Are Todays Daw's Making People Lazy Producers ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's been a while since I created any topics of late...so here's one I'm sure you're gonna love / hate... :lol:

But I dunno, if it's me getting older, (I was born in the 1970's), but damn, commercial music today is absolute garbage from how it use to be... I felt it was doing OK, up until 10 years ago. I'd like to blame Fruityloops because of this, but that probably wouldn't go down too well here.... :D, whether that's the case or not....and for that matter... any DAW out there. ( I'm expecting, don't blame the DAW but the user remarks :D).

It could be that music software such as with the likes of DAW's have become too complex, some people just don't have the talent, understanding or both. These days.... I turn on the TV, switch to one of the music channels...and immediately want to throw the TV out the window...( figuratively speaking that is)... Daw's in the 1980's were quite primitive, music hardware wasn't cheap either although to some extent, that hasn't changed much. People worked harder to produce better music with less I feel.... I know I did with a the old Playstation console... some 20 years ago.. between that of the Amiga and PC platform.

As an interesting observation side note stat, my own music on soundcloud in the past week broke 9000 plays... only took 6 years lol. :)
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Tools don't make the music.

People probably complained that synths were doing all the music when compared to a piano. Making interesting music on a piano definitely takes more work than on a synth but it's apples and oranges. Most of the music I listen to is done with synths but just because someone doesn't require the same level of dedication to master it doesn't mean that the music is any less valid.

I'm speaking generally of synths of course. You can study them to no end, of course; same with DAWs. All I'm saying is that music is a collaboration between the user and the technology. Use something for its strengths.

Onward and upward

Certain aspects of today's DAWs are making people who were never musicians, let alone composers, believe it's time to "Produce".
Producers in the old school sense of the word aren't likely to be made 'lazy' through having automation and thereby able to get a lot more done on budget/on time, although real time manual mixing could be a physical aspect which can atrophy.

Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

cba.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 pm It's been a while since I created any topics of late...so here's one I'm sure you're gonna love / hate... :lol:

But I dunno, if it's me getting older, (I was born in the 1970's), but damn, commercial music today is absolute garbage from how it use to be... I felt it was doing OK, up until 10 years ago. I'd like to blame Fruityloops because of this, but that probably wouldn't go down too well here.... :D, whether that's the case or not....and for that matter... any DAW out there. ( I'm expecting, don't blame the DAW but the user remarks :D).

It could be that music software such as with the likes of DAW's have become too complex, some people just don't have the talent, understanding or both. These days.... I turn on the TV, switch to one of the music channels...and immediately want to throw the TV out the window...( figuratively speaking that is)... Daw's in the 1980's were quite primitive, music hardware wasn't cheap either although to some extent, that hasn't changed much. People worked harder to produce better music with less I feel.... I know I did with a the old Playstation console... some 20 years ago.. between that of the Amiga and PC platform.

As an interesting observation side note stat, my own music on soundcloud in the past week broke 9000 plays... only took 6 years lol. :)
TLDR;

it's not the tools it's how you use them.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:34 am it's not the Tools it's how you use them.
back to a critique of exploitation under Capitalism I see :)

(https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=a%20tool is this a term in the USA as well?)

it is, as is Useful Idiot

The DAW's are nowhere near the problem as they give you the option to use it to it's full advantage and create something truly original every time.

Music like today's is made to follow a basic formula that works and is good enough for the general public to digest. Quick and easy money. Problem being is once laziness becomes the norm like it has, you get a wave of tunes that sound identical. These producers don't have the patience to develop their style, which takes years, so you end up with a massive pile of the same sounding stuff that doesn't progress far.

All my respect to those that put in the honest effort as you will be the truly original ones when your time is ready.

i think that the proliferation of instant access to a cracked daw and hundreds of gigabytes of content is making it easier for people to become lazy but that the amount of people who do hard and meticulous work has stayed the same—leading to a greater RATIO of lazy–to–non-lazy without actually making lazy those people who would otherwise have stuck with it and put a lot of work into each track.

tangentially, most people have difficulty liking music that they didn't hear when they were young. it doesn't have to be NEW music, just new 'to them.' someone who grew up listening to CCR—who might have easily enjoyed classical music if he grew up with it—might listen to Schubert when he's 40 and get absolutely nothing from it.

it's something about the way synapses develop differently at different ages.

very lucky is the one to whom new music can hold its charm all one's life.

seriously though, people been saying that new music sucks forever. I'm sure when the Beatles came around all the parents where talking about how horrible they are and this awful new sound.

So is the OP saying his music is better than the current commercial garbage? :P

https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1
:borg:

woggle wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:33 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 pm It's been a....
TLDR;
:lol:

V0RT3X wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:45 am So is the OP saying his music is better than the current commercial garbage? :P
sounds really good to me

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”