DAW version numbers cheating??? ;)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are DAW manufacturers cheating with the version history numbers? If i remember FL Studio went to version 20 from some lower number.... I is right? Some others can come in this category allso. Stagelight allso.... more?

Sorry for english and pointless thread.

Thanks.

There is a Mac joke associated with version 20. This is why they accelerated the version numbers.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Please elaborate :)

BrokenTrance wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm Please elaborate :)
Way back when they first started they joked that a Mac version would be available at version 20.

Ok i understand then. That is pretty cool even though i think FL Studio is not my coup of coffee.

BrokenTrance wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:27 pm Ok i understand then. That is pretty cool even though i think FL Studio is not my coup of coffee.
Not mine either, I just know that for some reason.

20th year of FL Studio :)
BrokenTrance wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:11 pm Are DAW manufacturers cheating with the version history numbers? If i remember FL Studio went to version 20 from some lower number.... I is right? Some others can come in this category allso. Stagelight allso.... more?

Sorry for english and pointless thread.

Thanks.

I wouldn't wonder if DAW developers take part in the general software "versionitis" scheme, though.

It's getting less and less common with traditional version numbers like 1.0, 1.2, 2.0 etc. In fact, it's not really something new. You might remember Microsoft released a product called "Windows 95", which was actually Windows version 4.00.0950. Windows 7 was actually version 6.1 and Windows 8 was 6.2.
Google Chrome is at version 72.0 by now, while my GeForce drivers are version 416.34.

Doesn't really matter IMO, as long as they make it easy to distinguish the versions. Perhaps they should copy Android and name the versions after desserts, or maybe drinks... Upgrade to the new Logic Cognac, introducing 45 new features. Special upgrade price for owners of Whiskey and Koskenkorva.

You're kidding right?

You should get a load of the version numbers we use for human creatures.

Tom, Bob, Martha, Gwendolin? WTF is this crap?
chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 am I wouldn't wonder if DAW developers take part in the general software "versionitis" scheme, though.
That's quite enough out of you, forum member #229529.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Long tradition. Cubase got up to 5 or 5.1, then had SX, then SX2 ,SX3, and then just 5. So there have been two fives, about 8 years apart. FL went from 12 to 20.

I assume that either they can't count or they forget what number they're up to.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

... or the marketing number is meaningless and entirely distinct from any internal version number while you've all been very, very confused and mistakenly attributed some sort of meaning or validity to it.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Image line skip versions to 20 because thse year (2018) FL becoming 20 Years old,it's a kind of joke
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Use Bitwig. They're honest and straighforward about their version number ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

In the other direction - why does Pre-Sonus still call Studio One Studio One? I think they should increment it with each major release, so it would now be Studio Four or whatever.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”