Cakewalk Gets zplane élastique in build 2018.09 Build 25

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JoseC. wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:40 pm
planetearth wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:16 am "Horrible"? "Cataclysmic"? Hyperbole, much? :roll:

Roland didn't start courting bankruptcy lawyers after selling off Cakewalk (and many of the other things they bought and didn't know how to market). That was Gibson. And they're still not in the clear. On the other hand, Roland is doing just fine (thankyouverymuch) and came out with the plug-in versions of their classic synths that many musicians have been clamoring for for years.

Gibson ousted their CEO, sold off (or is in the process of selling off) many of the other music-related companies they bought (and couldn't figure out what to do with), and will hopefully be able to recover from all the missteps they've made over the years.

Again, I am no Cakewalk/SONAR fanboi. In fact, I haven't said much to defend SONAR in a couple of years, despite the attacks from people who just couldn't be bothered to try to learn it. But when people go over the top with their "horrible, cataclysmic" stories, well...I'm sorry. But no. :dog:

Steve
Hyperbole, maybe. But the change from Sonar 8.5 to X1, IMHO, was cataclysmic in the sense that the inteface, navigation and workflow changed completely. It was like changing DAWs altogether. It was a brave decision, but, yes, it was horrible for many users. Maybe not for you, if you were one.

About Roland, they bought a controlling part of the company, and some time after that Greg Hendershott, the founder, sold the rest and left. The product got no love from Roland, and it showed that they were a hardware company. During those times I had to complain because Roland Iberia did not even sell upgrades in Spain, but Roland made impossible to buy them online. I sent a personal email to Greg Hendershott, who kindly replied within two hours, with copy to Roland Japan.

What followed was a little corporate shitstorm in a teacup, with top managers of Roland Iberia apologizing to me (cc Roland Japan) and the upgrade finally showing up. Shortly after, the online shop was up again and I did not have to deal with Roland again. Anyway, Roland did not seem to be very interested in selling the product, and when Hendershott left the company things got even worse, until they finally sold the company to Gibson.

OTOH Gibson did fine with the product, but their own financial troubles made then stop development. Very different situations.
I'll grant you that the interface, navigation and workflow changed, but to be fair, that wasn't just on a whim. They tested it with users before rolling it out. (And I think we can all agree it wasn't as bad as Windows 8's interface redesign/debacle.)

It's too bad you had to go through that situation with Roland Iberia, but I think it's pretty cool that you contacted Gregg, he responded quickly, and he got them to do what they should have been doing in the first place. I'll agree that Roland didn't seem interested in doing much with Cakewalk. The prevailing assumption at the time was that Roland bought Cakewalk to get a foothold (and some IP) in the software/VSTi market, much like Yamaha's relationship with Steinberg. At the time, Roland had nothing, really.

And yes, GIbson's situation was quite different. It'll just be a matter of time before they sell off Tascam and some of the other stuff they bought, too. Glad I'm not still looking for the next PortaStudio.... :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 am For many, Cakewalk Sonar has shed it's 9 lives...it's future is highly questionable and right now it's like a ship which has sunk to the bottom of the sea and Bandlab trying to rescue it in their salvage tug...
This is actually quite hilarious...Lots of visuals with these lines...You should write comedy because it's good...take a bow :lol:
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 am how long will that winch will hold is debatable...some people still wanna get a free ride and throw their safety lines away, some have taken a different option and bought their own boat with another line for safe measure just in case...and there's those that won't ever jump in that ship ever again in a serious way because they almost drowned...
Time will tell I guess,but Bandlab are making an effort to re-float the ship and I think that they should be commended for that...Cakewalk is a solid DAW and they are focusing their efforts on making it better...

And it is better...you can feel it when you are working with the program...

When people talk about old code,perhaps they should look at all of the DAWs out there and do a comparison...Cubase,Samplitude,Reaper and the rest of the usual suspects are basically the same age as Cakewalk...Sonar X1 was the start of the new codebase for Cakewalk...The new kid on the block is Studio One and those programmers brought a lot of their coding skills from Cubase...

Try working with Samplitude :bang:

I've had lots of pops and farts in Studio One 3 and I've never had one in Cakewalk since version X3e...

Most of the issues with Cakewalk have played out because of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing by Gibson...In all honesty,we don't hear about all of the shxt storms that go on behind the scenes in many of the other companies that we subscribe to...We only see their happy public face...

So let's give Bandlab some credit for the ressurection and allow time to be the judge here because often in our rush to pass judgement, the truth is the first casualty to be defeated :wink:
No auto tune...

I haven't gotten into zplane élastique as yet. The music production i'm using Cakewalk for is combination of purely Midi driven softsynths and live audio recording. I don't mess with audio loops and the Matrix view. I'm enjoying Cakewalk so much that I also use it as my guitar rig. No cranking up of hardware guitar amps and stomp boxes for me. I have configured an effects chain consisting of several software amps and stomp boxes that I use for either practicing or recording live into Cakewalk. It provides several options for recording a guitar such as a dry signal from the audio interface or with a guitar amp and effects engaged. The image below shows a signal chain - dry signal into CA2A compressor---->Guitar amp---->Sonitus Delay---->Oril River reverb.

