DAW with wait note recording

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm Logic will play, but only record MIDI when it’s input. As far as I know, there’s no “transport Wait until input” function. Alternatively, you could creat a midi shortcut and play that note when you want to start recording.
Thanks for your response. Jo did mention this ability in MuLab some time ago. But it's tedious keep changing the shortcut and disrupts the flow cos every time you want to record a VSTi, you have to change the shortcut!

I've decided to try Reaper, I've had a little play with it and it's not too difficult so far. Only thing I would really like is to permanently make Wait Note Script the default method for recording. Is that possible?

If that can't be done, can a button with the wait note functions be made for the Toolbar?

sl23 wrote: Thanks for your response. Jo did mention this ability in MuLab some time ago. But it's tedious keep changing the shortcut and disrupts the flow cos every time you want to record a VSTi, you have to change the shortcut!
Huh? MuLab shortcuts are global assignments and are not dependent on a VST or so. No need to change such shortcut all the time.

You do need to change it if that key is used in a riff or something. Using a key too far up or down the octave range is not an option for me due to only using 3 octave keyboard. I expect you'll say use the pc keyboard? But then it becomes cumbersome to try press little key on another device timing it to record as you are about to play. Believe me, this is nowhere near a substitute for wait note.

What about getting a bigger keyboard?

Haha! Even if I wanted a bigger keyboard, which I don't, I just don't have space for one. So not an option. Not everyone has space for large keyboards. Trust me, if there were any way around it, I'd do it. I don't want a big cumbersome keyboard that will get in my way just for a single purpose of a shortcut. It just doesn't warrant the purchase or inconvenience.

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm Logic will play, but only record MIDI when it’s input. As far as I know, there’s no “transport Wait until input” function. Alternatively, you could creat a midi shortcut and play that note when you want to start recording.
I also prefer to use this method to record midi input. But I'm finding the Mulab current method a little cumbersome to work with. It would be nice to have this wait input method added but I imagine there are more important features to add. Shame for those that like it.

Mulab is a nice and easy to learn and use DAW. The latest update is good! The developer needs a lot of praise for his great achievement in my opinion!
Last edited by freddo on Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
:hihi: :lol:

sl23 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am Haha! Even if I wanted a bigger keyboard, which I don't, I just don't have space for one. So not an option. Not everyone has space for large keyboards. Trust me, if there were any way around it, I'd do it. I don't want a big cumbersome keyboard that will get in my way just for a single purpose of a shortcut. It just doesn't warrant the purchase or inconvenience.
Hi s123
I know what you mean about large keyboards! I use a mini nova as a controller. Nice and small with lots of knob control although it means you keep switching the knob functions it's a good bit of kit imho :)

Thanks. Tbh I really want the function as MuLab is the best! Tried others but it really is just so easy to use!

Maybe Jo will add it one day? I really hope so!

I also use a MiniNova so I know it's good. But thanks for the tip! ;)

I believe you can pull this off in both Ableton and Logic. Its called Midi Capture, it might not be exactly the same as "wait for note" recording but seems to achieve the same thing. Hope this helps! Good Luck

Deleted

Gosh, I remember this from the old days, but I can't remember the program. I mean really old, like 80's, 90's. I think it's a feature that just generally went out of style as I can't think of any that do that. Just like MuLab. Logic creates the clips from where you start playing, but that's all I can think of.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”