Your First Ever PC & DAW Combo ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pentium 1 running sonic foundry acid , sound forge ..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

It must have been early 90s, i had an IBM AT-Clone with yellow Monitor and got myself a CMS-101-Midi-Card with a software called PRISM. DOS only it had a windows-based graphical interface and was quite powerful at that time.

Shortly after that i switched to WIN and Passport-Software TRAX......

Man, i do feel old now.....

Marc :hug:

1987-88 an IBM 8088 with 16 kb memory which had to be upped to a whopping 32 kb to run Voyetra Sequencer Plus
Roland MPU-1 interface (which I still have laying around here somewhere)

I'm not sure if that counts as a DAQ, but...A 386 with Impulse Tracker when I was 15. That's how I got into music production back in 1995.

Apple //c with Music Construction Set
Atari 520 ST with Pro24
Amiga 500 and 1200 with Soundtracker and MusicX
PC with Cakewalk, Fruity loop, Rebirth, Orion and Ableton Live

in 2001, i got a custom built Pentium III machine with a Soundblaster Live soundcard, that had Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 & Fruity Loops 2 pre-installed. it was TERRIBLE!!!
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Actually my very first music software was 'Wham The Music Box' on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum in 1985. Does this count as a DAW? :hihi:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0008965

Dell 210 (80286) running Voyetra Sequencer Plus 4 on a VP-4001 interface.

That baby ran for almost a decade.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

(1997) Custom 486DX 100, Gravis Ultrasound card running Master Tracks Pro - Used for sequencing a Roland XP-10, which i returned for an Alesis QS6. Such MIDI headaches back then.

Reefius wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:57 pm Actually my very first music software was 'Wham The Music Box' on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum in 1985. Does this count as a DAW? :hihi:

Nope - Digital AUDIO Workstation.

Most of the things listed here, including part of my post, are midi sequencers.

I suppose the Ensoniq Mirage with the editor for the Mac was a digital audio workstation. 1986 is when the software came out, I believe.

The first computer I would consider as a DAW (native recording/processing of audio and midi) was 1998:

Intel Pentium MMX 200Mhz
64 Meg Ram
20 Gig Hard Drive
Nvidia graphics
Turtle Beach sound

I ran Cubase VST24. Could not really act as a live studio. I often resorted to Cool Edit Pro just to be able to record multiple tracks.

What is crazy is that within 3 years the specs had blown that out of the water:

Intel Pentium 1.6ghz
4 gb Ram (only about 3gb usable)
500GB Hard Drive
M-Audio 24/96

Cubase SX1, Reason, and honestly the first REAL DAW and PC...

felis wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:32 am
Reefius wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:57 pm Actually my very first music software was 'Wham The Music Box' on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum in 1985. Does this count as a DAW? :hihi:

Nope - Digital AUDIO Workstation.

Most of the things listed here, including part of my post, are midi sequencers.
A ZX Spectrum did not have MIDI, all the audio came out of the computer's internal speaker (which sounded like crap). So technically it was a digital audio workstation :D

Octamed on an Amiga 500+ circa 1992! (and I was more productive in those days than I am now :scared:)
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

jancivil wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:55 am I suppose the Ensoniq Mirage with the editor for the Mac was a digital audio workstation. 1986 is when the software came out, I believe.
Similar, my band Systems Collapse in SF CA during the 80's had a Mac + with MOTU Performer 1.0 running an Ensoniq Mirage and that editor. We bought a rack mount Mirage as soon as they came out. saved for months to get it etc.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”