Live 9 vs. 10...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using Live for some time as my main DAW, and after trying 10 a couple times, I am not seeing a reason to upgrade... and I actually prefer the look and interface of 9. Kind of a drag, as I guess it will be inevitable to have to switch. I think the "capture last take" feature from my days with Logic is cool but the rest is just not making me say I gotta upgrade? Anyone else seeing it that way... Just curious what others think. And wave only in the suite version... seems like that should be in the regular version for $229. :neutral:

Same boat, sticking with 9x the GUI in 10 on a 28" inch display is appalling, tiny fonts that ableton refuse to fix.

And at $229 for an upgrade that's the least I would want.

topaz wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:32 pm Same boat, sticking with 9x the GUI in 10 on a 28" inch display is appalling, tiny fonts that ableton refuse to fix.

And at $229 for an upgrade that's the least I would want.
You can obviously scale the interface using the settings in Preferences / Look & feel.
Also, have you tried toggling HiDPI support in that same tab?

I think 10 looks much better - cleaner, sharper and uses better colour palette.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

YMMV..Live 10 is a way better here in terms of interface. It actually made me switch from 12 years of FL Studio use. Live 9 or below were horrible for me (in terms of look).

Loses screen space, no HiDPI on mac.
antic604 wrote:
You can obviously scale the interface using the settings in Preferences / Look & feel.
Also, have you tried toggling HiDPI support in that same tab?

I think 10 looks much better - cleaner, sharper and uses better colour palette.

DHR53 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:25 pm I think the "capture last take" feature from my days with Logic is cool but the rest is just not making me say I gotta upgrade?
I use this way more than I should.

But overall the changes aren't that major unless you use the wavetable synth in Suite.

Still on 9, I’ll upgrade to 10 suite at some point. More for the M4L devices.

I may need to update my computer glasses because I think 9 looks way better... The weird expand track key cmnd. (S, Z) is driving me nuts too... :)

I had Live 9 running a Live 8 skin. That broke with Live 10 and I've learned to live with the new interface though I'm still not wild about the look.

There are a few themes for 10 available. There's a recent thread with links here somewhere. There are a few from Sonic Bloom, and a Live8 theme ... altho I'm ok with the current Dark & Mid-Dark themes. I used to like the Disco skin for 9.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=493872

DHR53 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:46 pm I may need to update my computer glasses because I think 9 looks way better... The weird expand track key cmnd. (S, Z) is driving me nuts too... :)
One would think that they would have implemented the M S keys for mute and solo selected tracks like every other DAW in the world but no :)

Er, yea, I'm a little perplexed about the new keys for tracks... I was thinking a expand track and reduce track like Logic. Not change the focus etc. Mouse wheel with option key expands tracks variably, but is undocumented possibly? "A" for automation was really needed though so that's something. :)

DHR53 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:16 pm"A" for automation was really needed though so that's something. :)
I feel like I live in parallel universe. Most people I know - and myself personally - think it was the worst thing they did in 10. But I'm not Logic user and apparently it's "inspired" by that, right?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I think reason to upgrade is new devices: echo, pedal, wavetable, drum buss and updated utility. They are really cool. Of course there could be more:).
New UI looks a bit different, but you quickly get used to it. So it's not a problem.

Multi clip editing was the biggest for me.

But I wouldn't pay full price for upgrade, better wait for a sale.
dedication to flying

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”