Digital Performer 10 is now Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digital Performer Live

kelldammit wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 pm it's still my favorite midi editor, but they really seemed to have addressed some longstanding requests this time around. i'm pretty jazzed about relative/absolute grid, and the nicer event timestretching of individual beats, in particular.
vst3 support is nice, too.
faster than realtime freeze (i never understood why it was realtime, either), and maybe a schnazzy cubase/s1-ish export dialog would be about all i'd really love to see beyond that.
For me I would have liked MPE support, but I can't be unhappy considering all the stuff I wanted this is getting. I'm hoping the browser and search improvements are used in areas like replace/find Soundbites etc. The search and fire function for keyboard commands is brilliant.

Rendering options, MOTU should look at Reaper, I learned how to use that DAW and bought it as soon as I saw the rendering options. IMO best part of Reaper, no contest.

The resizable interface is huge. I own a Slate Raven and the floating mixer "almost' works in conjunction with FX slots, automation etc. in DP's mixer to make a perfect touch interface, but the GUI in DP is too small. This is going to work out better for DP users than Pro Tools and Logic's weird GUI skeletons to get multi touch going properly on the mixers. Unless MOTU drop the ball and it scales coarsely, missing the Reaper floating mixers pixel width! :scared:

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 pm Rendering options, MOTU should look at Reaper, I learned how to use that DAW and bought it as soon as I saw the rendering options. IMO best part of Reaper, no contest.
hehe, i haven't used reaper in a few versions now, but i remember it being pretty slick for most stuff. i mostly go back and forth between DP and Cubase these days, so as long as multiple output channels (tracks and/or busses) could be selected for one-pass stem rendering (so each selected channel out=its own exported track), i'd be a happy camper!
The resizable interface is huge. I own a Slate Raven and the floating mixer "almost' works in conjunction with FX slots, automation etc. in DP's mixer to make a perfect touch interface, but the GUI in DP is too small. This is going to work out better for DP users than Pro Tools and Logic's weird GUI skeletons to get multi touch going properly on the mixers. Unless MOTU drop the ball and it scales coarsely, missing the Reaper floating mixers pixel width! :scared:
that makes sense, especially with a raven. i mostly just use a 17" laptop, and would love an option for taller channel faders/meters (ideally with numeric peak value displays). depending on how it was done, i could imagine that working nicely for something like a raven, too...
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

kelldammit wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 pm hehe, i haven't used reaper in a few versions now, but i remember it being pretty slick for most stuff. i mostly go back and forth between DP and Cubase these days, so as long as multiple output channels (tracks and/or busses) could be selected for one-pass stem rendering (so each selected channel out=its own exported track), i'd be a happy camper!
Agreed, but I love that in Reaper you can rename the stems before you create them, tagging them in various ways, it's brilliant. Best of the best IMO. DP's lack of track rendering has led me to use Freeze tracks and exporting to achieve more or less the same thing, that and MPE are the two biggest requests I had, but what they added actually outweighs that.
kelldammit wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 pmthat makes sense, especially with a raven. i mostly just use a 17" laptop, and would love an option for taller channel faders/meters (ideally with numeric peak value displays). depending on how it was done, i could imagine that working nicely for something like a raven, too...
Best of the best for touch screens with no need for a Raven would be MPC2 software and Reaper again, click drag resizable faders. :clap:

It doesn't look like any love was put into the faders, well except the resizable interface, which I hope is per screen, not project wide, I work with two screens most of the time, and the Tracks window is Fine, the Mixer is the main window that desperately needs to get bigger IMO.

Been using DP since version 3 but in the last couple of years began to migrate to Bitwig.
To be honest I would have eaten my hat if I had to try and guess Motu would do this. Crikey. DP gets contemporary.. I don’t know what to think or do :?

pinki wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:13 pm Been using DP since version 3 but in the last couple of years began to migrate to Bitwig.
To be honest I would have eaten my hat if I had to try and guess Motu would do this. Crikey. DP gets contemporary.. I don’t know what to think or do :?
I was pretty shocked too. A lot of the old school users I know are flummoxed! :lol:

IMO anyway I think it's a fantastic move. I'm always torn between Live and DAWs like DP and Reaper etc. that have massive amounts of old school features. For instance it's way more of a PITA to set up an MPE instrument in Live than DP, because DP has the Create Tracks window, it's like 30 seconds etc. like someone mentioned when I was whinging about this. :lol:

https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util
MIDI Remote Script ("Control Surface") for Ableton Live 9/10, adding MPE-utilities such as:

Automated creation and setup of channel tracks for MPE MIDI input device
MPE channel track properties (e.g. arm and firing of clips) follow input of their instrument track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0kUVCfxo0

:o
Last edited by machinesworking on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

8)

pottering wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:56 am https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util

MIDI Remote Script ("Control Surface") for Ableton Live 9/10, adding MPE-utilities such as:

Automated creation and setup of channel tracks for MPE MIDI input device
MPE channel track properties (e.g. arm and firing of clips) follow input of their instrument track
Yeah thanks for reminding! :)
I'm glad someone wrote some code for that.
Sometimes it's nice to not have to rely on script kids though. :?

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:40 am I was pretty shocked too. A lot of the old school users I know are flummoxed! :lol:

IMO anyway I think it's a fantastic move. I'm always torn between Live and DAWs like DP and Reaper etc. that have massive amounts of old school features. For instance it's way more of a PITA to set up an MPE instrument in Live than DP, because DP has the Create Tracks window, it's like 30 seconds etc. like someone mentioned when I was whinging about this. :lol:
I have the same dilemma. I mean doing complex time line stuff means DP every time. DP has what..a 25 year lineage that it's consistently and solidly built on. There are some things it does that smokes Live/Bitwig, but of course the number of things becomes less and less every year.

So DP doing this maybe makes sense.

Does anybody have any experience in regards to grace period with MOTU?

I still have a v9 wrapped and unregistered because I kind of anticipated a new major announcement for this NAMM.

I didn't get along with the workflow in previous versions, but this looks more approachable in some regards.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

In my opinion, you register your version 9 of Digital Performer and thus, you will have access to version 10, at the price of the update.

In addition, to be certain, you can access the demo version of D.P. 10, when available, before you decide.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.7.2 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

Does anyone know if clips are meant for live use only, or can a clip performance be recorded into a linear arrangement?

auricle wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:34 pm Does anyone know if clips are meant for live use only, or can a clip performance be recorded into a linear arrangement?
I would guess that they would have to be able to. Even Reaper with it's script kid hacks to get something like this allows you to record to the timeline. It's coming out in the next couple weeks so we should know soon enough how it behaves. :)

geronimo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:13 pm In my opinion, you register your version 9 of Digital Performer and thus, you will have access to version 10, at the price of the update.
That’s my hope, at least.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”