Cubase 9.5.x becomes unresponsive after closing project (Win10, x64)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I did a fresh Windows 10 install from a newly created install media, installed only Cubase 9.5.41, RME drivers and Tonebooster V3 plugins and Slicke EQ GE, and the problem still persists: Cubase hangs when I close a project with those plugins after working on it for some time.
What is it that only me and maybe a few other people here have that problem???

The only thing I can think of is that I have SSD drive, so maybe this?
I still have Tonebooster V3 installed but I don't have the others in your list.

I even regret selling it now, because I thought Studio One v4 would be a good alternative, which is not because of midi bugs makes loop recording a mess :( anyway, too late for that.

Keep trying to eliminate the problem. Antivirus, RME drivers, and check event viewer for hints. There must be a reason other than luck ;)

I had something similar.. I'd read somewhere about the Steinberg Hub thing being funky so I disabled it and this solved almost all my crashes.
Weird, but ya. Something about how it accesses the web or something.

EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 pm The only thing I can think of is that I have SSD drive, so maybe this?
I still have Tonebooster V3 installed but I don't have the others in your list.

I even regret selling it now, because I thought Studio One v4 would be a good alternative, which is not because of midi bugs makes loop recording a mess :( anyway, too late for that.
Well, the grass is always greener on the other side, but there is of course bugs everywhere. I tested S1 a bit (absolutely no hangs there with the same plugins) but I really don't to go through the hassle of learning a new DAW just to realize that I'll only be annoyed by different things :)

Keep trying to eliminate the problem. Antivirus, RME drivers, and check event viewer for hints. There must be a reason other than luck ;)
[/quote]
There is a reason, but when the problem persisted on a blank Win10, current RME drivers, with a blank Cubase and nothing else, it most likely can only be a) the plugins, b) Cubase or c) something hardware like the graphics chip/drivers.
I need to find someone who can lend me a graphics card...

Danno wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:25 pm I had something similar.. I'd read somewhere about the Steinberg Hub thing being funky so I disabled it and this solved almost all my crashes.
Weird, but ya. Something about how it accesses the web or something.
This is pretty much the first thing I disable :=)

What about the power scheme? Have you tried disabling it/enabling it? Inside Cubase and/or Windows power schemes?

I also have experienced a similar problem, im running Cubase 10 though, not sure if that makes a difference. But I have noticed that it only seems to crash if I use the X in the top right window, if I use the menus it closes cleanly, worth trying.

and by the way Im on day 7 of nothing from Steinberg support on this issue, my 2nd support case in 3 months, the first took 3 weeks to get a response!
Last edited by Origin8tor on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funny this kind of issue still exists. I regularly had it with Cubase Artist 8.5. IF that's the same thing, of course.

Cubase 9.5.x becomes unresponsive after closing project (Win10, x64)
honestly, Cubase has been doing this off and on since FOREVER.
I used to be on Windows, now on OSX, I've had this problem on both OSs

The ONLY way Steinberg is EVER gonna fix this, is by mistake.
They'll just release a new version. Problem solved ;)
must be user error.

in their defence, it's often a plugin or runtime or some similar thing that is the trigger.
burrowing its way into some hole somewhere :P

Origin8tor wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 pm I also have experienced a similar problem, im running Cubase 10 though, not sure if that makes a difference. But I have noticed that it only seems to crash if I use the X in the top right window, if I use the menus it closes cleanly, worth trying.

and by the way Im on day 7 of nothing from Steinberg support on this issue, my 2nd support case in 3 months, the first took 3 weeks to get a response!
Interesting idea, I'm going to try closing it via CTRL-W or the menu.
Yeah, Steinberg support lives up to its bad reputation. Not only did they give only useless and wrong replies in my case, they often take weeks. It is quite unworthy of the premium price..
squigls wrote: honestly, Cubase has been doing this off and on since FOREVER.
I used to be on Windows, now on OSX, I've had this problem on both OSs

The ONLY way Steinberg is EVER gonna fix this, is by mistake.
They'll just release a new version. Problem solved ;)
must be user error.

in their defence, it's often a plugin or runtime or some similar thing that is the trigger.
burrowing its way into some hole somewhere :P
I *never* had it in five years of Windows 7. Only when I migrated to Win10 (big mistake anyways), with the same version and the same plugins...
And it is definitely related to plugins, I've identified a few and if I don't use them anymore, there's no problem. But it's hard not being able to use Tonebooster's v3 plugins :(

EnGee wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:23 pm What about the power scheme? Have you tried disabling it/enabling it? Inside Cubase and/or Windows power schemes?
Yep. No effect. And I had my first hang with a VST3 plugin (Transreckon). So not specifically VST2-related anymore...

I am getting a graphics adapter on loan from a colleague and I will try that just to rule out the Intel UHD630 and its drivers (I tested several...)

Origin8tor wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 pm I also have experienced a similar problem, im running Cubase 10 though, not sure if that makes a difference. But I have noticed that it only seems to crash if I use the X in the top right window, if I use the menus it closes cleanly, worth trying.
Nope, just tested this, no difference.
BTW if you could take a memory dump of the hanging Cubase process (Open Windows Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC). Find Cubase among the list of processes. Right-click Cubaseand select "Create dump file". Task manager should indicate where the dump file was written to.) and put it someplace where I can download it i can find out which plugin is causing you the trouble...

The last thing I can think of is the Event Viewer. Try to take a note of the exit time, then open the event viewer and see what errors are there and search the net for a possible solution.

There's light at the end of the tunnel. A plugin developer I contacted with this problem gave me a new beta version of the plugin which was compiled with VSTGUI 4.3 instead of VSTGUI 4.0 as before, and that actually fixed the problem. Old version: reproducible hang; new version: no hang. So it is most likely a problem of an older version of VSTGUI in connection with DirectX, and there is actually a commit (" fix too early unload of the D2D libraries when multiple frame objects are created") from some time ago which might be related to the problem:
https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vstgu ... 1a68ba51ef
This is about the Destructor of the D2DFactory object which is a DirectX-Object which is what we see in the stacktrace I took of Cubase in the hang state.

There are still a lot of unclear issues:
1) Why do seemingly only a few Cubase users have the problem on Win10? Or are Cubase users just used to their program hanging or crashing on close?
2) Were there some undocumented changes in Direct-X in
3) Why do e.g. Studio One and Reaper don't show this behavior on the same machine? Do they handle plugin unloading differently?
4) I never had the problem on Win7 which I used until 10 months ago. Are the Direct-X version that much different?

to 1) I had the suspicion that it might be related to the graphics chip/driver, so I borrowed me an AMD Radeon card and tested that (on a clean Win10 install) but the problem persisted...

Thanks for reporting back fese. Although I did have closing problem (freezing the PC) in version 9 and 8 but not in version 9.5 with my current system. Still I had some lagging when I close but it takes only a second or two.

Unfortunately I can't test anything about Cubase 9.5 anymore as I sold it. However, I noticed I still have Cubase LE 6 in my account, so I installed it. I was curious to see how it performs in Windows 10 and I must say it preforms excellent! Much better than version 8, 8.5, 9 and 9.5. I don't remember I had any problem with version 7 really.

There is no lag when I close Cubase 6 LE. It also loads fast and more responsive in general. Anyway, I bought recently Studio One v4 and Notion 6 to replace Cubase Pro and it doesn't have such lagging. It has some bugs with midi recording, but I could avoid them and in general I'm happy with it more than with Cubase 9.5 :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”