DB

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 am

But if anyone wants to look at the title of this thread and you wanna talk about zplane élastique V3... regardless of whether you are interested in CbB or not, here's a video showing it implemented in Reaper in 2014... It's pretty much the same thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8YAWl6v8xk

Cakewalk have been using their own realtime time stretching and pitch shifting algorythms for a long time, and iZotope Radius for offline rendering. What they have done now is implementing Elastique, while keeping iZotope Radius.

Elastique is better than the old realtime algos, but Radius is still recommended for offline rendering in most cases, especially for vocals.

The developers have stated that the reason for implementing Elastique, besides improving Audiosnap in the recent October update, is making possible other planned new features. I don't know how many lives CbB has left, but they sure are very much alive now, I would say more than at the end of the Gibson period.

DeBro wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:41 pmI'm enjoying Cakewalk so much that I also use it as my guitar rig. No cranking up of hardware guitar amps and stomp boxes for me. I have configured an effects chain consisting of several software amps and stomp boxes[/img]
Cakewalk's old z3ta+ 1.5 multi-effects .dll is
great for guitar, hundreds of pro synth multi-effects
presets that just happen to sound great on guitars, too.
And the gui is a breeze for editing/saving more.
Cheers

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 am It's been pretty clear that know body is even in the slightest way interested in talking about
The intrancer.

planetearth wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 am
scook wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:55 pm
ruslan.st wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 pm In drums when loop plays and soundsets are changed sometimes it stops playing - play button next to soundset browser turns off, or sometimes loop button turns off.
Looks like a bug. Probably should not allow samples to be swapped while playing. Never tried loading/unloading samples on the fly.
I've swapped out entire Kontakt, Session Drummer, Addictive Drums and other libraries on the fly, without playback stopping or anything like this.

It might be helpful to know which "soundset" and drum plug-in we're talking about here, to see if anyone else can shed some light on it and help.

Steve
It was about Cakewalk Studio Instruments, "SI-Drum Kit". When loop is started inside plugin and in program browser there is selected "Natural Kit [199MB]" or "Room Kit [220MB]" (or several other kits), loop stops playing. Anyway, it's minor.

More important things for me for now is to figure out how to make midi loops to play properly in Media Browser. Most midi loops end up abruptly and next iteration starts too early.
And I cannot figure out how to color notes in midi editor by note midi channel.
Are there any options? Or these cannot be changed?

ruslan.st wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:16 am

More important things for me for now is to figure out how to make midi loops to play properly in Media Browser. Most midi loops end up abruptly and next iteration starts too early.
Have you checked the Media Browser option to play loops at project tempo?

AFAIK you cannot color notes by channel within the same clip and track, but there might be a workaround. I've never tried to do that.

JoseC. wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 am

AFAIK you cannot color notes by channel within the same clip and track, but there might be a workaround. I've never tried to do that.
Yes, tried changing "Play loops at project tempo" option (also "Loop preview" option), but it has no influence.
Thank you regarding note coloring.

dellboy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 am It's been pretty clear that know body is even in the slightest way interested in talking about
The intrancer.
:tu:

ruslan.st wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:08 pm
JoseC. wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 am

Yes, tried changing "Play loops at project tempo" option (also "Loop preview" option), but it has no influence.
Thank you regarding note coloring.
I am intrigued about your problem with midi loops. I have been trying to repro your problem using different types of midi files and I cannot really make it fail. What kind of loops are you using? Are you getting problems with all of them? Do they line up right if you import them?

I've also tried to find some way to color the notes differently by channel in the same track, but it seems that it is not possible. Notes in the piano roll always follow the track color. Your only option seems to be to use a track per channel, and edit in multiview in the piano roll.

JoseC. wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm
I am intrigued about your problem with midi loops. I have been trying to repro your problem using different types of midi files and I cannot really make it fail. What kind of loops are you using? Are you getting problems with all of them? Do they line up right if you import them?
I put video showing the problem. I created one bar simple kick-snare loop on every beat. Clip loops properly in sequencer, but when I drag it to Media Browser it plays sloppy way. Seems end of the bar is not handled properly. Most other loops I have (e.g. grooves from NI Studio Drummer) also play sloppy way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVkEpUY ... e=youtu.be

I see the problem. It is working fine, you just need to define the clip duration right for it to loop correctly. What you are dragging to the Browser now is a seven eigth note clip. Just select the clip in the track for the total one bar duration, and hit CTL-L, to make it a groove clip, then drag it to the Browser. In the description at the bottom of the Browser when you select it, it will show now that it is 4 beat long, and that it is now loopable.

JoseC. wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 am I see the problem. It is working fine, you just need to define the clip duration right for it to loop correctly. What you are dragging to the Browser now is a seven eigth note clip. Just select the clip in the track for the total one bar duration, and hit CTL-L, to make it a groove clip, then drag it to the Browser. In the description at the bottom of the Browser when you select it, it will show now that it is 4 beat long, and that it is now loopable.
Yes, it works that way.
But what to do if I have many 3rd party midi loops? Is there the way to "groove clip" them in batch?

ruslan.st wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:31 am Yes, it works that way.
But what to do if I have many 3rd party midi loops? Is there the way to "groove clip" them in batch?
READ THE MANUAL !
No auto tune...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”