Logic pro x update is out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

the only DAW which can't run anymore in El Capitan, while all last other DAWs can !
An Apple soft which can't run on a Apple computer that not Logical, planned obsolescence.

I will not change my old Imac because of the bad reputation of the quality of the latest Apple computers.
Is it worth the expensive price ?

mrj1nx wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 am Im also on low sierra. Looking forward to the next major update. Hoping for more in the vein of the recent eq updates. Wouldnt mind comp upgrade with controls mapped like iconic devices like la2a.
I stuck with Sierra for over 2 years after a mediocre experience with High Sierra. Thankfully tools like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper make testing out a new operating system quite painless, so I could easily revert back. Mojave won me over though and has been very smooth so far. Unlike with High Sierra I haven't run into any compatibility or performance issues. Another reason to consider upgrading to Mojave is because of rumors suggesting it might be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit applications natively at full performance. I don't know much about OS development, but this could be a serious issue for people still using older software with no hope of future upgrades.

I've been reluctant to install HS and Mohave though as they break compatibility with some apps I use such as TotalFinder, and even make installing RME drivers more challenging.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 am OK so nope. AU instruments still can only be addressed by MIDI channel, no ability to assign a specific MIDI controller to them. It's a weird thing that almost every DAW has some part of it that just reeks of legacy code? I'm Guess I'm in the minority here, wanting have the Roli Seaboard assigned to say Cypher 2, while the AKAI MPK88 here is playing a Kontakt library etc.
You can cable specific instrument outs to specific AU instruments in the MIDI environment (and always could do so). Just create a physical out object in the "Mixer" layer, and then cable the microscopic little triangles next to the instrument ports to the respective instrument tracks. You also need to delete the cable between the "sum output" and the sequencer input - otherwise, everything will be merged again.

The environment is very much legacy code, but pretty powerful for MIDI manipulation. Step sequencers, arpeggiators, splitters - it's all there, and has been there for ages (even in the Emagic days). However, it's very clumsy to use, especially on today's big screens.

I definitely agree with you that a much more streamlined environment for cabling instruments and channels would be a god send (and esp. one that doesn't feature 5 pixel wide triangles that need to be cabled to other 5 pixel wide triangles).

dupont wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 am the only DAW which can't run anymore in El Capitan, while all last other DAWs can !
An Apple soft which can't run on a Apple computer that not Logical, planned obsolescence.

I will not change my old Imac because of the bad reputation of the quality of the latest Apple computers.
Mojave runs very smooth on my machine, a recent MacBook Pro, much better than the latest OS IMHO. This also reduced fan activity and other annoying issues (that seemed to be specific to the new MacBook Pros and High Sierra). I think it's pretty safe to update now, as the initial incompatibility issues are mostly ironed out.

However, I would always check the web regarding audio interface/driver issues for my setup, and whether my specific machine is powerful enough to run the new OS. And I would also do a backup, so that I can revert to the previous situation without issues...

But again, my personal experiences with Mojave have been great (i.e. painless). So yes, for me, the upgrade of MacBook and OS was definitely worth it.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 am OK so nope. AU instruments still can only be addressed by MIDI channel, no ability to assign a specific MIDI controller to them. It's a weird thing that almost every DAW has some part of it that just reeks of legacy code? I'm Guess I'm in the minority here, wanting have the Roli Seaboard assigned to say Cypher 2, while the AKAI MPK88 here is playing a Kontakt library etc.
Minority maybe... but not alone. That is the single worst thing about Logic.

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 am I've been reluctant to install HS and Mohave though as they break compatibility with some apps I use such as TotalFinder, and even make installing RME drivers more challenging.
I just bought a new Mac Mini and installing the RME driver was the same as it has always been... click install, done...

tq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:13 pm
dupont wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 am the only DAW which can't run anymore in El Capitan, while all last other DAWs can !

Mojave runs very smooth on my machine, a recent MacBook Pro, much better than the latest OS IMHO. This also reduced fan activity and other annoying issues (that seemed to be specific to the new MacBook Pros and High Sierra). I think it's pretty safe to update now, as the initial incompatibility issues are mostly ironed out.

However, I would always check the web regarding audio interface/driver issues for my setup, and whether my specific machine is powerful enough to run the new OS. And I would also do a backup, so that I can revert to the previous situation without issues...

But again, my personal experiences with Mojave have been great (i.e. painless). So yes, for me, the upgrade of MacBook and OS was definitely worth it.
My imac is too old for Logic and Sierra !

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:19 am So has anyone played with the new per port settings? I'm curious as to whether you can now assign a specific controller to a specific AU instrument now or if it's still per channel only? They didn't specifically mention AU instruments in the "what's new" section... just this, sounds like it might be possible now??
There are now preferences to filter MIDI data on a port-by-port basis.
MIDI data is kinda vague though, as in it could just be for CC's etc.
Can't see anything new, not specific inputs for controllers and more usable ability to assign CC which is what I was hoping for.

tq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:54 am You can cable specific instrument outs to specific AU instruments in the MIDI environment (and always could do so). Just create a physical out object in the "Mixer" layer, and then cable the microscopic little triangles next to the instrument ports to the respective instrument tracks. You also need to delete the cable between the "sum output" and the sequencer input - otherwise, everything will be merged again.
Do you know if there is a tutorial showing that last part about the «sum output»?
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Simply delete the cable from “sum” to sequencer input...

alonl6 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:36 pm It's not a must, but I hope to see some skin and gui changes for the old instruments and synths. I mean, come on, ES2 looks really weird :hihi: and old.
But its very logical gui its the most.I.enjoyed creating patches with it.

tq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:54 am
You can cable specific instrument outs to specific AU instruments in the MIDI environment (and always could do so). Just create a physical out object in the "Mixer" layer, and then cable the microscopic little triangles next to the instrument ports to the respective instrument tracks. You also need to delete the cable between the "sum output" and the sequencer input - otherwise, everything will be merged again.

The environment is very much legacy code, but pretty powerful for MIDI manipulation. Step sequencers, arpeggiators, splitters - it's all there, and has been there for ages (even in the Emagic days). However, it's very clumsy to use, especially on today's big screens.

I definitely agree with you that a much more streamlined environment for cabling instruments and channels would be a god send (and esp. one that doesn't feature 5 pixel wide triangles that need to be cabled to other 5 pixel wide triangles).
Yeah I do recall being able to do that in the Environment back in the day when Logic was my main DAW, but to be honest that's a lot of busy work when the other DAWs I use all do it no issue.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:32 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 am I've been reluctant to install HS and Mohave though as they break compatibility with some apps I use such as TotalFinder, and even make installing RME drivers more challenging.
I just bought a new Mac Mini and installing the RME driver was the same as it has always been... click install, done...
Cool
,How do you like the new mac mini.What components did you get(CPU, Ram,SSD size)?

bill45 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:32 pm
Cool
,How do you like the new mac mini.What components did you get(CPU, Ram,SSD size)?
So far so good. I wanted a dedicated audio computer. Plus with the Macbook Pro, the fan came on too much and of course the fan is right there. I have the Mac Mini under the desk. So far the fan is not noticeable if it is coming on at all yet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”