Beside Bitwig which DAW allows audiorate modulation?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Beside Bitwig which DAW allows audiorate modulation?
Best would be to record as "moving DC" audio and modulate parameters of an internal effect with that...
But having lfos in audiorate and only automate the parameters would be already something...
I could create the modulation in Max/MSP, but need more of a DAW enviroment...

MuLab - you can turn any audio signal into a modulator and then into parameter modulation / MIDI CC control (with high definition, internally). You don't have to go "fully modular", you can stick to wiring in a patch between VST in a rack, for example. But you lose some of the flexibility doing that.

And, so it seems, Reaper.

That is interesting, I searched and only came along posts from very long ago where it wasn‘t possible. Where did you hear about it?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=512965 today! :) I'm very, very glad I didn't have my headphones on when experimenting or I'd be deaf.

It's not obvious how to do it, of course, being Reaper... complexity in depth... I find it more comfortable having to stitch together "obvious" components in MuLab than have it pre-built but initially hard to follow in Reaper.

Ableton Live with unlinked Clip Envelopes, "Dummy Clips" and M4L devices (beyond the premade LFO stuff, can modulate stuff inside Max and saving it as a M4L device "preset", kinda like Bidule).

http://cdm.link/2009/09/advanced-ableto ... s-effects/

https://www.afrodjmac.com/blog/2016/9/1 ... leton-live

Renoise

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Meta_Devices

Usine Hollyhock

http://www.sensomusic.org/manual/en/lea ... ade-simple

pljones wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 pm MuLab - you can turn any audio signal into a modulator and then into parameter modulation / MIDI CC control (with high definition, internally). You don't have to go "fully modular", you can stick to wiring in a patch between VST in a rack, for example. But you lose some of the flexibility doing that.

The amount of noobnes is overwhelming
What most of you are describing is just an envelope follower/peak detector converting an audio signal into a control signal.
Which is not the same as bitwig , were processing is done at every sample tick ( altough bitwig is also perfectly able to create a control signal from audio )
Same with reaper , audio--->envelope follower >
I am using renoise for more then 10 years , it does NOT do audio rate modulation , yes it has an envelope follower , which is just a control signal derived from an audio signal
AFAIK , bitwig (as a host ) is unique when it comes to full audio rate modulation
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm
pljones wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 pm MuLab - you can turn any audio signal into a modulator and then into parameter modulation / MIDI CC control (with high definition, internally). You don't have to go "fully modular", you can stick to wiring in a patch between VST in a rack, for example. But you lose some of the flexibility doing that.

What most of you are describing is just an envelope follower/peak detector converting an audio signal into a control signal.
Which is not the same as bitwig , were processing is done at every sample tick ( altough bitwig is also perfectly able to create a control signal from audio )
I am using renoise for more then 10 years , it does NOT do audio rate modulation , yes it has an envelope follower , which is just a control signal derived from an audio signal
AFAIK , bitwig (as a host ) is unique when it comes to full audio rate modulation
I thought "audio-rate" modulation only meant the modulation frequency is high enough to reach the human listening threshold.

The Formula meta-device in Renoise seems to do audio-rate modulation, "samplecounter" and "srate" (sample-rate I assume) can be used to drive the modulation, and the other meta-devices can drive the Formula device.

pljones wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 pm And, so it seems, Reaper.
Reaper does not allow audiorate modulation on all sources.

Throw some DC signal in there, and start modulating. You'll be surprised ;)

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm The amount of noobnes is overwhelming. What most of you are describing is just an envelope follower/peak detector converting an audio signal into a control signal.
Why are you surprised? The real pros & people who actually produce music are in their studios ...producing music, while the rest of us talk about it on KVR ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pottering wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:20 am

I thought "audio-rate" modulation only meant the modulation frequency is high enough to reach the human listening threshold.

The Formula meta-device in Renoise seems to do audio-rate modulation, "samplecounter" and "srate" (sample-rate I assume) can be used to drive the modulation, and the other meta-devices can drive the Formula device.
Noppes , we're talking about the speed of processing / modulating parameters , happening at every sample tick .
The way how reaktor /vcv rack /and other modular synths work ..and bit wig as a host .
Let's say you have a drumloop that lasts for 1 second and is recorded @44100 , it is 44100 samples long .
Assume you want to use this drumloop in bitwig and use it as a modulation source to amplitude modulate a sine .
Bitwig will then take/process every sample of the drumloop and multiply it with the destiantion , iow everything happens at sample level .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I do not know anything about noobnes but quoted from the Mulab docs about Audio To Modulation & Modulation To Audio Converters:
...However using the Audio To Modulation Converter and Modulation To Audio Converter modules, modulations can also be done on audio rate. Almost all parameters effectively support audiorate modulation with only a few exceptions. (eg ADSR Attack/Release Speed, LFO Frequency) Being able to do audiorate modulations has several advantages:

More sonic options as you can route audio to modulation and vice versa.
This allows for unlimited FM, PM, AM, filter FM, scan wavetables at audio rate, etc...
All audio processor modules (filters, delays, ...) can also be used to process audiorate modulation signals....
To me it sounds quite like audio rate modulation... but I am not an expert... perhaps I got some noobnes inside... :tu:

OP said "having lfos in audiorate and only automate the parameters would be already something..."

pottering wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:07 pm OP said "having lfos in audiorate and only automate the parameters would be already something..."
Don´t know, what you are refering to, but in Mulab... no problem...

Let an Oscillator produce an i.e. sine wave with 440hz...
Feed the audio output of this oscillator into and audio to modulation converter and route the modulation output of this module to the i.e. cutoff of a filter... voila, the cutoff is modulated with 440hz...

Sorry, I was responding to gentleclockdivider's post, not yours.

I should have quoted the post I was answering to, but the post started looking too big so I left it out...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”