Views on Reaper!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

Calling all Reaper users.

Is it a very complicated daw to use? I demo'd it ages ago and it seemed very cumbersome.

I use Reason and I'm a bit fed up of waiting for simple features like muting a midi note.

I want to switch to Logic but don't have a Mac. Was thinking Reaper.

What are it's pro's and cons. I love that Imperial Theme btw.

Thanks!

I'm not sure. It's not cumbersome for me at all, but that could just because I'm "used to its cumbersomeness," as people tend to develop a second nature about even very difficult things if they're done them long enough.

Why don't you try demoing it again and see how it feels to finish a whole track. If your demo time expired, I'm sure there's a way to reset it—I don't think it'd be illegal for genuinely trying to decide whether to purchase it or not.

It is only something like £45 ($60 US) to buy isn't it.

Just found when I demo'd it about 2 years ago, I couldn't crack on with a track as there was so many things to click or something wouldn't work and found you needed to click on many different things in menu's to do stuff. Just wanted to know if other people think it's worth it (s'pose you can't grumble at that price) to really get into.

Another thing that seriously let it down was the "No GUI" on it's native plug-ins. They could do with changing that.

Anyway, downloading it again and just wanted to ask, does it have any native synths in it or just effects?
s

Eclectrophonic wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 pm It is only something like £45 ($60 US) to buy isn't it.

Just found when I demo'd it about 2 years ago, I couldn't crack on with a track as there was so many things to click or something wouldn't work and found you needed to click on many different things in menu's to do stuff. Just wanted to know if other people think it's worth it (s'pose you can't grumble at that price) to really get into.

Another thing that seriously let it down was the "No GUI" on it's native plug-ins. They could do with changing that.

Anyway, downloading it again and just wanted to ask, does it have any native synths in it or just effects?
s
Does anyone actually use the native Reaper plugins? I guess I suppose they work, but never really hard of anyone actually using them, lol.

Reaper is great if you have your own purchased plugins, or some free ones from online. My favorite part about it is that it almost never crashes, and it can do just about anything you can imagine, and if it can't, just Google it and someone probably has a downloadable script that will do it.

If you were looking at Logic, i'd rather say don't look at Reaper. Logic is streamlined, simple, and easy to get into. Reaper is sort of the opposite, for me, it's rather a DAW for people who know what they want, and how to establish it in Reaper. You can modify a lot, and you will have to, if you want your DAW to behave the way you want it to. I wouldn't even say it is particularly difficult to get into Reaper, but, it's a DAW for a certain clientel, and, if you don't belong to that clientel, you won't get happy with it, IMO.

Studio One might be more to your liking, because it also has a simplicistic, ease-of-use appeal. The GUI isn't perfect, but, it does the job. If you really can't live with the GUI or the looks, take a look at Cubase, which looks better, and feels more "tidy". I like that Studio One requires less clicks and open windows, though.

twitewhite wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 pm
Eclectrophonic wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 pm It is only something like £45 ($60 US) to buy isn't it.

s
Does anyone actually use the native Reaper plugins? I guess I suppose they work, but never really hard of anyone actually using them, lol.

Reaper is great if you have your own purchased plugins, or some free ones from online. My favorite part about it is that it almost never crashes, and it can do just about anything you can imagine, and if it can't, just Google it and someone probably has a downloadable script that will do it.
I personally love REAPER and their stock EQ and Compressor are used extensively.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

It’s not actually complicated, but the menus would have you believe that. There are tons of commands and they’re not very nicely or concisely displayed. You can edit the menus, so look for some more coherent ones from users in the forums before you run screaming into the night.

reaper is an amazing app for the price esp.
it's almost infinitely configurable which is a double-edged sword, but if you know what you want to get out of it, that just means you can set it up exactly thet way you want. it's no harder to learn than most DAWs really. it's the best all-round daw there is imo.

It's also very stable and has no problems loading any vst I throw at it. As someone once said "I could rest my pint on it" :D
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXqYk1FoWA

twitewhite wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 pm

s

Eclectrophonic wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 pm ... Reaper.

What are it's pro's and cons?
Cons:
  • The first use is cumbersome, because it needs
    a lot of customizing
  • The default GUI is simple (some say "ugly")
  • Some features are missing (no groove-templates,
    no trackinspector, no decent pitch editor like
    flex-pro in logic, a modular workflow is not really easy)
  • No added synths (for many this is a "pro-argument"!)
Pros:
  • Extremely efficent code + very stable
  • Exremely flexible and customizable. You can customize
    nearly everything, create your own script-commands and
    your own themes
  • The standard-plugins look simple, but they are good +
    efficient
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a decision between Apple Logic and Cockos Reaper is
very difficult. Still Logic is probably the best featured DAW
with the best workflow (environment, folder-structure,
plugins). But it is constrained to the Mac-platform - with all
its "specialities".

Reaper is also a good DAW - it is still growing, but if you
really want to work with Reaper you have to invest a lot
of time for tweaking and customizing first.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

This is probably why Reaper clicked with me before every other DAW over a year ago when I got back into music. It's actually less complicated to me it works the way I thought a DAW should work today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naE9lEDth1g

It can be annoying at first, but give some time to customization in shortcuts and it's the easiest DAW available.

Don't get it why people keep saying that you have to "customize" Reaper before you can get things done. Sounds like an urban legend to me. Switched from Cubase and had to check a few things first, like you always have to, but then there was no further "diploma from the DAW University" needed.

You're not forced to make use of the versatility that's offered by Reaper and it's defo not necessary to know it inside out to use it like any other DAW.

elassi wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm Don't get it why people keep saying that you have to "customize" Reaper before you can get things done. Sounds like an urban legend to me. Switched from Cubase and had to check a few things first, like you always have to, but then there was no further "diploma from the DAW University" needed.

You're not forced to make use of the versatility that's offered by Reaper and it's defo not necessary to know it inside out to use it like any other DAW.
Yes I thought that about the customisation. Gonna download White Ties, "Imperial Theme" too.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”