PRODUCTS

https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_5.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsUIUYTANO8

Clip blocks
Audio slide
New device: Note FX selector
Better finding, zippier interface
New sound content: Analog Waves
Last edited by xbitz on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

STOP PRESS

A DAW Company has read a user forum and delivered what people asked for!

END
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Not nearly as much here as in the other 2.x point releases, but some welcome changes.

Things I still am hoping for:
* A freeze feature that works like Ableton's to make it easier to work on very complex projects, but supporting both whole tracks, and individual MIDI clips.
* AU support
* A redone drum rack that allows multiple pads to target arbitrary notes on a single plugin instance. And ideally done in such a way that is way simpler than Ableton's clunky method.

teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 pm Things I still am hoping for:
* A freeze feature that works like Ableton's to make it easier to work on very complex projects, but supporting both whole tracks, and individual MIDI clips.
Oh come on. Ctrl+G the track you want to freeze, select appropriate time range in the Group Track (using '2' Time Selection tool), right-click "bounce in place", Alt+A on the original track to disable it completely. Done.

If you want to freeze individual clip then just drag it somewhere while holding Alt. Bitwig will bounce it in place on the fly, so that you can put the resulting audio file anywhere, including Bitwig's own Sampler.
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:30 pm If you want to freeze individual clips then just click & hold it and drag it somewhere while holding Alt - Bitwig will bounce it in place on the fly, so that you can put the resulting audio file anywhere, including Bitwig's sampler.
That's my workflow, I cant think of anything quicker!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 pm * AU support
Won't happen, as AUs do not work on PC and Linux
teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 pm * A redone drum rack that allows multiple pads to target arbitrary notes on a single plugin instance
What does that even mean? Can you give an example of a use case?
Music tech enthusiast

SLiC wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:45 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:30 pm If you want to freeze individual clips then just click & hold it and drag it somewhere while holding Alt - Bitwig will bounce it in place on the fly, so that you can put the resulting audio file anywhere, including Bitwig's sampler.
That's faster than right-click, freeze? The point of freezing is to be able to unfreeze. Yes, you can work around this by littering your project with copied but disabled tracks. But it's neither faster nor elegant. Fine for small to mid-size project. But a real pain for projects with many tracks.
Last edited by teilo on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:51 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 pm * AU support
Won't happen, as AUs do not work on PC and Linux
That's a non sequitur. Bitwig has gone on record saying they would consider it. I mean, come on. Reaper supports AU and it is also Mac/Windows/Linux.
teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 pm * A redone drum rack that allows multiple pads to target arbitrary notes on a single plugin instance
What does that even mean? Can you give an example of a use case?
In Drum Machine, every note must target a completely separate instrument, and you cannot change the note that the pad fires. That's fine for the built-in sampler, but consider a large Kontakt drum set. You aren't going to load 16 separate instances due to the CPU and memory hit, and even if you did, you can't target a specific pad to a different note without adding a note effect in between to transpose the pad to a different note.

As a result, you cannot use a drum score on a VST instrument such that the score notes are named after the hit. This is REALLY handy, because you don't have to remember that C2 = Kick, and you have only the hits you are using.

In Ableton, you have the ability to change the note the pad sends in the chain config, and the ability to route that note to a different chain, so you can, for example, load a Kontak drum kit in one chain, and target every pad in drum rack to the appropriate hit in the Kontakt instrument. Even better, you can play the result on a standard 16 pad controller and it matches up perfectly to the drum rack.

This is impossible in Bitwig. I have discussed this with their developers, and they agree that Drum Machine needs to be way more flexible in this regard.

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:30 pm Oh come on. Ctrl+G the track you want to freeze, select appropriate time range in the Group Track (using '2' Time Selection tool), right-click "bounce in place", Alt+A on the original track to disable it completely. Done.
Versus right-click, freeze. Which is faster and keeps your project organized better?

teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:32 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:30 pm Oh come on. Ctrl+G the track you want to freeze, select appropriate time range in the Group Track (using '2' Time Selection tool), right-click "bounce in place", Alt+A on the original track to disable it completely. Done.
Versus right-click, freeze. Which is faster and keeps your project organized better?
I find the bounce faster. The problem with freeze is you have to unfreeze.

Say I freeze a track or a clip. Then I think, hmm, wonder if I would like it better making this small change. Now I have to unfreeze to try it. Then if I don't want that change, still have to refreeze it.

With bounce, I have the original grouped, I can always experiment with the original without having to unfreeze and refreeze.

If the frozen clip or track is long, then it can take some time to freeze. Then making one small change the whole thing has to be un-frozen and re-frozen. With bounce I can redo one tiny section. Takes less time.

Was hoping for advanced piano roll and groove pool but nice nevertheless.

teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:12 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:45 pm
That's faster than right-click, freeze? The point of freezing is to be able to unfreeze. Yes, you can work around this by littering your project with copied but disabled tracks. But it's neither faster nor elegant. Fine for small to mid-size project. But a real pain for projects with many tracks.
I think it really depends why you freeze, I very rarely have to freeze to save CPU, I freeze to be able to do 'audio tricks' with midi data, so I am normally dragging it in to a sampler or clip....

SLiC wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:24 pmI think it really depends why you freeze, I very rarely have to freeze to save CPU, I freeze to be able to do 'audio tricks' with midi data, so I am normally dragging it in to a sampler or clip....
Fair enough. My purpose for freezing is indeed to manage CPU load with certain problem children (Fathom, for example).

I am happy if they add the option to freeze your way as well :-)

teilo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:32 pm
Ok, maybe Live's way is a bit faster, but Bitwig's is way more flexible:
- you can have multiple tracks in the Group Track
- you can freeze with different parameters at different regions of the track (and re-freeze sections, at will)
- you can move some of the effects to Group Track and still modulate them live
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”