Your First Ever PC & DAW Combo ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pentium III running a demo of Fruityloops version 2. I couldn't save anything so I had to complete every track in one sitting. The first 3 albums I did were all done this way.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I suppose my first digital audio workstation/pc combo was a 486 with a M Audio 24/96 running Cubase vst 5.1 This was around 2001 I think.
I recall upgrading to a 500 meg hard drive..my computer guy said it'd be the last one I'd ever need.

Reefius wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 am
A ZX Spectrum did not have MIDI, all the audio came out of the computer's internal speaker (which sounded like crap). So technically it was a digital audio workstation :D

OK - I know nothing about ZX Spectrum, so I possibly spoke too soon.
Do you know how pitch was determined, or if there was any audio editing at all?

Audio editing with 16k RAM? Yes, 16368 bytes which had to run the program as well...

Edit: the spectrum had 48k

felis wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:05 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 am
A ZX Spectrum did not have MIDI, all the audio came out of the computer's internal speaker (which sounded like crap). So technically it was a digital audio workstation :D

OK - I know nothing about ZX Spectrum, so I possibly spoke too soon.
Do you know how pitch was determined, or if there was any audio editing at all?
I think all you could do with it was just put notes on a staff and play them. No sound editing as it only had one sound which sounded a bit like a saw wave. At that time it was something revolutionary because the ZX Spectrum actually only had monophonic audio but somehow they managed to get 2 note polyphony out of it.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:50 pm Audio editing with 16k RAM? Yes, 16368 bytes which had to run the program as well...

Yes, my Spectrum had 48k, which was quite a lot back then :hihi:

Atari ST 1024 and Cubase 1.0 in year 1990.

Reefius wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm Atari ST with Cubase 1.0 (I think). Then switched to Atari Falcon and around 1996 I made the switch to PC.

My Atari Falcon is still working, but I can't run Cubase on it anymore because I crossgraded my license from Atari to PC back in the day. I still own a copy of Cubase 3.0 for Windows on floppy disks, parallell port dongle included :D
Nice :D
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

One of those Mac clones that were around for a short time in '96 or '97, a Umax G3 (??), with a copy of Cubase VST I got from a "friend" (ahem...). I had not the slightest idea what to do with it, there were no manuals or howtos, let alone youtube videos that we have today, nothing. Somehow I managed to record two songs with the onboard sound chip. They were horrible.

fese wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:58 pm One of those Mac clones that were around for a short time in '96 or '97, a Umax G3 (??), with a copy of Cubase VST I got from a "friend" (ahem...). I had not the slightest idea what to do with it, there were no manuals or howtos, let alone youtube videos that we have today, nothing. Somehow I managed to record two songs with the onboard sound chip. They were horrible.
Like me back in the day when i installed the demo version of Fruity Loops 3. I had no idea how it worked or what to do. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Amiga 500! I started with Noisetracker, then Startrekker, followed by Protracker. First DAW for sequencing external gear was OctaMED, then Music-X and Bars & Pipes. Life was so much simpler then. :)

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:50 pm Audio editing with 16k RAM? Yes, 16368 bytes which had to run the program as well...

Hey yeah - 48k RAM, there you could do a lot with! :party:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Before PC:

But the first DAW I ran on a PC was Voyetra Digital Ochestrator Plus. http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/inde ... opic=534.0

It had audio recording and editing, alongside MIDI sequencing. PC was Windows 95, Pentium 1 @133MHz, with a Creative Sound Blaster Live for audio and MIDI.
Last edited by zzz00m on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

This was my first ever computer I used in 1981, I would have been around the age of 4, so was using computers long before I used them in primary school. It made no sound, but it wouldn't have made much difference because I was probably still pretty much profoundly deaf in both ears, until I had my adenoids out around then. I was completely absorbed and if it could make music, then I'd probably have found a way.

The first ever music I heard from a computer I owned in my home was from a game called 'The Lone Raider' as heard below on an Atari 800 XL in 1985. In 1986, my older brother programmed in the code for a music making program in assembly and basic languages. So that was really the first DAW (as they call them now) I ever used in effect with a computer...Waiting for the game to load was never boring with this one...Incidently..I still have the working Atari 800 XL today. In the 1990's I made music on the Amiga 500 and 1200.. after blowing up my Atari Mega ST.. :D (Bar & Pipes,ect, but settled on Octamed Sound Studio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZQt9uIiWxQ
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

386 running cakewalk pro ( or whatever it was before sonar ). Sound forge and CD architect. 1997. Synced w/ 3 Tascam da 88s 8mm digital tape.

What a @#$&$# mess. constant crashes due to IRQ conglicts. I love my Reaper and a laptop running on Win 7.......bullet proof.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”