Digital Performer 10 is now Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digital Performer Live

Just by curiosity, will launchpad work on DP10 for clip launching/recording?

pc999 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:41 am Just by curiosity, will launchpad work on DP10 for clip launching/recording?
Out of the door it's looking like you can use devices like this as regular MIDI controllers assigning pads to trigger clips etc. like they show in the DP10 presentation videos.

What I hope for, that may or may not happen, is for AKAI and Novations and MOTU to all get it right and get their Live control surfaces like the Launchpad and APC40 to work like they do in Live with colored lights responding to clips etc.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:16 am
What I hope for, that may or may not happen, is for AKAI and Novations and MOTU to all get it right and get their Live control surfaces like the Launchpad and APC40 to work like they do in Live with colored lights responding to clips etc.
Thats what I mean, if they do not have out of the box integration with those it is really a hard sell IMO.

pc999 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:20 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:16 am
Thats what I mean, if they do not have out of the box integration with those it is really a hard sell IMO.
I don't know about that. Bitwig didn't work with Push for instance until an end user designed a control surface for it. I mean I get what you're saying, but I would be shocked if out of the door MOTU had all these partnerships in place, and all Live compatible control surfaces worked just like in Live.
I wouldn't expect that DP grafted full Session View functionality onto their Clips window, I'm sure it's perfectly usable, but end users expecting it to hand Bitwig and Live their walking papers are probably going to be disappointed.

Owning Live and Push 2, all I'm expecting is when I'm starting a song in DP, I can have some of the joy of using Session view in DP. If it turns out to be well designed, more enjoyable in some ways than Ableton Live etc. then I'll start my serious requests for a total Bitwig/Live experience.

I'm more than likely getting it as soon as it's released, so I can let you all know how the experience compares, being both a long time Live and DP user.

Interesting! I record at a local studio that uses DP, the owner does a ton of film scoring and loves it. I demo'd last year and was somewhat intrigued but the fonts were just way too small and un-scaleable. Good to know they've addressed that and introduced a Session view...as others note, they really need plug & play with all popular Ableton controllers for this to really work.

On the minus side, the MOTUNation site is consistently the douchiest music forum I've found, which is really saying something!

Ouch! :lol: Motunation is not in any way affiliated with MOTU though, it's a fan site. That should be pointed out. Representatives hang out as much at Gearslutz and on the facebook group. More actually.

Company run sites are rough, not surprised MOTU don't run one. Ableton used to be a free for all, now it's sterile. It's just a weird balancing act. Bitwig could probably tell you about that, or Cockos. Especially Cockos! considering how rabid Reaper fans get! :hihi:

Have not touched DP since V5 but this looks like a neat update. Also clip launching with cues seems like a good idea.

At first i thought its a skin for Ableton Live 10. It looks like Logic blend with Ableton.

Yeah they totally bit Ableton Live.

Ableton Performer

Live was not the first DAW to use the clips/launch deal. That goes back to the Atari ST and Real Time.

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:34 pm At first i thought its a skin for Ableton Live 10. It looks like Logic blend with Ableton.
Yeah I would almost bet that the rest follow suite now.
I recall Logic years ago having Touch Tracks for MIDI anyway that was somewhat similar.

Very happy to see this!

Please tell me what else there are programs for live performances, except for Ableton, Bitwig and DP9.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”