bitwig 2.5 ? released ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:32 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:30 pm Oh come on. Ctrl+G the track you want to freeze, select appropriate time range in the Group Track (using '2' Time Selection tool), right-click "bounce in place", Alt+A on the original track to disable it completely. Done.
Versus right-click, freeze. Which is faster and keeps your project organized better?
Ok, maybe Live's way is a bit faster, but Bitwig's is way more flexible:
- you can have multiple tracks in the Group Track
- you can freeze with different parameters at different regions of the track (and re-freeze sections, at will)
- you can move some of the effects to Group Track and still modulate them live
^^^ + bouncing out meta clips (container clips on group tracks) creates standard clips on the group track which blocks the sent signal from the grouped tracks
selecting all the metas on a group track and bouncing them is a simple ctrl+a ctrl+b
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Like Bitwigs way better:

- No way to easily bounce just a clip in Ableton
- No group freezing
- No sidechaining allowed, because Live is too silly to listen to other tracks while freezing
- Slow as hell in a crowded project because everything else is running in backround too

xbitz wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:48 pmImage
selecting all the metas on a group track and bouncing them is a simple ctrl+a ctrl+b
Exactly, although I prefer bouncing time instead of clips, because if you have time-based FX (like reverb, delay, etc.) they'll be cut at clip's border if you bounce clips, but won't if you bounce time :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The freeze argument is like a lot of 'features' in bitwig, it does things differently, it takes a different approach to audio routing, modulation etc. When people take a quick look it can look like things are misusing or deficient in some way, when in a lot of cases BWS has perhaps a more elegant or more flexible method of doing things that are just 'different' to the way other DAWS work. Doesn't mean you will like it, but you can be pretty sure there I a reason for it!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 am The freeze argument is like a lot of 'features' in bitwig, it does things differently, it takes a different approach to audio routing, modulation etc. When people take a quick look it can look like things are misusing or deficient in some way, when in a lot of cases BWS has perhaps a more elegant or more flexible method of doing things that are just 'different' to the way other DAWS work. Doesn't mean you will like it, but you can be pretty sure there I a reason for it!
Second that.
Audio editing in Bitwig with its own nondestructive approach is a good example...
... Audioevents within clips, bounce/bounce-in-place vs freeze, etc.
Baphometrix' rather long video about audio editing in Bitwig illustrates these aspects very well.

Regards,
tl.

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 pm Ok, maybe Live's way is a bit faster, but Bitwig's is way more flexible:
- you can freeze with different parameters at different regions of the track (and re-freeze sections, at will)
Ok, I'm tracking better with you now (no pun intended). Thanks!

I misunderstood what you meant because it never occurred to me to use groups for a single track. Also, I did not realize that it was possible to bounce a group clip while leaving the original clip intact. Thanks for sticking with the point. I do like this better. Also, you can collapse the group to keep things organized, so there's that objection answered.

So in playing around with this, there's a really serious bug in 2.4.3 when bouncing a clip on the group track: Random audio drop outs.

If I bounce in place on the instrument track, it always renders correctly. But on the group track, the rendered audio has drop-outs. On successive attempts to render the same group clip, the drop out occurs at a different spot. You can see it in the waveform. It just goes dead for like a second, and then comes back.
Last edited by teilo on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teilo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:04 pm So in playing around with this, there's a really serious bug in 2.4.3 when bouncing a clip on the group track: Random audio drop outs.

If I bounce in place on the instrument track, it always renders correctly. But on the group track, the rendered audio has drop-outs. On successive attempts to render the same group clip, the drop out occurs at a different spot. You can see it in the waveform. It just goes dead for like a second, and then comes back.
that's a bad one... obviously, send bitwig a bug report support@bitwig.com

Here's a video showing the problem: https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/mwdie ... 0group.mov

teilo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:08 pm Here's a video showing the problem: https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/mwdie ... 0group.mov
EDIT: Damn it. It was iZotope Ozone Imager. It wasn't licensed. I activated it and now its fine.

teilo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:57 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 pm Ok, maybe Live's way is a bit faster, but Bitwig's is way more flexible:
Ok, I'm tracking better with you now (no pun intended). Thanks!

I misunderstood what you meant because it never occurred to me to use groups for a single track. Also, I did not realize that it was possible to bounce a group clip while leaving the original clip intact. Thanks for sticking with the point. I do like this better. Also, you can collapse the group to keep things organized, so there's that objection answered.
Happy to help! :tu:
Music tech enthusiast

teilo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:14 pm
teilo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:08 pm Here's a video showing the problem: https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/mwdie ... 0group.mov
EDIT: Damn it. It was iZotope Ozone Imager. It wasn't licensed. I activated it and now its fine.
whew... :tu:

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:19 am
xbitz wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:48 pmImage
Exactly, although I prefer bouncing time instead of clips, because if you have time-based FX (like reverb, delay, etc.) they'll be cut at clip's border if you bounce clips, but won't if you bounce time :)
have had to think on it and as I see for practical consideration when multi layers and local sends are used creating two groups in each other and using the outer for effects is the best for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwcn7e-WTc
in this case the whole structure can be closed and effects are still remain controllable from the outer group
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 amin this case the whole structure can be closed and effects are still remain controllable from the outer group
Sure, but if reverb or delay is the CPU hungry VST you want to print to audio then bouncing time-selection instead of clip is the right approach.
Music tech enthusiast

Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.5, Beta 2

IMPROVEMENTS
The states of Browser panels are saved for projects and templates
Expanded Browser folders are remembered
Better categorization of actions in the shortcuts editor
Shift-clicking a group track's folder icon will expand or collapse all folders at the same level
Sets VST3 channel information (helps handle how certain plug-ins functions)

FIXES
Consolidate now continues clipped notes when there are notes on other keys/channels

REGRESSION FIXES
Bit-8 device: was only outputting one channel when width was set to 100%
Reversed raw audio events might get shifted when resizing left clip boundary
Mouse interaction for creating new fades on audio clips/events was obscured

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”