot this parameter. I did open envelopes. I did select transposition. It does work, but only for that clip. So, if I wanted to first record the looping audio clip, and then afterwards edit the transposition in the arrangement view, I wouldn't be able to do so.

I have a sinking feeling that there is no fix for this arrangement view issue. I'm accustomed to editing there (in arrangement) like I do with all other parameters: reverb and filters or whatever else.

Also, I have a support request in to Ableton technical support, and a post up at their forum. Hopefully some answers soon.

Thank you for your help! :)

Well, let's say you have your looping audio in a clip. Record that into arrangement as long as you need, let's say 32 bars.
Then select the clip and switch Loop from linked to Unlinked. Set clip envelopes length to same as arrangement view's recorded length, 32bars in this example. Then you have 32 bar long automation curve that you can edit. Works?

That sounds about right! :) Thank you

EDIT: I just tried and I don't think it works :( Oh well.

I recorded the looping audio and it appeared in Arrangement as a 30 sec. recording or so.

I switched back to Session and opened Envelopes then unlinked it but it doesn't show my recording; only the sample that I looped which is much shorter than 30 and not what I was trying to do.

Did I do it wrong? I thought I did it right.

Anyone could try it if they want... Just drop a sample in an audio track, hit global record and play on the clip so it plays over and over. Once the audio is recorded I'm thinking there ought to be a way to edit in some transposition.

From arrangement view, I have opened the triangles and searched the drop downs. Even if I have recorded in some transposition automation while the audio sample was looping and being recorded, it doesn't show up anywhere in arrangement view. It will let you transpose in Session view by opening the envelope and selecting transpose... then it gives you the red line so you can make adjustments, but only for the length of the clip. So you can transpose for two bars (however long it is) and it will loop that instead of the original sample, but it can only do the same thing over and over, not make gradual changes over time; which is what I think would be useful and can't figure out why this feature isn't apparent like other automation is.

It does work. Once you have recorded your audio to arrangement, select the recorded audio.
Set its envelope Loop Unlinked and length to what your audio length is. (on the right side of the word Unlinked). And then edit the automation curve.

Ok. I'll try it out! :)

Thanks!

I have recorded 8 bars of a looping 1 bar audio sample. I have selected the recorded audio in arrangement view. Now I've also done what you said about Loop and Unlinked. But what appears is a blank clip with no audio in Session view while my recording is still highlighted in Arrangement view.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong... I don't know.. .lol

How can you see Session View and Arrangement View at the same time?
If you are drawing automation for the recorded audio in Arrangement view, then it doesn't matter what you see in Session view.

If you look at the start picture of the Youtube video I posted earlier, there the person has selected some audio in Arrangement view and is editing its transpose automation. His automation curve is Linked because it's not repeating one session view clip many times.

sl1914 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:21 pm How can you see Session View and Arrangement View at the same time?
If you are drawing automation for the recorded audio in Arrangement view, then it doesn't matter what you see in Session view.

If you look at the start picture of the Youtube video I posted earlier, there the person has selected some audio in Arrangement view and is editing its transpose automation. His automation curve is Linked because it's not repeating one session view clip many times.
You can't see them at the same time you can only switch between them, which is what I had done when I last posted.

You are correct that if you are drawing automation for the recorded audio in Arrangement view then it doesn't matter what you see in Session view.

I will review the video and try again.

Thank you! :)

EDIT: You are right! It will let you see the clip in Arrangement view and pencil in automation, however as soon as I unlink it no longer is associated with the recorded audio. So it doesn't seem to want to work. Really sorry. I know it must sound like I'm simply doing it wrong.

LInk and Unlink are alternatives. You should decide which one to use before drawing automation. If you chance it after this, the automation is lost. Unlink means that automation may have different length than the audio. So if your clip is 1 bar long and it repeats 8 times, your Unlinked automation length can be 8 bars long. If you change it back to Linked, automation length becomes 1 bar.

Oh. What's happening for me is that as soon as I de-select Link, or rather elect to Unlink it shows no information for the clip: no soundwaves or anything in the space where it previously had shown the soundwave. I don't know if this helps or not. So what I'm trying to say is that once I have it recorded and everything is all set to go, if I select Unlink there is no longer anything in the clip (1 bar 8 bar or otherwise) left to automate. It disappears.

In my case the clip image also disappears when I select Unlink, BUT that is just a visual thing. I can draw the automation curve and I can HEAR how it changes the sound. This is how it works in Live10.

sl1914 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:46 am In my case the clip image also disappears when I select Unlink, BUT that is just a visual thing. I can draw the automation curve and I can HEAR how it changes the sound. This is how it works in Live10.
Ok. that clarifies everything! That totally fixes the problem. Thank you. :roll:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”