FL Studio 20.1 how to clone patterns on playlist???? loosing my mind

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am loosing my mind on something so simple that I cant believe it's this difficult.

Say I have two synth tracks on the playlist window Track 1 and Track 2

1) vst synth 1 is on track 1 and I have couple of notes

2) Then I insert a 2nd vst synth and want to copy / clone the notes from synth 1 to synth 2 and have the dam thing play the notes using the 2nd vist on track two. I want to layer the two track so two different synths are playing the same notes in LAYER.

With other DAWS you just drag the midi notes to other vst synth and it just works. Even when I right click and say make unique and past the midi I don't see the noes and only see it as Ghost notes.

Either I'm missing something or its just to hard to do something so simple.

Thanks

In pattern view right click synth 1 tab -> pianoroll and make your melodies.
Synth 2 tab -> pianoroll and make your melodies..

If you want them separately, make sure that synth 1 melody is on pattern 1 and synth 2 melody is on pattern 2 for example.

*edit*

Reading your text again.. Just use pattern view and in there, copy the melody from track 1 to track 2. In playlist view you just paint that pattern and it plays the same melody with both synths at the same time.

out of curiosity , were you using the ' optional workflow ' , as discussed
on the IL youTube video " What's new in FLS 20.1 " when you created the playlist instrument track ?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNH0EsyuXU&t=387s

Hi Distorted Horizon, I'm trying to avoid the whole pattern workflow. Main reason why i gave FL a try again because of the new workflow in 20.1

experimental.crow, I am trying to use that new workflow, but having a hard time coping a track to another track and editing the midi notes without effecting the original as described in my post.

joe2004 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 pm Hi Distorted Horizon, I'm trying to avoid the whole pattern workflow. Main reason why i gave FL a try again because of the new workflow in 20.1

experimental.crow, I am trying to use that new workflow, but having a hard time coping a track to another track and editing the midi notes without effecting the original as described in my post.
i normally do all my work in the channel rack , using FLS as a linear sequencer ...
just getting to know these new features myself ...
i'm getting familiar w/ them , and i'll be looking at your issue , as well as a few
other issues that i cannot predictably control ...

The workflow in 20.1 is still different from linear DAWs even with the changes. All it does is link the playlist track, the instrument in the channel rack, and the mixer channel, so that changes to one get propagated down the chain.
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... track-mode

Even if you have an "instrument track" in the playlist, linked to one specific VST, the patterns you drop on that lane could be triggering other VST's in the channel rack. It doesn't even have to trigger the actual VST that you linked to that playlist lane in the first place (though working like that would just complicate things needlessly).

For layering synths, you could just create one pattern which triggers several VST's, if you want. That way you won't clutter up the playlist with multiple lanes playing the same part. Or, you could create separate patterns for each instrument and put each pattern on its own playlist lane, kind of like how you would do it in other DAWs.

AdvancedFollower, thank you.

That video did the trick. FL is still not ready for linear workflow like other DAWS. Shame the 20.1 update was half baked. Hopefully they will fix it on the next release. I was loosing my mind all day yesterday lol.

1. The simplest way: use the channel rack, as experimental.crow said. Select the first channel, than Ctrl + C (copy), select the second channel with a new VSTi, Ctrl + V (paste).

2. How to copy a pattern in the playlist: Copy pattern on a new track (click pattern you want to copy, then click on an empty space within the playlist), from the menu of the created copy of this pattern select "Make unique". Now you can access this copy in the channel rack and on the left side of the playlist.

3. You can use MIDI out (an internal FLS plugin). Insert it on a new channel in the channel rack, add new notes, assign MIDI out to a MIDI port ("Port" in its settings) and your VST instruments to corresponding "Input port". Now you can use MIDI out channel to control all the assigned VSTi from a single piano roll. If you need to transpose one of instruments adjust it in the settings of this plugin (in this plugin itself or in the settings of the channel).

lobanov wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 pm 1. The simplest way: use the channel rack, as experimental.crow said. Select the first channel, than Ctrl + C (copy), select the second channel with a new VSTi, Ctrl + V (paste).

2. How to copy a pattern in the playlist: Copy pattern on a new track (click pattern you want to copy, then click on an empty space within the playlist), from the menu of the created copy of this pattern select "Make unique". Now you can access this copy in the channel rack and on the left side of the playlist.

3. You can use MIDI out (an internal FLS plugin). Insert it on a new channel in the channel rack, add new notes, assign MIDI out to a MIDI port ("Port" in its settings) and your VST instruments to corresponding "Input port". Now you can use MIDI out channel to control all the assigned VSTi from a single piano roll. If you need to transpose one of instruments adjust it in the settings of this plugin (in this plugin itself or in the settings of the channel).
^ this ...
numbers 1 and 3 encompass 80% of my workflow , in FLS ...
the balance being automation clips and/or event editing ...

i'm still intrigued by the ' optional workflow ' features , and am working on ways to
adapt this to my workflow ... i'm thinking improvements will follow ...
i found the admiral bumblebee link quite helpful , as well ...

lobanov wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 pm 1. The simplest way: use the channel rack, as experimental.crow said. Select the first channel, than Ctrl + C (copy), select the second channel with a new VSTi, Ctrl + V (paste).

so , here is a thing i'm trying to wrap my head around .

start from a new empty project , w/ the Pattern Selector set to Pattern 1 .
if you create an Instrument Track in the Playlist , as described in the ' optional workflow ' ,
it takes the spot formally held by Pattern 2 , in the Pattern Selector .
same for each Instrument Track you create in this manner ( next available Pattern ) .

oh man...! that MIDI out plugin, you just answered a question for me too, @lobanov :D Thanks!
I used to use it to control Linplug Element-P, but since then have kind of forgotten how useful it can be. Cheers for that.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

What I really wish is that there was a way to reassign the 'target channel' of a MIDI clip in the timeline. And even more-so, the target channel of an entire locked-to-source 'track' in the timeline window.... these are far-fetched, at the moment, and there are (as always) lots of work-arounds, but these are things I wish for.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

joe2004 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:31 pm I am loosing my mind on something so simple that I cant believe it's this difficult.

Say I have two synth tracks on the playlist window Track 1 and Track 2

1) vst synth 1 is on track 1 and I have couple of notes

2) Then I insert a 2nd vst synth and want to copy / clone the notes from synth 1 to synth 2 and have the dam thing play the notes using the 2nd vist on track two. I want to layer the two track so two different synths are playing the same notes in LAYER.

With other DAWS you just drag the midi notes to other vst synth and it just works. Even when I right click and say make unique and past the midi I don't see the noes and only see it as Ghost notes.

Either I'm missing something or its just to hard to do something so simple.

Thanks
:D FL works differently >> needs some filter group (for visual groupping), and a Layer device in it to able to route all the MIDIs to the instruments, all the instruments also have dedicated patterns so they can be used individually too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8O4kjaw-0U
hope it make sense
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:02 am :D FL works differently >> needs some filter group
No, what it needs is some macro that make a simple "Duplicate Tracks" action possible every "normal" DAW has...

All the needed commands for such a macro are there (clone generator, make unique for the pattern, link to new mixer channel, etc...) it only needs to put everything together...

This and the lack of realtime audio fades, which work on clip size level (not whole sample length) are still slowing me down in FLS compared to working in a linear DAW...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”