What's a good DAW to switch to from Cakewalk?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So to summarize we have:
1. pretty much every commercially available DAW is good to switch to depending on one's preferred way of working, or they may suck.
2. Cakewalk Sonar has always sucked and always will suck.
3. Cakewalk Sonar has always been good and is currently being updated with lots of bug fixes.
/s

And it's all true! :o :help:

Zombie Queen wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 pm And it's all true! :o :help:
"So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." --Obi-Wan Kenobi

There were threads on the old cake boards about this when Gibson ended CW. Studio One seemed to be the most popular. Mixcraft seemed to pull more than one might have expected. MAGIX got a lot of interest as well.

Of course some of this may have been swayed by crossgrade deals available at the time.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

mumpcake wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:58 pm There were threads on the old cake boards about this when Gibson ended CW. Studio One seemed to be the most popular. Mixcraft seemed to pull more than one might have expected. MAGIX got a lot of interest as well.

Of course some of this may have been swayed by crossgrade deals available at the time.
I recall there being discussion about this in the past, but we have updated versions of daw's now of which I want opinions based on the updates.

Between studio one 4 and cubase pro 10, what makes cubase have better midi and what has better included instruments and sounds?

Cubase fully supports MPE, Studio One 4 does not. You'll have a workaround (it doesn't do 'All' for a MIDI track's input). That's not meaningful for everyone but one deal-killer for me. For instance, my controller is seen as a Note Expression device with specific setup criteria, eg., 0, Center, or Full for CC 74 Timbre control. And here Padshop has MPE instruments in it.

I don't think Studio One has a Logical Editor. I don't know that much about its MIDI but the first thing is factual.

mumpcake wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:58 pm Mixcraft seemed to pull more than one might have expected.
Here's a review of Mixcraft in Tape-Op from a long time Calkwalk user:
https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/124/mixcraft-8-daw/

I had used Sonar since v2.2. When Gibson announced they were closing Cakewalk I mainly looked at Cubase and Studio One v3 but didn't really feel like paying that much even with the crossgrade discounts. I looked at Traction Waveform 8 and they were doing a half of sale for Thanksgiving $50. I demoed it and at first I had a big problem with the layout since it was so different but really liked everything else about it. v9 added some cool stuff and soon to be released v10 looks like it's adding more useful things like track grouping (I missed that from Sonar, and groove quantizing of audio). My problems with it are:
1 It adheres strictly to the official VST standard and plugins that play fast and lose with it cause problems. V10 will include plugval to help with reporting problem plugins.
2 Sometimes I use REX files and it seems to play well with them, previews in sync, drag and drop to arrangement from browser, everything good until I open a previously saved song and randomly some REX files are listed as cannot load file. Tracktion says they know of this but wasn't something on the immediate to do list.

During the Xmas half of sale I got Studio One Pro v4 for $177 with JRR discount. I'll use it as a second DAW to Waveform.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 am Cubase fully supports MPE, Studio One 4 does not. You'll have a workaround (it doesn't do 'All' for a MIDI track's input). That's not meaningful for everyone but one deal-killer for me. For instance, my controller is seen as a Note Expression device with specific setup criteria, eg., 0, Center, or Full for CC 74 Timbre control. And here Padshop has MPE instruments in it.

I don't think Studio One has a Logical Editor. I don't know that much about its MIDI but the first thing is factual.
Besides the Roli boards, what other midi keyboards and devices use MPE?

The Linnstrument and the Haken Continuum. The latter is the first I heard about it but it's a lot of money. I bought the ROLI Seaboard Block, 24 keys, for $299. It actually performs the glide, like a fretless horizontal pitch bend more smoothly than their Rise, reportedly. I've only used it on their Equator instrument, which is fantastic, so far. But there are MPE patches for the bundled Padshop it looks like. I downloaded and installed those type of things (fortunately keeping the installer, because it's an absurd download size) but did not install most of the content with Cubase 10.

I think Cubase will be a smart move.
:phones: Music Loops - ProducerSpot.com

Aloysius wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:15 pm What's a good DAW to switch from to Cakewalk?
I pondered on this a long time ... :party:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

To which conclusion did you come? :)

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:05 pm To which conclusion did you come? :)
I'm still debating between studio one 4 pro and cubase 10 pro. Leaning more towards cubase. I'm gonna try both of them out in the next few days.

Both good choices as far as i'm concerned. :tu: Those two are my favorite DAW's.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”