Good Reasons To Switch Your DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

they stopped supporting orion and i needed something better for audio upon my return to the studio.
while searching for a new host samplitude did their big offer last year, so seemed like a good idea at the time.

voidhead23 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 am Are there ever situations where it's a good idea to switch DAWs? What was your experience and reasons, for those that have made this switch?
If you're no longer inspired in your current DAW, maybe that's a good reason. That said, I prefer to use companion DAW and hold on to 1 as my main. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

There's no reason to change if you're in Live.

I've been switching back and forth between Live and Bitwig. I kind of treat the workflow as if I'm working with one DAW.

As for Logic the only other DAW I own, I've actually not even touched it.. it was honestly a impulse buy. I should at least start sampling stuff from it so I can use it in Live.
:borg:

If you feel like you are starting to do the same things after using the same daw for many years, a different DAW helps a lot. Different look, restrictions, less knowledge or different way of doing things helps to get out of the routine. At least it did for me.
I mostly try the unconventional ones though. Lİke Bİtwig FL Traction Reason. Each makes me come up with different stuff than I usually do. I use Studio One but I don't go the route of trying Cubase Logic etc since they are all very similar
A.

As someone who switched from REAPER to Reason in 2014 and then back two years later, I can say that the experience I had with Reason was at least refreshing if nothing else. Reason did help me get into electronic music composing proper, which probably hadn't happened had I stuck with REAPER for those two years. That said, I eventually found that Reason's workflow wasn't ideal for me, hence I switched back to REAPER.

That's one of the key aspects, I think: workflow. Once you've familiarized yourself with the workflow of one DAW, it can be surprisingly hard to know your way around another.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:43 pm That's one of the key aspects, I think: workflow. Once you've familiarized yourself with the workflow of one DAW, it can be surprisingly hard to know your way around another.
I agree. It's not like you can't figure out how to do stuff at all, it's more the extra seconds here and there while you hunt around in menus and toolbars or try to figure out new keyboard shortcuts etc. Those seconds add up, and cause increased frustration and distraction.

As a Studio One user, I'd maybe consider switching to something very different, like FL Studio for its pattern based workflow, or Reason, which is essentially a big modular playground, just for some variety. However, that would probably be a "secondary" DAW, just for playing around or to break up my usual workflow. I'll stick with SO for the foreseeable future, unless they stop updating it, take it in a completely different direction or make it some kind of ridiculous subscription "service" or similar.

tapper mike wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:06 pm Yeah, I'm going to switch to Bitwig .... Native MPE support on all plugins not just a few. There are ways to work lack of mpe support in other hosts but it's rather demanding.

Every time I see "MPE support" I have to google to remind myself what it is.

And when I find out I always remember that it was a big "Ensoniq" selling point 30 years ago.

It was an expensive must have back then,and I could never afford it.

Still can't. :hihi:

dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:16 amAnd when I find out I always remember that it was a big "Ensoniq" selling point 30 years ago.
That was nothing close to MPE...

pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:16 amAnd when I find out I always remember that it was a big "Ensoniq" selling point 30 years ago.
Yeah, Evil Dragon just put me right.

Still think its a gimmick though.

Mind you, every one will buy one, including myself, and eventually put it in a cupboard or on a shelf. :hihi:

dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Yeah, Evil Dragon just put me right.

Still think its a gimmick though.
It may not be useful for you... but it is not a gimmick. It is a few steps in the direction many players have been dreaming of for years. It offers something real and previously unavailable. As long as I play music an MPE controller will be at the center of my setup.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm
It may not be useful for you... but it is not a gimmick. It is a few steps in the direction many players have been dreaming of for years. It offers something real and previously unavailable. As long as I play music an MPE controller will be at the center of my setup.

Whoops,sorry, I did not know you had one.

Something similar has been around with breath controllers forever. Midi guitar, a midi-ed violin. And like I said, Ensoniq pushed polyphonic expression back in the 80's and 90's. I watched a guy on youtube playing a Roli to make it sound like a guitar,it sounded pretty amazing,but why ? Just buy an electric guitar and learn to play that.

voidhead23 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 am Open ended question. It seems every season i get the urge to change things up when my current program is pissing me off...but i feel like it's often just the 'grass is always greener' illusion and just an excuse to fret about workflow instead of actually making music.

Are there ever situations where it's a good idea to switch DAWs? What was your experience and reasons, for those that have made this switch?
It was mentioned earlier, but I think inspiration really is the answer. There are still certain scenarios where DAW choice could be more limited if there's a need for robust musical notation or scoring to picture, but there's been so much cross-pollination of features over the years that we've reached this saturation point where they're all plenty good enough for making music. For me it really just comes down to whatever environment fosters creativity and perhaps most importantly, productivity.

I am a passionate Ableton user, but today’s announcement of Nuendo 8.3 made me seriously consider switching. I am working with immersive Audio a lot and the new Ambisonics capabilities of Nuendo are stunning. Now need to figure out a way to handle Nuendo’s slightly out if reach price point. :)
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:49 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Whoops,sorry, I did not know you had one.

Something similar has been around with breath controllers forever. Midi guitar, a midi-ed violin. And like I said, Ensoniq pushed polyphonic expression back in the 80's and 90's. I watched a guy on youtube playing a Roli to make it sound like a guitar,it sounded pretty amazing,but why ? Just buy an electric guitar and learn to play that.
Your arguments are reactionary and absurd. Just learn to play violin like "Pearlman" while you're at it.

You don't actually know what MPE even is, but why not just see if you can be as negative as possible and talk smack to people who actually have a use for it. Sure, everybody should master all the instruments instead! Why do we even have electronic instruments, or a DAW at all? At some point in recent history there was somebody writing editorials to their local newspaper about why should we want a recording of something, just play it and remember it perfectly, there's no need or use for that infernal contraption.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”