Digital Performer 10 is now Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digital Performer Live

DonDiablo324jrhthdhe wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 am Please tell me what else there are programs for live performances, except for Ableton, Bitwig and DP9.
depend on your needs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjm0Q1oaQ20

but I would open a new topic ...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Can you record audio or midi directly into each clip?

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

memyselfandus wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:22 pm Can you record audio or midi directly into each clip?
Looks like no

pdxindy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:03 pm
memyselfandus wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:22 pm Can you record audio or midi directly into each clip?
Looks like no
About to download, but my guess is also no. Since all the demos talk about copying recorded audio and MIDI into a Clip from the timeline. IMO if you're a hardcore Live user it's not replacing Live anytime soon, but it adds a lot of Session View type functionality to the more mature and leaner CPU wise DP.

I'll report back in a couple hours! :)

Thank you!

Wasn't as good as I was hoping. Too much legacy app for me to catch up on. That marketing glam was great tho. Cheers

Ellen Ripley said she will be sticking with Ableton thanks,

https://youtu.be/Q4QY5Z8LBEo

sufista wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:43 am Wasn't as good as I was hoping. Too much legacy app for me to catch up on. That marketing glam was great tho. Cheers
Also, unless I’m mistaken you can’t record the clip performance back into the timeline.

memyselfandus wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 pm Thank you!
Getting back to this.
Clips:
So far it's all about copy pasting to get sections of MIDI or audio into a clip, or drag and drop from the new browser. The ability to record your performance is missing as of now, it will be added in a future update to DP10, I called tech support to ask about this. In the mean time you can route all your tracks to busses to record a performance. Quantize is global, editing in the subwindow is good. I would like to see individual clip quantize added as well, otherwise it's a nice addition, but it's not replacing Live anytime soon. Another hope against hope, AKAI with their new Force are allowing you to export .als type Ableton project files, so if you have only audio clips printed with their plug ins etc. then you can import the entire Set into Ableton Live. It would be great if Clips in DP did this as well.

It's pretty bizarre that both AKAI and MOTU released Live/Bitwig like devices, features, without the ability to record the performances into a song! :lol: Both companies say that the feature will be added in though.

auricle wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 am
sufista wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:43 am Wasn't as good as I was hoping. Too much legacy app for me to catch up on. That marketing glam was great tho. Cheers
Also, unless I’m mistaken you can’t record the clip performance back into the timeline.
I have no idea dude, was my first and most likely my last time trying Digital Performer :?

sufista wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:50 am
I have no idea dude, was my first and most likely my last time trying Digital Performer :?
Yeah, Digital Performer certainly does have it's way of doing things. It does have some very powerful features, though but it's not like most of the other DAWs.

auricle wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:21 am
sufista wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:50 am
Yeah, Digital Performer certainly does have it's way of doing things. It does have some very powerful features, though but it's not like most of the other DAWs.
DP is like Reaper in the sense that it brings ideas to the table that are useful but not intuitive. Unlike Reaper you can't spent days modifying it to behave like the DAW you're used to.

I'm a fan, I admit it's a weird DAW, and it has some ideas that the others simply don't do, not even Reaper can be modified to behave exactly like DP.

Before Clips even, DP shared this notion of parts of songs as Chunks, but just to confuse everyone, a Chunk can be an entire song, the MIDI and Audio only, a rack of virtual instruments, a composing area for Sequence Chunks as a "Song Chunk" etc. etc.
Because a Chunk can be an entire Song, or parts of a song or... the V-Rack Chunk was implemented, VSTi/AUi's and Aux's etc. can live outside of a Sequence so you can quickly switch between sequences without waiting on VSTs to load etc. Because of this, VSTi and AUi tracks in DP do not do MIDI. Everyone gets hung up on this who comes from other DAWs, but other DAWs don't deal with multiple possible timelines the way DP does.
Anyway it's another great DAW for people who think in non linear terms, or who work in film with 90 minutes to edit, jump in and out of. The idea that it's because of legacy app features that it's hard to grasp at first is wrong though, name a DAW that ever operated like DP? Whose legacy? :lol:

Are pip’s (project in project) in Reaper essentially the same thing as chunks in DP?

memyselfandus wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:04 pm Are pip’s (project in project) in Reaper essentially the same thing as chunks in DP?
No, Sub Projects in Reaper are cool though, and serve similar purposes, sort of...

I think the best way to understand Chunks is to think of them as their different parts. Chunks contain Sequences, V-Racks and Songs. Like Sub Projects in Reaper a Sequence can be an entire song, but in DP Chunks don't have to be rendered. Because of this V-Racks come in to make it possible to use the same set of instruments in multiple Sequences without having to wait at all to switch between them. You could do a similar thing to Reaper in that you could have all the instruments in the same Sequence as the MIDI etc. then freeze that sequence and use it in a Song etc. I mean essentially what Reaper is doing is a quick render that's reversible, whereas in DP personally if I was looking for the same functionality I would render a Sequence and use it as a reference in the new sequence. Sequence Chunks don't take any CPU at all sitting in the project if they're not open.
One big advantage of Chunks over Sub Projects is it's possible to work entirely in MIDI and recorded audio, which allows you to use them at will as building blocks, so start a song with a main part, copy it to a new Chunk, change it, make a new Chunk that's the chorus, and you have a sort of similar thing to Scenes in Live. You can drag and drop these into each other, play them one after each other etc. or use the Song window to arrange them on a timeline.

I don't know what MOTU has planned for Clips beyond that they're definitely not finished with it? but I hope there's some though put into Chunks and the Song Window and how these should all interact.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”