Sonar, free ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been off for quite a while and I've just discovered, and I cannot believe, as a former Sonar user, that Cakewalk has been rescued from a practical death and that Sonar is now a free product...

Really ? The full Sonar DAW, free ? That's great news. But how is it possible ? Where is the flow of money supposed to come from ? Or is this pure charity ?

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Wopelka wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 am I've been off for quite a while and I've just discovered, and I cannot believe, as a former Sonar user, that Cakewalk has been rescued from a practical death and that Sonar is now a free product...

Really ? The full Sonar DAW, free ? That's great news. But how is it possible ? Where is the flow of money supposed to come from ? Or is this pure charity ?
Good question. Noone knows, I guess. :shrug:

Well, they are actually investing in development and support. The product is getting updates almost at the same pace it did when it was Gibson´s. I do not know what Meng´s strategy is, but if he gets a good position in Asia I am sure that there is money there to be earned somehow.

Wopelka wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 am I've been off for quite a while and I've just discovered, and I cannot believe, as a former Sonar user, that Cakewalk has been rescued from a practical death and that Sonar is now a free product...

Actually, it is not just Sonar, it is much better. Most development now seems to be going to improve it, with less new features in the updates. It is getting monthly updates, though.

You can read all 12+ pages of this or any other Cakewalk Sonar Bandlab thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=512382
or read my summary:
Person 1: This is really cool, they're updating this nice free software.
Person 2: This is terrible. Sonar in all its forms has always sucked, sucks now, and will forever suck. Just to prove my point I will argue endlessly and scout the web for proof that it sucks. Thus proving my point, Sonar sucks so bad it's prevented me from making music without even using it.

I'm interested in where Meng/Bandlab take it. There was an article on Meng that described him as a "life long musician and music super fan." That can't be worse than a buracratic bean counter.

That's about the right price for it, I wouldn't pay a cent for it. I'm so glad I got away from it when I did, should have done it a lot earlier though. Sonar is just so buggy, old and clunky feeling, often taking you twice as many steps to achieve something as is needed. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, there are much better choices out there as I have found out.

Wopelka my old friend it's good to see you, please forgive me but I'm going to lock this and ask you to pick it up in the already running thread linked above. I dont need to chase another thread and with one person having their first post since they joined over a year ago to bash it I can see the writing on the wall as it were ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”