Logic pro x update is out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

I am not using Logic but why is the urge to mention Reaper on every thread possible?
Also waiting for the ''Big expensive dongle Mac'' cliche

andypryce wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:07 pm I am not using Logic but why is the urge to mention Reaper on every thread possible?
Also waiting for the ''Big expensive dongle Mac'' cliche
Dunno? probably because people are at this point still very provincial in their thinking about most things?

Full disclosure I switched from DP back to Logic to Reaper in a month last year because I'd forgotten about Logic's silly MIDI controller issues with soft instruments where it only allows per channel selection of controllers, forcing the end user to assign unique channels to each controller, which isn't always possible.

Anyway, I had already bought Logic X for older projects anyway, so I'm really curious about the update, since it mentions this very thing, that per port selection is now possible. Hopefully I'm not reading it wrong.

[rant on]I'd love to see an "update" of LPX that is a "downdate" - have a mode or a version that is stripped of most of the functionality in LPX in exchange for faster performance and more reliability. It will never happen of course, not with bloat-ware like this.

I am also on Sierra. I refuse to buy a newer mac than 2012 models unless they make drastic changes and completely reverse their war against self-repair. So that will likely mean my music system gets forcefully locked-down and I stop buying plugins. Fine with me. And eventually, a migration to another platform, likely Windoze and some other DAW.

I've been an consistent apple customer since 1981. My Apple ][+ back then was $5000! But as of around 2004 Apple has gone down-hill. Since then I only buy used machines and am 2-3 generations behind. But I wont spend money on a machine newer than 2012 because of the lack of expandability and repair, not to mention the ultra-high prices, lack of features, shitty business practices and inability to DIY repair. Apple sux ass. :phones: [rant off]

Cinebient wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm
CircuitTree wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:00 pm I'm afraid of updating to Mojave since I'm currently running Logic on a 2015 MacBook Pro. :(
Mojave just runs fine for me on my Macbook Pro 2013.
It doesn’t make anything run slower?

dupont wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 pm
alonl6 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 pm Make sure to update :)
nothing fancy in terms of new stuff. I like apple. They make a lot of great frequent (and free) updates.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718
Reaper users couldn't help laughting :hihi:
Perhaps one day logic X will catch up with Reaper, there is still a long way to go !
Yeah, Reaper gave users a free synth with the capability of Alchemy... oh, wait... no it didn't... and in fact, Reaper cannot begin to compete with the range of instruments and FX in Logic.

plexuss wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 pm [rant on]I'd love to see an "update" of LPX that is a "downdate" - have a mode or a version that is stripped of most of the functionality in LPX in exchange for faster performance and more reliability.
Oh they have that, its even free (but only as in beer with that expensive glass though (some call it dongle) ; - )
Never heard of Garageband?
But that drives me even more crazy as Logic...
There is another but not free stripped down version I really love..
Logic without the sequencer called Mainstage with all the glorious and MPE compatible synths...

dupont wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 pm
Reaper users couldn't help laughting :hihi:
Perhaps one day logic X will catch up with Reaper, there is still a long way to go !
Oh look, another illiterate Reaper troll with so much strong evidence to back up his argument. Cool. The one thing I’ve learned about Reaper here at KVR is that many of its users are absolute pricks.

CircuitTree wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:43 pm
Cinebient wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm
CircuitTree wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:00 pm I'm afraid of updating to Mojave since I'm currently running Logic on a 2015 MacBook Pro. :(
Mojave just runs fine for me on my Macbook Pro 2013.
It doesn’t make anything run slower?
I didn‘t noticed any difference. It‘s more the opposite. But of course beware of not supported tools you might use.
I guess Logic 10.5 (maybe January?) will just work on Mojave so i just updated.
All my tools works fine so far.

ah, I see! Thanks for letting me know, I am really hoping they can update the esx sampler in the future.

CircuitTree wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 pm ah, I see! Thanks for letting me know, I am really hoping they can update the esx sampler in the future.
I'm sure they had that in mind when they brought in the Redmatica dude :tu:

So has anyone played with the new per port settings? I'm curious as to whether you can now assign a specific controller to a specific AU instrument now or if it's still per channel only? They didn't specifically mention AU instruments in the "what's new" section... just this, sounds like it might be possible now??
There are now preferences to filter MIDI data on a port-by-port basis.
MIDI data is kinda vague though, as in it could just be for CC's etc.

I really hope we can see a step sequencer in the future. One thing I REALLY miss from FL studio is that sequencer...

CircuitTree wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:25 am I really hope we can see a step sequencer in the future. One thing I REALLY miss from FL studio is that sequencer...
Back in the day there was a really cool Logic Environement MIDI step sequencer in the old old school analog vein, i.e. gate, filter, note, where filter could be any CC if I recall.

Here is a thread on it, it's a PITA to set up, and who knows is X makes it unworkable? but I do remember it being pretty cool when you get it running.
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=70967

Jumped from Low Sierra to Mojave, all good except for waves, which aooeaetky also has a simple fix

OK so nope. AU instruments still can only be addressed by MIDI channel, no ability to assign a specific MIDI controller to them. It's a weird thing that almost every DAW has some part of it that just reeks of legacy code? I'm Guess I'm in the minority here, wanting have the Roli Seaboard assigned to say Cypher 2, while the AKAI MPK88 here is playing a Kontakt library etc.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:19 am So has anyone played with the new per port settings? I'm curious as to whether you can now assign a specific controller to a specific AU instrument now or if it's still per channel only? They didn't specifically mention AU instruments in the "what's new" section... just this, sounds like it might be possible now??
There are now preferences to filter MIDI data on a port-by-port basis.
MIDI data is kinda vague though, as in it could just be for CC's etc.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”