Questions about Reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i would argue that you can look at coding as 'art'. i think the guy who coded Reaper has created 'art' but i am too ignorant to be able to descant on the technical means by which it is created.
Using Reaper is using a tool that can create art/music... It would be analogous to not understanding the chemistry behind Rembrandt's paints. Does that preclude being able to appreciate his paintings as art? i don't think so...
there are many instances of software that is art imo.

Art isn't really a property of things -art is more a relation between a person and a thing (where "thing" can include ideas). In other words art is more of a feeling people get than a thing in the world

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:48 am Coding is logic driven
Clearly youve never had to maintain legacy code.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I make mostly hip hop music, so I'm using mainly midi, samples, and a million plugins, and Reaper is my favorite DAW. I use exclusively Waveform 9 and Reaper now despite having 10 other DAWs on my comp. Whenever I'm in trouble I ask myself, what would Kenny Goiua do?

Coding requires heavy use of your left brain, making music requires right brain use. Reaper is fantastic and I used it for many years but it's clearly made by a coder, not an artist.

I taught design to IT and Engineering students at one of the best Universities in my country. Maybe 10% got it - most really struggled with being creative in an open domain ie they wanted very clear guidelines and were upset when they didn't get them.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:27 pm
Clearly youEDIT've never had to maintain legacy code.
This>>>
:lol:

Reaper is coded the way it is because that means you can customize it to whatever workflow you want.
The artist doesn't need to customize to Reaper.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 am Reaper is coded the way it is because that means you can customize it to whatever workflow you want.
The artist doesn't need to customize to Reaper.
not really- I want all window and element sizing to follow the same conventions - can't be done in Reaper - resizing an audio track or fx window uses a completely different convention to lanes/edit pane in the midi editor.
reaper is coded the way it is because the dev likes keeping the codebase manageable so uses a lot of OS inbuilt libraries where possible and has no interest in UX (says so himself).

Reaper is a quite capable software. It has functionalty that you will not find anywhere else. The main problem with Reaper is that people tend yo treat it almost like a religion where you are not allowed to critizise anything. And the one thing in which Reaper sucks big time is it’s user experience. It looks and feels like a piece of software right out of the 90s. And themes don’t really help with that, they only put a band aid over the surface.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:47 am Reaper is a quite capable software. It has functionalty that you will not find anywhere else. The main problem with Reaper is that people tend yo treat it almost like a religion where you are not allowed to critizise anything. And the one thing in which Reaper sucks big time is it’s user experience. It looks and feels like a piece of software right out of the 90s. And themes don’t really help with that, they only put a band aid over the surface.
That's it . . . , it reminds me of the Cakewalk Community in it's religious zealot like attitude, and in the way you can't say anything negative etc without being descended on by the hordes. With regards to looks and user experience, there is a reason why people refer to REAPER as "The Linux of the DAW World" and they don't use the term lovingly. Still, it is pretty much supremely powerful, and I own it and always renew, but hardly ever use it . . . maybe one day.
Say NO to CLAP!

Yeah, it's not very intuitive. I remember showing my guitar-player buddy the demo. He sat down and looked at it, scratched his head and he was done with it.

The thing is, no interface is really intuitive to someone with no experience at all. We learn a way to do something and then expect everything to use that method. It is said that the only naturally intuitive interface is the nipple.

arkmabat wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:28 am It is said that the only naturally intuitive interface is the nipple.
not by anyone who does design

Trying to maintain old legacy code, wouldn't be my approach in any case, I would be harnessing the most effective, effient and recent codebase developments that are out there in the development of any product throughout it's life time. https://techbeacon.com/5-emerging-progr ... ght-future

I'm not a coder within the context of programming languages, although it is something I had to tackle whilst at Uni, with the likes of Pascal 13 years ago. But it's mainly been scripting since back then as part of interface development for web and applications, and that of programs that integrate scripting. As well as node connection based, that are derived from programming languages themselves. If one is building with nodes, you're playing second fiddle to that of what the programming language is able to provide you. The solution, find a better application or technique within an application to help avoid having to deal with old legacy code.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:08 am
Trying to maintain old legacy code, wouldn't be my approach in any case,
what you'd be doing in your hypothetical situation you're admitting you're not qualified to assess is utterly and completely missing the point. coding is not always logic driven, full stop.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”