Cubase bug out of nowhere. Has anybody experienced this?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I’m still using cubase pro 8. It’s fine for what I do and my system has been stable for quite some time.

However, while cubase was open, I closed a project I had just finished, and when the “new project” prompt came up, I selected my standard composing template, but when the prompt for the project folder came up, the only two items in the list are “desktop” and my “user folder” along with all the sub folders. So now I have to make a project and then back it up into a new folder in order to have my project in the right place. It’s a pretty big hassle to take so many extra steps while starting a project.

I may have accidentally changed a setting somewhere, but I don’t really see how. Has anyone else out there experienced this. I work in the studio full time and this is getting olds fast. Is there a setting where you can limit the possible locations for new projects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m going to attempt to make a shortcut folder to my work drive on the desktop and see if that does anything. If there is something I’m overlooking (which I hope is the case). I’d love to know about it. This may finally push me to upgrade cubase, but I’m really not interested in doing that at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I think it's time to trash preferences. This is probably some corruption somewhere.

I’m about to do that. I hope my backup preferences are good. I have cubase pretty vastly modified from the defaults.

jancivil wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:24 pm I think it's time to trash preferences. This is probably some corruption somewhere.
Do you know if there is a preference that deals with “available” locations for projects? I thought I had looked through all the prefs and saw nothing that I might have somehow changed. I guess the preferences could just be corrupted. I have heard of this, but it seems strange, when none of the preferences deal with this.

Thanks for your help,
JJ

No, I don't.
I always make a copy of Key Commands, RAM Presets (for controller lane presets), Project Logical Editor. And Logical Edit, so I don't have to rebuild manually. And Project Templates, although all that is is projects you can store anywhere for the purpose.

Don't expect it to make sense, Cubase does weird inexplicable shit which is magically fixed by trashing preferences, very typically.
I'm pretty sure you can't have done anything to cause it yourself, it's not how it works, what you described.
IE: Is there a setting where you can limit the possible locations for new projects? No.
It's "Use Default Location" or "Prompt for Project Location", period, I'm reasonably certain.

When I do, I have over 20 things in Preferences I have to go into. Key Commands, no way, it's too much. And the RAM Presets, if you have controller lanes set up these vanish.

I think saving 'User Preferences.xml' may avoid this rebuilding prefs literally in Preferences but this also may be where the corruption lives, so I don't.

I did a safe mode startup and everything worked as it should so I guess I’ll be trashing the preferences. So the one other issue I regularly have with cubase 8 is it won’t fully unload huge projects more than half of the time, so I have to kill the process in task manager. This only happens in stuff with 10GB or more being used by the cubase process. Anybody else have this behavior? And if so has it been improved in 9 or 10?

This would speed up my life some. I don’t have anything bizzare in there. It’s almost all Kontakt instances that makes this happen. My “big basic scoring” template takes around 14GB to open up. It won’t fully close, probably, 85 percent of the time. Cubase support seems to like to refuse to believe there’s anything wrong that isn’t my fault though so I’ve just been living with it and refusing to update until A: I build a whole new rig or B: I can confirm this behavior is gone.

Damn Germans.

Thanks for the help,
JJ

There was a thread not long ago with people talking about a problem closing w. 9.5 iirc.

I honestly recommend if you're going to have a basic 14GB kind of a template to get with VE Pro. The VEP project I have up right now is around that according to Activity Monitor. It takes around 7, 8 seconds to unload. I decouple it with Cubase or Nuendo, strictly. Saves are quick, all is stable.

I have a 42 GB template for full on scores that I use VEP for. It doesn’t really seem worth it for a quarter of the ram. It also makes adding random extra stuff that the score needs really easy. I might should make a “small” VEP template. I was having issues with crashing when I would add Kontakt or (god forgive me) Play to cubase when I just needed an extra sound or 7. Then I’d be stuck reloading VEP and cubase.

I was hoping to se Kontakt 6 be a vst 3 so all 4 ports could be used in one multi and it could do the nifty memory and cpu purging tricks that vst3 can do on the fly. I guess NI is gonna hold out as long as they can for the vst 3 train. I can’t blame them. It sounds like a nightmare for porting.

I’ll look around, here and at VI control, for more info on the unload bug. Thanks again for all the help.

JJ

Well, it would get rid of this issue for sure.

Do you ever have issues adding additional Kontakt instances to cubase while running your main set of instruments through VEP? I did. It’s been a while and I’m sure VEP has been updated a good deal since as has Kontakt. I often would have a crash when I would try to add an instance on Kontakt to the edge of the template (inside cubase) when I needed to add an odd instrument for a one off type of usage.

I’ll give it a go. What is the latest full version of VEP? I haven’t done a paid upgrade since 2015.

I didn't really load Kontakt into Cubase since I adopted VE Pro.
Current version is 6.0.17226, released Nov 27.
2015 sounds like VE Pro 5. Yes, 6 came out Aug 6 2016.

Any noticeable stability improvements in moving to 6?

I don't remember there being stability issues much. I moved to 6 immediately.

It's much more efficient. This is the manual intro to the new features:
6.png

It does scan and load quite fast today.
I don't use the Auto-Save, I decouple and preserve everything so the changes I make don't involve Cubase, Cubase doesn't know about it; so I save when I make any change. I used it through 2017 when I was creating music on real dinky laptops.
It's just smoother sailing. I use extensive automation in its mapping, it's all in a single list in Cubendo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meant 9/10. I’m on 8. 5 works pretty well to this day on my system.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”