Logic Pro X alternative

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Pro Tools (11.5) and Cubase (7.5) but i hate them both, together with their licensing methods.

Since Apple is doing god knows what the f**k, i'm exploring alternatives since you never know when Apple pulls the plug or pulls a FCPX on us (and essentially renders Logic useless for two or three years).

I've been eyeing Studio One, seems like a weird mashup of Cubase and Logic (And a little protools) and seems to be holding quite well.

Also has HiDPI support...
Anyway, i'm not switching as long as things work, but i'm not trusting apple anymore.

There’s always Ableton Live. Fl Studio has a Mac version now too. Bitwig anyone? Is Final Cut Pro not working right now? I just got LPX a few months ago as an alternative to Live. I just needed to try something different, as in a more linear fashion. The usual quirks and glitches aside, I can’t imagine Logic doing something to their flagship software to render it useless.

Ive actually started doing the same. But my main candidate atm is Live. I also got a little bit of a vibe that who knows what apple decides to do next.

.less
Last edited by topaz on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W23 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 pm There’s always Ableton Live. Fl Studio has a Mac version now too. Bitwig anyone? Is Final Cut Pro not working right now? I just got LPX a few months ago as an alternative to Live. I just needed to try something different, as in a more linear fashion. The usual quirks and glitches aside, I can’t imagine Logic doing something to their flagship software to render it useless.
Well, they killed of Aperture, they recoded whole iWork suite with half functionality missing, they developed FCPX from scratch with half functions missing only being added back at version 4.
First version of FCPX didn't allow custom file names, it saved directly to Documents > Movies on home drive, no other way around.
They lost majority of market share that day.

They killed off pretty much all Logic Studio suite apps sans MainStage.

topaz wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:55 pm Cubase 10 next Reaper.
Nah, i hate Cubase and it's elicenser and clunky interface. :neutral:

And reaper in terms of UX is a hot mess.
mrj1nx wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:48 pm Ive actually started doing the same. But my main candidate atm is Live. I also got a little bit of a vibe that who knows what apple decides to do next.

i just can't get a hang of Live for some reason. it just doesn;t click with me.

I keep Tracktion around for when Logic bothers me.

Let me rephrase
I keep Logic around for when Tracktion bothers me
Which isn't often
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Come to Bitwig. The water is warm here.

Ploki wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:59 pm
Well, they killed of Aperture, they recoded whole iWork suite with half functionality missing, they developed FCPX from scratch with half functions missing only being added back at version 4.
First version of FCPX didn't allow custom file names, it saved directly to Documents > Movies on home drive, no other way around.
They lost majority of market share that day.

They killed off pretty much all Logic Studio suite apps sans MainStage.
[/quote]

Oh shit. That IS bad! What a terrible idea. Do you think they just kind of rolled over in favor of Avid, or something? Why would they cripple their software like that, I wonder?

Tracktion has been recently revived yeah?

W23 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:06 pm
Oh shit. That IS bad! What a terrible idea. Do you think they just kind of rolled over in favor of Avid, or something? Why would they cripple their software like that, I wonder?
my guess is to make it more accessible to iOS to Mac immigration

Ploki wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm
W23 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:06 pm
my guess is to make it more accessible to iOS to Mac immigration
Sounds like a long, winding way to go about it

Worse comes to worst, I'll just stay with Logic 10.4.4., and buy 2nd hand macs as necessary. I can't see myself wanting anythng else. Logic has a couple of really good synths, good fx. I am wary of Apple as well, but there's nothing other than Logic that appeals to me. If there was never another upgrade, or downgrade, I'd be happy with what I have.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

I think the biggest thing to deal with is ignoring the update reminders for a bit until you hear from those adventurous enough to jump right in at every update. That little red dot on the App Store thumbnail is pretty insistent!

My advice would be...don't focus on problems until they actually exist. Play around, but don't throw money at an alternative until Logic actually starts creating roadblocks to your creativity.

i went on a similar journey last year because i felt Live was going in a direction that didn't help me out. Tried out a bunch of DAWs, instrument and effect alternatives...but found that i was still creating better music faster in Live. So i'm sticking with it until it actually makes my life harder.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”