Considering buying an older version of Reason (questions).

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I started looking around for an older version, what may be the most recent one that was still the super cpu efficient soft it used to be (plus, no dongle)?
I'm imagining version 5, but perhaps those better informed could advise.

I don't need it as fully-featured as it is of late, as my main DAW is Reaper. I just really miss it. :)
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

I think version 5 started using the dongle (along with internet authorization), before that it was simple c/r. By the way, the latest versions can be authorized to disk, so the dongle is not compulsory.

Anyway, version 5 was not able to record audio, you had a separate software called Record which was introduced at that time (Reason 4 couldn't record audio). I think it was with Reason 6 that Record was merged into Reason. Rack extensions started with Reason 5 or 6 (I don't remember, I don't buy each new release of Reason because it's not my main daw).

Then there's OS/architecture support which needs to be taken into account. I don't remember when Reason started supporting 64 bit, but I think it was with version 5 or 6 (probably 6). If you want to rewire it to a 64 bit daw, this is really important. OS support is also as much as important, because older versions are not supported on recent operating systems (so you may experience bugs, at best, or even be unable to run the software).

I think it's worth checking your setup for these constraints, because they may limit the range of versions avaible for your choice.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Reason 5 didn't come with a dongle, just online registration, but Record 1.0 did and that was the first version that you could link to version 4 which gave the audio recording functionality. Because Record was both a separate program and one that could merge with Reason, one only needed to upgrade Reason to version 5 which was of course compatible. Reason 5 didn't have audio recording stand alone. It was a free upgrade for users of Record & Reason 5 (or Reason Duo as they called it) and those within a grace period to version 6. And with that, what was later revealed, when Rack Extensions came out, that two of the devices they introduced in version 6, were just that, Alligator was one of them... The dongle was then required from version 6... but you had options such as online connection and another method of a computer registering lock (for offline usage) besides the dongle. Performance wise, there wasn't much difference between 5 to 7 of the DAW itself. You will have a hard time tying to find a legit version 5 of Reason though, because well..you can upgrade from any version to the latest.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Version 5 doesn't require anything other than the CD. Reason 6/Record is when the dongle entered the picture. I like Reason 5 and I used to install it on my work laptops when I was traveling. I don't really have a need for it anymore, but I still have it and I have no interest in selling it. Version 5 also introduced blocks so it's a fun and lightweight self-contained and stable package that works well as a sketchpad for ideas.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”