Logic Pro X alternative

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:18 pm Yeah yeah it was, i agree, and i;m super happy with it.
the Macs however, were less impressive

Just been checking my cycle count for my early 2013 Macbook Pro and it reads this

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 230
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12318

Is this normal? The Mac seems to run the same as when I got it, I'm only asking as I read online about the power cycle till battery dies :o How many cycles can I expect from this machine roughly till I need a new one?

Rob

you don't need a new one, you can only get the battery replaced. Get it replaced when it says "Service Battery".

I replaced my 2012 because the CPU couldn't handle me anymore

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:28 pm you don't need a new one, you can only get the battery replaced. Get it replaced when it says "Service Battery".

I replaced my 2012 because the CPU couldn't handle me anymore
Yeah it seems mine will be fine for a long while yet so I'm happy :tu:

2012-2015 were great, i was super happy with mine. CPU was the only thing that was lagging behind.
the 2016-2018, especially 2018 (T2) have issues, which is why i opened this in the first place.

(then lost track, sorry guys)

So getting off the phone just now with a Senior Advisor in the pro applications department specifically for Logic Pro. I was told that the USB-A ports were not designed for audio data but only for charging devices. So audio was not intended when they designed and included these ports on the 2018 Mac Mini which is why we're having these issues. This only pertains to USB2 on the 2018 Mac Mini. USB3 through the USB-C ports should work fine which means using what MC referred to which is the TB3 hub/dock. He told me during his training on hardware he remembered learning about this. He also recommended to use a hub or a dongle in particular the same one that MC referenced here on this thread. So not RME at all guys. Sounds like it's by Apple's design that this happens. Thanks to the guys at RME in the meantime working hard to get it to work!
wow.
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi ... 72#p138472

rob_lee wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 pm Just been checking my cycle count for my early 2013 Macbook Pro and it reads this

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 230
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12318

Is this normal? The Mac seems to run the same as when I got it, I'm only asking as I read online about the power cycle till battery dies :o How many cycles can I expect from this machine roughly till I need a new one?
Nice thread hijack.

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:43 am
So getting off the phone just now with a Senior Advisor in the pro applications department specifically for Logic Pro. I was told that the USB-A ports were not designed for audio data but only for charging devices. So audio was not intended when they designed and included these ports on the 2018 Mac Mini which is why we're having these issues. This only pertains to USB2 on the 2018 Mac Mini. USB3 through the USB-C ports should work fine which means using what MC referred to which is the TB3 hub/dock. He told me during his training on hardware he remembered learning about this. He also recommended to use a hub or a dongle in particular the same one that MC referenced here on this thread. So not RME at all guys. Sounds like it's by Apple's design that this happens. Thanks to the guys at RME in the meantime working hard to get it to work!
wow.
Double wow. There’s no good interpretation for something like this.

:lol:

That Apple excuse is the lamest I ever read. :lol:

WTF is a USB connector "only for charging devices"? That's not a USB connector AT ALL.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:43 am
wow.

Good to know... I am using a powered USB-C hub with my Mac Mini... that is why I have not had any problems.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:33 pm Good to know... I am using a powered USB-C hub with my Mac Mini... that is why I have not had any problems.
You don't seem like the type that's whack enough to try to connect a firewire device to a USB2 port like a lot of people in that thread were...

Cubase from what I hear is similar to Logic in layout.

Studio one also somewhat but not as cool instruments.

Reason is similar in some areas. It has great instruments probably the most logic like but in terms of workflow it probably falls short.

Ableton Suite comes with a nice selection of stuff but alot more expensive and totally different workflow but I love its workflow.

I think none though offers all of the stuff Logic has though but all excel at different areas.

Cubase, FL Studio, great piano rolls.

Reason modular environment, unique RE market. Alot of cool instruments and effects stuff built in. A wide userbase.

Ableton unique workflow, cool instruments and effects. Great for EDM, pattern based music, sample mangling. A wide userbase.

Bitwig is ableton with a different twist. It excels in certain areas Ableton doesn't (and vice versa)

Studio One, well rounded, great for mixing, recording.

Reaper, the most customizable DAW on the planet. Can be very fast once you get the hang of it. Extremely affordable, efficient.

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 pm I really have no clue why I should have an alternative to Logic Pro... :roll:
because I might not have time to learn software when apple inexplicably drops it in two weeks
Sorry, that‘s BS and you know it...
Absolutely! Apple makes billions selling computers that are required to run their Pro Apps like Logic, MainStage, Final Cut Pro, Motion, etc. Just because they no longer support Aperture, doesn't mean they're dumping all other Pro Apps. True that FCP X had problems eight years ago when Apple transitioned from FCP7, but in 2019, it's an excellent mature app that I use all the time. The OP is worried about a problem that doesn't exist.

To have a real alternative to Logic Pro X, you have to look at software that dates back as long as Logic (meaning software that started as MIDI sequencers, and later added digital audio).

That means, currently, Cubase and Digital Performer. If you care about MIDI and virtual instruments, take a look at these two. Both are cross platform now (exist in both Mac and Windows) and if you ever want to change from Mac to Windows your investment is protected.

Reason, Live, Bitwig Studio, FL Studio, etc. are not alternatives IMO, since their workflow is completely different - they follow a different paradigm. You may or may not adapt.
Last edited by fmr on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I agree with the Bitwig suggestions. It's the one that I think has a smooth creative workflow and is very advanced on the development side. Bitwig literally thinks "out of the box" and will serve you well for both audio and midi. If Bitwig is not your cup of tea then I would suggest Ableton Live over Logic. Especially these days, why would you want to get used to work with anything that is OS exclusive ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”