Samplitude Pro X4

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.magix.com/gb/music/samplitude/suite/

What are they smoking over there in Berlin?

There's barely anything new and they are asking 200€ for the upgrade from X3 Suite to X4 Suite...

seem like they're learning from Izotope.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

it is as underwhelming as their soundforge and Acid releases.
mainly rebranding it seems.
maybe we have reached a form of singularity here. perhaps they cannot find any way to develop innovative features and functions.
whatever it is SAM upgrade is certainly not worth the asking price.
i will never understand the SAM developers. it is an awseome DAW in may respects but the last 2 or 3 versions have been just treading water. maybe of they reinvented the GUI, incorporated Bezier curves and or automation clips...
which reaper now has and they are really powerful ... in fact reaper are setting the pace, leaving them in the dust. it's a shame but hey, who knows what they are thinking in their Berlin offices : )

Funny reaper is mentioned cause the way I see it, the development mentality became similar.

Updates; I don't remember such frequent and good update period of samp. than x3. Likely will happen with x4 too.
New features; I made a search on what happened when V3 and v4 came out on reaper, doesn't look so exciting either (depending on expectations).

jens wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:52 pm https://www.magix.com/gb/music/samplitude/suite/

There's barely anything new and they are asking 200€ for the upgrade from X3 Suite to X4 Suite...

Their upgrade pricing has traditionally been on the steep side :?
It's the very reason that I dumped Samp after V10 and jumped to Studio One.
I've never looked back since.

Wait few months or next christmas and you will get Sam prox 4 suite with lots of goodies for 129$as they did for prox3...

jens wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:52 pm https://www.magix.com/gb/music/samplitude/suite/

I think Izotope learned from Magix.
I've been using Samplitude for a little over 10 years ( think I started with version 8 ) and there’s been many a complaint about upgrade pricing in the Samplitude forums when a new version is released.
People tend to skip a version or 2 when there is nothing worth upgrading for. After Pro X3 there’s not much left to add imho.

They recently made a user-survey where they asked about what to improve and stuff and showed the new V4 GUI and asked for opinions about it. I am pretty sure that this was just shady marketing because it came much too late in the development cycle: Had they really be interested in opinions they would have asked much earlier. Nonetheless I took it serious and wrote something along the lines of not really seeing an improvement and that the GUI was still far too crowded and messy even though it would direly need an overhaul and so forth. For instance there's all these 3d elements that make things worse instead of improving it.

So (all imo, of course):
until they really re-work the GUI Samplitude won't be able to increase it's market-share (or perhaps even be able to keep it). If there was really nothing left to add (which I am not sure I'd agree with) they could concentrate on that. But it seems their developers work on other products these days.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

How did you get the survey jens ?
I never saw that.

They sent an e-mail (which was in German though and the survey was as well iIrc - dunno whether there was an English version too) - this was the link for it:

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4644564/ ... -Pro-X4-DE

edit: apparently there wasn't because when you replace the DE at the end with en you get a "survey not found"-error)
Last edited by jens on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That has got to be the most pathetic upgrade, especially considering the price, I have seen in a DAW. What a con.

This.

Definitely a big disappointment, unless you have a 32 core CPU.. don't know how to organise your VST folders and the new Automation_lanes fall well short of what Reaper now offers.. oh and not even SF_12 in the suite>> pffffffffffff.
PASS!

I made the mistake of getting the Samplitude Pro X4 on $149 subscription plan, on Wednesday. I spent 10 hours dealing with GUI issues, audio issues, things just being glitchy, and crashes. Thursday night I sent an email asking for at least a partial refund, knowing there will be penalties and fees for canceling the “contract”. The demo acted strange, but I thought the full product/content would be more like a “Pro level” audio software. My mistake.

i use Reason on the same computer without any issues. I have not seen so many bugs, work arounds and crashes since I tried N-track amout 15 years ago. As I expected there has been no response to my email. I love Reason, but was looking for something different to use sometimes just to shake things up. Again, my error. I’m used to Reason, where I can focus on music and not on being a computer tech. I spent some hours today actually making music, in Reason. I wish Samp was a good fit for me as the included content is nice. Really like Independence.

Update: They have responded and said I should have a refund in a few days. I may not get along with rheir software, but Magix have shown me they are a responsible company. I would not hesitate to order from them again.
Last edited by Dewaine on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

I am pretty sure (after looking at their X4 presentation for a couple of minutes) that there's no permanent dedicated Samplitude development team anymore. I would love to be wrong on this.

First off Magix has like 3 different DAWs in active development which is just ridiculous. They need to combine them.
Samplitudes page in big letters says "The complete all in one professional recording and audio editing DAW...Now with Sound Forge included." LOL WTF! If it was so complete why would you need to include SoundForge? If anything they need to include Music Maker because audio editing isn't the issue with Samplituded it's sequencing music easily which is.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”