Your First Ever PC & DAW Combo ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sqigls wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:49 pm
10GB hard drive!!!! man that thing cost me over 500 bucks alone.
That'll be Auzzzyyyy dollars...
Pretty cheap then>>>
:lol:

Amiga 600/1200
Octamed Pro/MusicX
AudioMaster

PC Win Me
AMD1ghz
Quartz Audio Master (?) [no vst, just a piano roll midi sound sequencer thing]
Then Sonic Syndicate Orion....

edit: SB Live Platinum too on first PC
Last edited by AnX on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atari STE 2 MB.

I also had a 20 MB hard disk. Yes that is "20 megabytes" and not gigabytes ! Cubase was installed on the hardisk which would slowly spin up. The hardisk was something like 15 inch square and 2 deep. And of course it was completed with an Atari hi rez monitor. To record audio I had a Tascam 144 cassette deck. I am trying to remember what we used as a sound source back then. Probably midied into my Juno 106 and Siel expander 80. Those were the days !

dellboy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:10 pm The hardisk was something like 15 inch square and 2 deep.
Square.. wow, I thought I knew hard drives... :ud:
Seriously>> I only ever saw those MONSTERS on Data/Business mini frame computers and the like...
EXPENSIVE!!.. ??

Don't remember the computer or the OS, but I had Cubase 3.7 and ReBirth RB-338 2.01 on it. I think the year was 1999.

This is Four Yorkshiremen time again, then?

We didn't have DAWs in those days. We had a computer which ran off a floppy disk, 128k it was and the MIDI ported out via a serial port.
And the sample editing was done on a tiny display the size of yer thumb in hexadecimal before there was any software for a computer.
And you had to loop everything as there was no memory for any sustain portion a'tall...
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

667mhz celeron
512mb ram
40gb hdd
Steinberg project card (18bit pci)
Behringer mx602 mixer
Yamaha msp3 monitors (just horrible)

Cubasis vst (32 audio tracks, 2 inserts per track)

This was about 2000 or 2001

I remember that most reverb plugins took about 75% of my available cpu, and using SIR would instantly overload the cpu.

I first attempted to run a guitar through a virtual amp (Steinberg warp) on this rig, and I remember it being a horrible experience, resulting in the worst tone I have ever heard.

It's amazing I stuck with it :)
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

I cant even remember what kind kf computer it was... besides it was a Compaq.

First DAW was Digital Orchestrator. That was around 1997 or 98.

I was a kid working 2 jobs and didnt have anything but a little Portasound keyboard. It was such a headache. Lol. No sounds worth a damn.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Atari ST with Steinberg 24 and then Hybrid Arts SMPTE track, as well as M and Doctor T.

First PC TI994a, hearing "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" the first 50 times 'synthesized/digitized' was nothing less than mindblowing at that time, so started my interest in making music with computers at about as early as one can expect.

Wasn't until the C64 I got rolling though with my poly 800.
Have you tried Vital?

First computer experience was a Commodore 64 my boss threw down on the floor without a manual and threatened firing me if I didn't have it up and running by the next day. My very next customer was a programmer that taught me how to write a boot disk for it. ('84?)
Worked on family members 80-86/88 and different store computers until I found the money to buy a 486 with 4mb RAM and a 165mb HD in '94.
Used a Midi-man card that came with TT Cakewalk and Power tracks.

Currently use a double Xeon system with 68gb and a smaller home computer with a single Xeon/20gb. Both use SSD for the OS drive.
(Sonar/Finale)

I thought this would be a thread about what the young folks are getting today for their first setup.

Turns out that there are a lot of old folks hanging out here! :lol:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:07 pm Amiga 500 with Bars&Pipes - awesome software and hardware for the time.
After that, it took a while until something on what we call a PC today came even close...
Agreed.

I still use an Amiga 500. It's pimped out with 128Meg RAM, 40 MHz Motorola 68030 CPU and 8Gig Compact flash 'hard disks'. I will upgrade further when the Vampire 4 becomes more readily available.
eh?

Nah.. there are are a few youngsters here who didn't start until the 1990's
Long live youth, I say>>> :band: :party:

I had some tracker programs for my Amiga, but I didn't really know what they were at the time. I knew you could make music using them, but I really had no idea how to make music on a computer (this is mostly still true today :P ).
I played around a little with Reason 2.5 but never really tried seriously. That system must have had some kind of Athlon processor, maybe in the 1.5 - 2 GHz GHz range?

My first serious attempts at making music started this May on my Ryzen system using Studio One :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”