Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

Maybe they were waiting for MIDI 2.0. But I think the original thread hijacker was simply a little tired of the gripe. I rarely use MPE, but it is something that should be there.

PieBerger wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm With the announcement of MIDI2.0, which as I understand it will replace MPE, is it worth Ableton's development time to come up with a stop gap measure in the meantime, to satiate such a small percentage of it's overall user base?
Within the glacial timeframe it will probably take for the agreement on MIDI2, almost certainly.
In that case perhaps MPE is likely to come to Live before then. It's been a good few years since Push2 was launched and Ableton are no doubt working on a successor. Perhaps they have plans for Push3 to be MPE compliant and will thus wait until they launch it before rolling out MPE support to all users with a new update. Announcing Push3 too early would likely hurt the sales of Push2, as would a point release update with MPE support imo. It's reasonable to assume that if Live supports MPE, that Push3 would also be MPE compliant , Ableton would be mad not to design it that way, thus sales would likely slump as potential buyers wait out the impending release of the newer, shinier, more capable model.
Push does not easily lend itself to MPE... it requires a continuous surface, not individual pads.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:29 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm With the announcement of MIDI2.0, which as I understand it will replace MPE, is it worth Ableton's development time to come up with a stop gap measure in the meantime, to satiate such a small percentage of it's overall user base?
Within the glacial timeframe it will probably take for the agreement on MIDI2, almost certainly.
In that case perhaps MPE is likely to come to Live before then. It's been a good few years since Push2 was launched and Ableton are no doubt working on a successor. Perhaps they have plans for Push3 to be MPE compliant and will thus wait until they launch it before rolling out MPE support to all users with a new update. Announcing Push3 too early would likely hurt the sales of Push2, as would a point release update with MPE support imo. It's reasonable to assume that if Live supports MPE, that Push3 would also be MPE compliant , Ableton would be mad not to design it that way, thus sales would likely slump as potential buyers wait out the impending release of the newer, shinier, more capable model.
Push does not easily lend itself to MPE... it requires a continuous surface, not individual pads.
You're right there, I guess a continuous surface doesn't lend itself well for finger drumming or live triggering of clips etc in Session view, which is a bit of a non-starter for a beat/melody/live performance hybrid controller.
Always Read the Manual!

Yeah we know, Bitwig has MPE and Ableton Live doesn't. But why do the Bitwig fanboys feel the urge to repeat this in EVERY Ableton Live thread? :roll:

Lots of DAWs (Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Bitwig etc) have some form of MPE, it’s not a Bitwig vs Ableton thing.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Reefius wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:20 pm Yeah we know, Bitwig has MPE and Ableton Live doesn't. But why do the Bitwig fanboys feel the urge to repeat this in EVERY Ableton Live thread? :roll:
We get a decent free update after a year, they don't. :wink:

mutantdog wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 am
Reefius wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:20 pm Yeah we know, Bitwig has MPE and Ableton Live doesn't. But why do the Bitwig fanboys feel the urge to repeat this in EVERY Ableton Live thread? :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutantdog wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 am
Maybe we should mention that in every Bitwig thread :P

Bitwig gets a decent update every 4 months, I was happy to pay 120 for the updates from 2-3, I personally wasn’t tempted by the 250 Ableton wanted for 9-10 (probably as I was using Bitwig more) but these point updates definately make it more attractive. Now DP also has clip launching (that looks a lot like Live) it isn’t just Bitwig vs Live now!

Ps if you look in the Bitwig forum you will find a post praising the 10.1 update and requesting many of the new features in Live be implemented in Bitwig!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

mutantdog wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 amWe get a decent free update after a year, they don't. :wink:
Between when Live 10 was announced and now, "we" got quite a few things as well and the upgrade cost - to get the ones in v2.4, last 4 bullets - was typically 3/5 of Live 10 upgrade cost.

Just the important, daily-use things:
  • Time Shift Device
  • Sample & Hold, Quantize, Audio Rate, Polynom modulators
  • Phase-4 Synthesizer
  • Instrument and FX Selector Devices
  • Voice Stacking and Voice Stack Modulator
  • Zplane Elastique time-stretching engines in three flavours
  • Time Signature Changes
  • Expanded Device Views for several devices
  • Sampler overhaul, with added granular & wavetable modes
  • Program-wide MIDI channel support (see section below)
  • Note FX Layer, Channel Filter, Channel Map devices
  • ParSeq-8, Note Counter modulators
So perhaps check your facts before posting?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BWS vs Live aside, this is a nice and very welcome update; I paid the upgrade price for nested groups and the hope that they would deliver more useful stuff to me in the future and we're off to a good start with 10.1. Ableton have finally made good on many highly requested features in the Beta forum which is great and long may it continue.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 am BWS vs Live aside, this is a nice and very welcome update; I paid the upgrade price for nested groups and the hope that they would deliver more useful stuff to me in the future and we're off to a good start with 10.1. Ableton have finally made good on many highly requested features in the Beta forum which is great and long may it continue.
Pretty much this. :)
And I'm certain MPE is just around the corner.
It's literally the last big whine besides maybe Sampler improvements. ( eyeballing Bitwigs granular sampler with seething jealousy! :lol: )

antic604 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 am Between when Live 10 was announced and now, "we" got quite a few things as well and the upgrade cost - to get the ones in v2.4, last 4 bullets - was typically 3/5 of Live 10 upgrade cost.
The difference is that Live 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 until 10.99 will be free updates, even if it takes 5 years or more. If you want to keep Bitwig up-to-date over the same period you will pay a lot more than the Live 10 upgrade cost.

Reefius wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 amThe difference is that Live 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 until 10.99 will be free updates, even if it takes 5 years or more. If you want to keep Bitwig up-to-date over the same period you will pay a lot more than the Live 10 upgrade cost.
AND get a lot more in return. I'm fine with that.

Also, I think 5 years 9-10 was a flux due to Push 1/2 being released in that time and now we'll see more frequent updates, like all the other DAWs do. Unfortunately :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”